The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Understanding timeshares and vacation clubs

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I recently got back from my trip to Orlando with the boo to celebrate our anniversary :). We arrived there due to a BlueGreen Resort offer in which we had to view their program. We also ended up looking at a Latitudes Vacation Club program to score some cheap Disney tickets. Both kinda offered similar items (cheap hotels and points) but had their own costs and fees. It almost looks like a good hustle if I can sell my rooms to other people for profit and have them pay off the fees and such. With Bluegreen, I would actually have a deed and I've heard horror stories about some of that side of things. Latitudes asked for a higher input amount, but only have a cheap maintenance fee. I was curious if anyone here has experience with these. Hoping to hear some words of wisdom from @JScott.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
I recently got back from my trip to Orlando with the boo to celebrate our anniversary :). We arrived there due to a BlueGreen Resort offer in which we had to view their program. We also ended up looking at a Latitudes Vacation Club program to score some cheap Disney tickets. Both kinda offered similar items (cheap hotels and points) but had their own costs and fees. It almost looks like a good hustle if I can sell my rooms to other people for profit and have them pay off the fees and such. With Bluegreen, I would actually have a deed and I've heard horror stories about some of that side of things. Latitudes asked for a higher input amount, but only have a cheap maintenance fee. I was curious if anyone here has experience with these. Hoping to hear some words of wisdom from @JScott.
Happy anniversary, @foodiepersecond! The thing about vacation club memberships is that you don't have control, and your financial situation changes over time. I didn't want to get into anything that I couldn't get out of.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Happy anniversary, @foodiepersecond! The thing about vacation club memberships is that you don't have control, and your financial situation changes over time. I didn't want to get into anything that I couldn't get out of.
To what extent do we not have control? They advertise it as they can look at something peak time, say New Years Eve in NYC, and you can get great hotel deals for that time while accumulating points.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
To what extent do we not have control? They advertise it as they can look at something peak time, say New Years Eve in NYC, and you can get great hotel deals for that time while accumulating points.
I don't own a timeshare, and I'm sure you will do your own due diligence. When I googled Bluegreen I found this. They have some interesting points.

I don't know what your financial status is, or if you intended to finance, but I don't believe in financing things, especially if they are unnecessary, but maybe you weren't planning on financing, anyway.

By control, I mean primarily: what if you get into a financial situation that requires you sell your timeshare. From what I read on that link above, you practically have to give it away because the 2nd owner might not have the same rights as the original owner. All things considered - cost of the timeshare, maintenance fees, cost to transfer points - does it workout to be a good deal for you financially? I don't think they usually do, and I never wanted to get locked in to a particular type of vacation or staying at a particular place, because my interests and finances change over time.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't own a timeshare, and I'm sure you will do your own due diligence. When I googled Bluegreen I found this. They have some interesting points.

I don't know what your financial status is, or if you intended to finance, but I don't believe in financing things, especially if they are unnecessary, but maybe you weren't planning on financing, anyway.

By control, I mean primarily: what if you get into a financial situation that requires you sell your timeshare. From what I read on that link above, you practically have to give it away because the 2nd owner might not have the same rights as the original owner. All things considered - cost of the timeshare, maintenance fees, cost to transfer points - does it workout to be a good deal for you financially? I don't think they usually do, and I never wanted to get locked in to a particular type of vacation or staying at a particular place, because my interests and finances change over time.
I see. Thats why the vacation rental sounded better because I payed a higher fee in the begging and then pay a very low and affordable annual fee. I didn't have a deed so I wasn't locked into anything.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I worked with Club Wyndham as a front desk associate years ago. Based on that experience alone, I would never recommend any type of timeshare.

I was involved in the hospitality side and not the vacation club side, but I saw people come into our lobby crying because their parents or grandparents had passed away, and all they wanted to do was get rid of their timeshare.

Maybe there was some fine print they didn't read that they should have, but they weren't given any help to get out of the timeshare. They were usually just given a phone number and sent on their way. If they were given anything, they were booked on another tour, where they were pressured into buying more points. It's real-life bro marketing.

They also aren't as easy to book as they'd like you to think. And you aren't likely to get that room in NYC on NYE either.

I can't speak for BlueGreen, I might be jaded, and maybe things have changed over the years, but I cringe every time someone tells me they bought a timeshare.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I’m from Florida, I’ve grown up around this stuff.

Dont get a timeshare.

Don’t get a vacation club rental.

The only people who win are the sales reps.

If you really want to do something like this, but houses in Orlando and AirBnB them.

Ps, those “free” vacations you got? You’re going to get hit with a HUGE tax bill at the end of the year for those.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.