The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make 2000€ a week (!) by carrying self-publishing services to non-tech people

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
I've struck some gold, it seems. And the market is big enough for a lot of other players, I guess. The best thing is: You don't really have to learn a lot as long as you can read and write. It'll probably dry up, but should keep the electricity on for some time.

I thought about starting a clear out company after I helped some older people move. They wanted us to throw away such a lot of really useful stuff. I asked them if I could keep some of it (because technically, it belongs to them, and when thrown out, to the garbage disposal), and (being honest) told them that a lot of people would pay good money for it on the internet. The answer was: "Noooo, nooooo. The internet. I don't know that stuff. You can keep it."

It's yesterday's news that a lot of people still don't know the internet. So they got no idea about the services offered or how to use them. Good thing is: We do!

Since publishing and self-publishing is an industry I'm very familiar with (partially owned a comic book publisher, worked for a science publisher, as a translator, self-published), I thought to myself: "Hrrrm. I think there are a lot of people who don't know how to self-publish using the internet but would love to get their books printed."

I had to test this idea. I advertised in the local newspaper (costing me 12.25€): "Have you written a book? Surprise your loved ones. I'll help you get it printed. (number)"

Dingdingding!

Within the first week, I had four customers. I'm pretty sure there's an American equivalent (or many of those equivalents), but in Germany, bod.de leads the market on self-publishing. The prices are fair, and as long you know how to set a script (which I am more than capable of after doing this dozens of times), you're good to go. You gotta use another tool for designing a cover, though, because the one they offer is horrible. (Canva actually comes in very handy, here)

I gave a freelance job to a friend of mine to digitalize a handwritten manuscript. I outsourced editing to friends of mine from Uni. All of that was charged extra.

I walked away with 500€ per book for just showing up, talking about book sizes and paper, and going through the BOD process, and designing four book covers (which got me 50€ extra, again, but you could outsource that, too). Publishing and print costs are on the customer, too, of course.

Honestly, I'm scrapping consulting for the time being. I'm gonna find out which other services people obviously don't know about. I hope business continues this way and those weren't the only four people wanting to get their books out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.