A little while back I posted about Sublime Text 2 and I'm still going strong with it. It's a great code editor for any language.
For those of you with multi-monitor setups... I recently got Display Fusion (DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar, Multi-Monitor Screen Savers, HotKeys, Multi-Monitor Wallpaper, Windows Logon Changer and more!). The multi-monitor task bars alone make it worth the $25 for pro, or $35 for unlimited computers. When I get a full staff on board, I will definitely be getting their enterprise package so everyone on board can use it.
For real development purposes, my struggle had been with managing my MySQL database. Anytime I wanted to alter a table, manually insert records, or make serious changes, I was always left struggling at a pace several times slower than had it been with Sql Server and Management Studio. I was using the opensource MySQL Workbench, but it just wasn't cutting it.
If you search online for SQL editors, you'll find hundreds of people have made them. Why so oversaturated? I have NO, FREAKING, IDEA. It took me about twenty downloads until I found a gem... HeidiSQL (HeidiSQL - MySQL made easy). I haven't yet made a donation but that may be on my list of things to do today, because this software is superb.
The GUI looks like it was probably done in WinForms, and has a very familiar layout. The software allows you to connect to any database I believe (not just MySQL), and instantly start making changes or modifying the data. If you go into the query tab and run a query, you can actually edit and commit changes right there in a data grid. For documentation and scripting purposes, you can export anything to SQL files or import new ones to add.
If you're currently using phpMyAdmin or MySQL Workbench and looking for something more... give a download. It's free software, but as always, support your fellow developers with a kind donation.
Not sure this post will apply to everyone on the forum, but I hope it pointed a few people in the direction like the Sublime thread did!
For those of you with multi-monitor setups... I recently got Display Fusion (DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar, Multi-Monitor Screen Savers, HotKeys, Multi-Monitor Wallpaper, Windows Logon Changer and more!). The multi-monitor task bars alone make it worth the $25 for pro, or $35 for unlimited computers. When I get a full staff on board, I will definitely be getting their enterprise package so everyone on board can use it.
For real development purposes, my struggle had been with managing my MySQL database. Anytime I wanted to alter a table, manually insert records, or make serious changes, I was always left struggling at a pace several times slower than had it been with Sql Server and Management Studio. I was using the opensource MySQL Workbench, but it just wasn't cutting it.
If you search online for SQL editors, you'll find hundreds of people have made them. Why so oversaturated? I have NO, FREAKING, IDEA. It took me about twenty downloads until I found a gem... HeidiSQL (HeidiSQL - MySQL made easy). I haven't yet made a donation but that may be on my list of things to do today, because this software is superb.
The GUI looks like it was probably done in WinForms, and has a very familiar layout. The software allows you to connect to any database I believe (not just MySQL), and instantly start making changes or modifying the data. If you go into the query tab and run a query, you can actually edit and commit changes right there in a data grid. For documentation and scripting purposes, you can export anything to SQL files or import new ones to add.
If you're currently using phpMyAdmin or MySQL Workbench and looking for something more... give a download. It's free software, but as always, support your fellow developers with a kind donation.
Not sure this post will apply to everyone on the forum, but I hope it pointed a few people in the direction like the Sublime thread did!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
