The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Valuation question. SaaS business

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

dude_abides

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2017
California
Hi Fastlaners,
I'm trying to help a colleague value a business.
It is a cloud based software for professional users (e.g., CPA, FP, Lawyers, etc.). They have approximately 5000 subscribers (monthly users).
The revenue is approximately 1 million per year. Their EBITA is approximately 500k per year.
Somewhere I have heard that 10x multiple is the going rate for valuation in SaaS software.
At 10x revenue is the valuation $10 million? Is 10x the correct multiple. Is valuation typically calculated on Revenue or EBITA?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey man, I'm working on my SaaS startup and have been researching this stuff for months.
Valuation multiples are part of why I finally decided to switch from my high-end tutoring to SaaS.

Of course - take what I'm saying with a HUGE grain of salt.
This is no kind of professional advice, just one more data point for you.
I could quite possibly be WRONG. And every situation is different.
Also, sorry if you know all this already.

First, I would say 10x is *on net earnings*, or EBITA in other words.
So probably 5 million is the valuation for a SaaS company with $500k annual profit after expenses but before taxes.
Yes, 10x is a common standard for recurring-revenue SaaS companies above a certain size (I'd say yours would definitely qualify).

Usually the bigger you get, the higher your multiple becomes.
If I remember right, some of the biggest, fastest-growing SaaS enterprises have had 80-100x valuations.

Current *user growth rate* is also a MAJOR factor in any SaaS valuation.
A fast-growing userbase deserves a much higher valuation than a stagnant userbase, for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps :)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
A SAAS business has to be valued on EBITA as profit margins vary greatly. You might have a $100m annual turnover but only a $200k EBITA for example. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is reality after all.

If the market based valuations on total fiction you could hypothetically value a business that lost $900m in the last two years at around 30 billion. But that would never happen in the real world.

Oh wait, what was that? Snapchat?? WTF? :wideyed:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.