The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Walmart buys Jet.com for 3.3 BILLION

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
This guy does it again.....

So they build up Jet.com pretty quickly using coupon codes to gain the vast majority of their users. A lot of abuse of those codes too. Probably ate a bunch of losses. But it got them a ton of users and Walmart just paid for it.

Not entirely sure how many people use Jet just in general, without using those new customer coupon deals. But gotta hand it to this guy. This was his goal when he set out and he got it done pretty damn fast. Same guy that got Diapers.com acquired.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/08/technology/walmart-jet-deal-amazon/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used Jet once. Thought it sucked. Never used it again. (From a consumer standpoint.)

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Happy for him :)

Mattyg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 13, 2016
I used Jet once. Thought it sucked. Never used it again. (From a consumer standpoint.)
Thats why I gotta stop being perfect and just start! So many businesses suck out there that do just fine!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Anyone selling on jet.com? Am looking into it now....

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
This guy does it again.....

So they build up Jet.com pretty quickly using coupon codes to gain the vast majority of their users. A lot of abuse of those codes too. Probably ate a bunch of losses. But it got them a ton of users and Walmart just paid for it.

Not entirely sure how many people use Jet just in general, without using those new customer coupon deals. But gotta hand it to this guy. This was his goal when he set out and he got it done pretty damn fast. Same guy that got Diapers.com acquired.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/08/technology/walmart-jet-deal-amazon/

I used it for the last year and was my go to online shopping site over amazon and walmart. in fact i chose it specfically to move away from supporting amazon.com and the bezos beast.

this sucks

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I thought this was an airline charter company lol ..never even heard of them.

On a side note, I ordered a few things from Walmart online for cheap and it was shipped/delivered to my door the next day. Quite pleased.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
I thought this was an airline charter company lol ..never even heard of them.

On a side note, I ordered a few things from Walmart online for cheap and it was shipped/delivered to my door the next day. Quite pleased.

yep everyone should look into jet and walmart. jet was deliving me next day or 2 for free vs waiting forever with amazon. Amazon is the past now and just trying to maintain what they built. Bezos sold 750 million in stock last week. He is happy isn't he

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
yep everyone should look into jet and walmart. jet was deliving me next day or 2 for free vs waiting forever with amazon. Amazon is the past now and just trying to maintain what they built. Bezos sold 750 million in stock last week. He is happy isn't he

He still owns another 62billion in stock though.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
He still owns another 62billion in stock though.

he is too busy spreading propaganda at the Washington Post now to worry

and obviously entreprenuers are very eager to sell out in today's economy for the right price vs to compete with online monopolies like Amazon

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011

Huh? You must not have Prime. Jet has many many many horror stories out there of slow shipping because they do not control the shipping of all their products. Not to mention all the price errors they have had. Amazon hasn't even really started yet as far as being a powerhouse goes.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
he is too busy spreading propaganda at the Washington Post now to worry

and obviously entreprenuers are very eager to sell out in today's economy for the right price vs to compete with online monopolies like Amazon

You're calling Marc Lore a "sellout", but he just became a billionaire. So you're saying you'd rather work hard for the next twenty years, and hope you can take on a behemoth instead of guaranteeing yourself a spot among the global elite?

ewiBdUEdtqrxS.gif

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Huh? You must not have Prime. Jet has many many many horror stories out there of slow shipping because they do not control the shipping of all their products. Not to mention all the price errors they have had. Amazon hasn't even really started yet as far as being a powerhouse goes.

never had 1 issue, got stuff overnite for free

I can see why walmart wanted them and I can see why he sold out. MONEY $$$$$$$$ Sure some employees and consumers like me wanted to SEE THEM LAST INDEPENDENTLY though

ps, that is what zuckerterd did...

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
never had 1 issue, got stuff overnite for free

I can see why walmart wanted them and I can see why he sold out. MONEY $$$$$$$$ Sure some employees and consumers like me wanted to SEE THEM LAST INDEPENDENTLY though

ps, that is what zuckerterd did...

Overnight for free huh, wow thats some deal. Did they give out free puppies too?

As for the other part...im not all that sure what you are even doing here with that kind of mindset.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
This guy spent 18 THOUSAND USD on getting referrals.
that article said:
On paper, Eric Martin is now a millionaire, with a big stake in one of the most hotly anticipated start-ups in years. He likely won’t be able to exercise his options for years.

It'll be interesting to see how that turns out for him. Who knows how they will value those stocks. Not sure what they will do after this buyout
"The options are only worth money if the company is successful at raising money at a future date and time." And so they did.. sort of

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Overnight for free huh, wow thats some deal. Did they give out free puppies too?

As for the other part...im not all that sure what you are even doing here with that kind of mindset.

sometimes you want companies to remain independent and not cut from the same cloth of every other wall st bigwhig.

if people wanted walmart or amazon ...Jet's consumerbase would have just bought from them instead

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
sometimes you want companies to remain independent and not cut from the same cloth of every other wall st bigwhig.

if people wanted walmart or amazon ...Jet's consumerbase would have just bought from them instead

Most people in business hope to reach this day at some point. We arent selling tie dye shirts on the corner. And that was obviously this guys plan from the start and he aggressively pursued it.

Jet has a bunch of customers because of how they got customers. Aggressive pricing with 15-20% off coupons. They werent even trying to make money. They were trying to amass a ton of traffic and buyers for the reason of attracting a buyout.

Theres not many people shopping at Jet because of the quality of the site, or shipping time or customer service. Im curious to see what happens with it from here. Its possible Walmart makes them more of a viable competitor.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I feel like it's crazy irresponsible to focus solely on user acquisition with no aim to monetization/profitability.

On the other hand, they have $3,300,000,000.00 more than me now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.