The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using templates?

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
I'm not particularly artistic or good at design so I asked my brother if he would design my website as a screen-shot for me to code later because he used to do graphic design and he's quite good at it. I don't really think he can be bothered to do it and he told me to just use a free template. A template would probably work for the smaller one of my projects but it's not possible to use one for my main website which is a social networking website. I'm a bit reluctant to use one on even my smaller website because I don't want people to see the same design elsewhere. What are your opinions on using a template. Would I be better off with a fairly poorly designed website than a free template or should I just modify the template a little bit to make it look slightly different?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Templates can often be customized very effectively if you're comfortable with a bit of design work. If not, it's a simple choice:

1. learn to code it yourself
2. hire someone
3. deal with a template in it's stock form

my experience is that no template, no matter the cost, will ultimately work out of the box. You're gonna need to tweak it. Dive in man...learning to perform basic tweaks on websites is not that hard if you have some time and the inclination to learn a bit. If time is pressed, hiring someone who knows what the heck they're doing is always a preferred option.

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I worded my question very well. I'm slowly but surely learning to code but its the actual design that I'm not very good at. I don't have a particularly artistic eye so I'm not very good at create something which is aesthetically pleasing. What I was asking was, is it ok to use templates on websites or should they be avoided encase somebody sees the template on other websites and thinks it looks pretty unprofessional?

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery" so using templates would be totaly acceptable. Of course, you will modify to suit your tastes e.g. color, fonts, etc.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I've used a template for all my sites. Why reinvent the wheel? Start with something you like and dive in :)

kansascity

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2010
kansas city
I've used a template for all my sites. Why reinvent the wheel? Start with something you like and dive in :)

exactly - but also templates can look very professional and like you are the authority in your niche and like you just dropped 10,000$ when really u just dropped 50bucks.

but you have to learn how to edit flash sites to really make them look good and not spend an arm and a leg getting them tweeked for your likings.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
In my long experience I have learned the hard way that in business it is usually better to start sooner with a less than ideal solution than to spend a lot of time striving for the ideal solution and losing opportunities in the meantime.

So, Paul my advice would be to use a template and get going a.s.a.p.
Once your site starts making you money you can let someone design something nicer for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.