The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Viral Marketing (RACISM)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hello! Just had a fresh idea in my head & wanted to hear some thoughts!

Do you think it would be a bad idea to include racist humor in a marketing video? Yeh yeh, sounds like insanity but hear me out, sure people have different styles of humor like Louis CK or Dave Chapelle, but what if we had a funny poke at a certain demographic that would actually feature the person race being targeted?

For example, everyone knows the typical joke about Asians and driving. If you had a simple product, showcasing Asian people in a car driving around and making jokes to each other in a demonstration marketing video (lets just say the product is GPS mounted on the windshield and the said Asian people are struggling to navigate around so the solution to their problem is using the GPS)

Is that social suicide? I feel like a funny video like that would spread like wildfire on Instagram & Youtube, netting tens of millions of views online and a % of front end sales?

Crazy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Is this a serious post?

100% more serious than the potential type 2 diabetes I might actually have.

Thinking outside of the box, and might be delusional enough to believe it has some potential. The problem is different people might laugh like myself, make fun of Canadians and I won't really have a problem with it, some may take offense though which could potentially alienate a % of the market share but potentially netting a sale from the laughing crew.

In the example above, lets say I'm marketing the Garmin GPS, and you have a group of Asian people driving around totally lost. One person pulls out a Garmin product and saves the day with this magical product. At the end of the video/commercial/ad, a buy now option pops up (phone number or buy now button)

That video alone would set you apart from all the other companies marketing a GPS and tens of millions of people would be talking about a ''racist'' video, furthering a huge shitstorm of discussion about the controversial video that XXX company made. Then you have the media or whatever blogger talking about you & it grows and grows.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
Good luck with your "be racist to make a sale" goal of 2020.

For an established business, this is a terrible idea. If you have a loan shark knocking on your door, this may be your only choice. There are ways to conduct a viral marketing campaign without offence. I remember the Dollar Shave Club did very well with theirs.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
I think you meant to say that Asians are not good at being techie
It can be anybody
I think you meant stereotype, not racism

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
There's like a hyper specific way of doing what you're talking about (think all in the family or always sunny in philadelphia), where, in theory, the audience is supposed to be laughing AT the racist/ sexist/ whateverist person. Even that lands in very controversial territory, and doesn't age well.

I vote crazy, given there's a billion other ways to market a product.

abc-thinks-television-is-so-easy-even-a-caveman-could-do-it.jpeg

Isaunders

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
May 14, 2019

Do you think it would be a bad idea to include racist humor in a marketing video? Yeh yeh, sounds like insanity but hear me out, sure people have different styles of humor like Louis CK or Dave Chapelle, but what if we had a funny poke at a certain demographic that would actually feature the person race being targeted?

For example, everyone knows the typical joke about Asians and driving. If you had a simple product, showcasing Asian people in a car driving around and making jokes to each other in a demonstration marketing video (lets just say the product is GPS mounted on the windshield and the said Asian people are struggling to navigate around so the solution to their problem is using the GPS)

Is that social suicide? I feel like a funny video like that would spread like wildfire on Instagram & Youtube, netting tens of millions of views online and a % of front end sales?

Crazy?
While I admire your boldness and unconventional thought process, my first gut reaction was “This is awful!” and I don’t believe this would be a good approach. There are better ways to make money than to sink to that level.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
You willl have traction: YES
You will make sales: I doubt it.

People tend not to want to be associated with things that are being destroyed on social media and that is what would happen with the company when you disseminate something even remotely possible to be taken badly.

Would love to see it succeed though. Cheering for you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Well that got shot down pretty quick!

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019
Thinking outside of the box, and might be delusional enough to believe it has some potential. The problem is different people might laugh like myself, make fun of Canadians and I won't really have a problem with it

I think you show lack of empathy what really can hurt others.

The point is your idea on Controversial Marketing based on cultural stereotypes is Old School Marketing. Back in the days people had to write letters and sent them to your office to show you how much they hated your commercial. Today everybody has access to the internet and they can destroy your reputation on Twitter and Co easily in 2 minutes. If you have more bad luck you will become the Hot Topic on your local News Channel based on the Sh*t Storm on all the Social Media platforms you give access for the public.

The today's Controversial Marketing works different. This kind of Marketing makes more money by trying to put the minority in the positive light. Like let 2 women drink from one Coca Cola bottle with drinking straws. You will trigger two groups of people. The one who feel supported or attacked on their believe system by your ad.

Dont discriminate minorities. Work with them.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
This is a terrible idea. Did you not see what happened to H&M over an ad that was merely perceived as racist?

Do you even find this funny? I don't. It's not even groundbreaking humour, it's just a dumb stereotype seems like a cheap attempt at making a joke.

Louis CK and Dave Chapelle are comedy masters. You have to be pretty arrogant to think you can just rip off their comedy and make it work for you. So far you're off to a bad start.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Sounds like a quick way to get banned on the marketing platform like youtube and instalgram.

let me give you a safer idea if you want to achieve viral marketing through mocking at someone. Pick President Donald Trump.

1) You are not targeting race/religion/gender/sexual orientation
2) You are leveraging on him being a celeb and a hot topic
3) Plenty of people actually hate him

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Ryan Holiday has some pretty good examples of purposely offending people to achieve viral transmission of an ad on a budget.

Unless being obnoxious is a core part of your brand I probably wouldn’t recommend it. The internet remembers forever.

I think in general your persuasion game has to be next level strong to be able to consistently turn offensiveness into a pro. For the other 99.9% of us, probably nothing good can come from it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Remember who owns the marketing vehicles; bleeding heart liberals
Much higher risk of unintended consequence than pissing off liberals.

If the OP really did a marketing video that cracked a racist joke on Asians, all it takes is for his competitor to copy the video and smear it with translations that make the video 10x more offensive and put it on Asian language forums.

Forget about the business, very soon OP will worry about receiving death threats.

There are hundred millions of Asian internet users living in Asian countries and they do not know English well.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I think you show lack of empathy what really can hurt others.

The point is your idea on Controversial Marketing based on cultural stereotypes is Old School Marketing. Back in the days people had to write letters and sent them to your office to show you how much they hated your commercial. Today everybody has access to the internet and they can destroy your reputation on Twitter and Co easily in 2 minutes. If you have more bad luck you will become the Hot Topic on your local News Channel based on the Sh*t Storm on all the Social Media platforms you give access for the public.

The today's Controversial Marketing works different. This kind of Marketing makes more money by trying to put the minority in the positive light. Like let 2 women drink from one Coca Cola bottle with drinking straws. You will trigger two groups of people. The one who feel supported or attacked on their believe system by your ad.

Dont discriminate minorities. Work with them.

The 2 women drinking from a coke bottle is the type of reaction I'm looking for, and what I'd be trying to achieve, triggering a huge reaction online and quickly explode either good or bad.

I was thinking of doing some similar sketches for an ad (short IG/FB clip) like Chapelles show I.E the Clayton Bigsby episode. Of course not as vulgar, but perhaps people wouldn't appreciate it.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
As an Asian, I personally wouldn't be offended if I see such an ad. Tbh, I never understand where the "asians are bad at driving" thing came from. Maybe there are more asian-related car accidents in the US per state?

The first thing I would think of, if I see only Asians in an ad, is that the company selling the product is from Asia. Also, I doubt such a video like you mention will even go viral. It's not "explicit" enough, making it in "not-there-nor-here" category aka mediocre. Unless your target market consist of people of X race who love to see Asians looking stupid and get a high from that, the idea won't fly. But then FB and Google might take down your ads even before any viewers complain about it.....

You can probably explore other ideas like the car getting chased by a ghost / monster (hinting at it indirectly in the video via visual/sound effects instead of actual thing) and the GPS saves them (e.g: takes them out of the infinite loop in the location). And in the opening scenes of the ad, you can attract attention by making it just like a ghost movie trailer, with the voice overs etc (good cheap ones on Peopleperhour and Fiverr).

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e5xbof0kZE

Here's an awesome example of something I'm shooting for. A group of white people talking like Jamaicans, its been well received in fact.

??????????

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Crazy?

Hmm, if you are talking about out and out racism, then sure, you'll probably get sales from other racists. However if you're talking about poking fun at a harmless stereotype about a group that DO NOT usually experience racism, then you've got a chance I suppose.

For instance a joke around "white men can't jump" great, most people will find it funny regardless of their ethnicity.

A joke about "black men can't take care of their kids" or "Jews have big noses" and you'll get the negative response you deserve.

Tough to really comment without actually seeing an example.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Nothing wrong with some humour in an Advert if it makes the point so I would agree with you there.

In the UK for example, beer companies use it effectively to get market penetration.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwkDGlpWJk

However your idea just seems to be:

1) People in car get lost. (Does it really matter who the drivers and passengers are?)

2) People in car use SatNav and now are no longer lost.

That is more of a new product to market campaign; so in the field of SatNavs is about 20 years out of date.

By the way the VW Ad is rubbish.

It is not offensive but it is also pointless. Some dimwits idea of'Hey guys I have a great idea'

VW US sales dropped. From 407,704 (2013) down to 366,970 (2014) - a 10% drop, then continued falling in subsequent years too.

Awesome, well received (your words) and a complete failure?

Dan

DragoonDB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 17, 2018
It's probably an unnecessary gamble. I'm not one to much care about everyone's sensitivities, especially with the rise of victim mentality and SJWs; but to know I may have to endure listening to the grievances of these groups is not something I'd willingly do - unless that was my desired result. Besides, benefit/value communication is going to be stronger and longer lasting (versus shock value).

My other concern (or, more likely, my wish) is that companies stop apologizing to these groups. If you blatantly crossed the line, that's one thing. But can we please stop saying "sorry" based on any John or Jane Doe that feels offended? Maybe it's a naive hope, but I'd love to see more companies take stands against these people and give them a good old "f*** off".

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Business is race, sex, religion, and colorblind.

Business is business.... and business is inclusive.

You should be learning how to build rapport with people, not shatter it.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

Sure, business is business. I'm sure he gets that.

He's just trying to find a way to make content that goes viral - content that is shareable, that's remarkable, that's sensational, or as MJ puts it content that is "productocracy".

Any tips on how to create viral content for his audience ?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I imagine you sitting cross legged on the side of a mountain somewhere, to the sound of wooden pipes, whilst saying this :cool:

#Confucius

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
When it comes to sales best to stick with what is proven and tested.

I can't think of a single success racist ad campaign.
I can think of lots of unsuccess attempts though that went down in flames.

There are 100s of other approaches that are way less risky that would get a much better and reliable ROI.

Could it work? Maaaaaaaybe.
Is it worth taking the risk with your own business? No.

*Also
unlike any other approach if it doesn't work it will have done damage to your personal reputation.
No one says "oh there is that guy that lost money on FB ads", they will say "oh there is that racist dude" through.

I couldn't think of more needlessly risky business move in the current political environment.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I’m gonna go against the grain and say this depends entirely on the product you’re selling, and the expectations set for your brand.

Where giant corporations get in trouble is they brand themselves as inclusive, yet their ads are perceived as racist. There’s a disconnect which causes the outrage.

Say you’re selling American flag pants...most likely your target market is conservatives with American Pride.

Here’s your controversial ad: A man wearing the pants walks to the Starbucks bathroom, sees signs that say “Gay”, “Queer”, “Non-Binary”, “Gender-Fluid”.

Then increasingly more ridiculous ones like “Fish”, “Attack Helicopter”, “Michael Jackson”.

He instead walks into the bathroom labeled “American”.

Roll credits.

Offensive to some, relatable to many.

And as the outrage grows, your market only wants to support you more to piss off the crybabies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.