The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Turned down corporate marketing job @ 20 with no degree

Marketing, social media, advertising

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Man, it feels good to be on the inside!

I swore I would buy an INSIDERS subscription when I made my first $1000 providing value to others, and it was one of the best promises I've ever made with myself. As you can tell from this post, I've hit that first milestone.

If you go back on my account and look at my "progress thread", you'll see a lot of wantrepreneuring, and action faking. I like to think I've come a long way since then, although I'm still a long way from the Fastlane.

What happened? I stopped telling and started working.

So here's my story.

I'm 20 years young and am a self-taught photographer and videographer, who's recently become self-sufficient on purely freelance work, doing around $2000 a month. This is the most money I've ever made in my life, and it's upwards from here.

I did a lot of action faking, 'trying' ecommerce etc. But it was all BS with a lack of effort and execution. (I was selling a product for $15 which there was a youtube tutorial to make yourself for $5, lol.)

I also have a bit of experience in social media, from working and travelling with two social media influencers last year, which was the craziest experience of my life.

Current situation:

I just turned down a "dream job" at 20. I got offered to be head of digital marketing for the second biggest brewery in South Africa, for $2000 a month, with a $500 bonus if KPI's were hit. This would take away all of my freedom (I've built a small personal brand around action/adventure/lifestyle), have me working full time, and earning the same amount I'm earning now.

I was seriously considering taking it, just to build up capital and learn more about business etc, but I'm already doing that through freelance and enjoying it more. This video sums it up pretty well: Gary Vay-Ner-Chuk on Instagram: “People have it upside down! After school or when you hit 18,21 people think they have to go conservative and get a “real job” in fact the…” (sorry if you hate Gary Vee lol)

Going forward:

I'm currently self-studying my degree, which I absolutely hate. I have an internal argument daily about whether I should drop out, but for the time being, I'm going to keep going at it, and freelance to build up an income, personal brand, and capital. The problem I'm having at the moment is that it's all hands-on time for my freelance work, which leaves me little time to work "on the business". In the next 4 months, I want to scale out into more of an agency, with other filmmakers below me to help reach more clients, while maintaining quality.

Also on the cards is a photography specific digital product store. I helped the influencers I worked with launch their own version of this last year, and they did $100 000 in the first week, and a steady $15000 a month going forward. A lot of that was through their personal audience of about 1M followers, but I have some cool ideas to differentiate from whats already on the market, and reach new markets.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Today was spent editing a bunch of personal content, and finalizing shoot dates for next week.

Next week I'm fully booked shoot wise (Except for Sunday, which is good because I'll be exhausted), and at ~ $200 a day, with Saturday being $500 for the day, I'll come out with $1300 for the week.

I will then spend the next few weeks editing and studying (I have exams and projects, argh.), and building a quick and dirty Shopify store to test my digital product.

I'm glad I have these shoots, because it builds up a buffer of living expenses and capital which I can throw at my ideas, and which I can reinvest in more camera gear.

I quoted an apparel brand for $500 a month for ongoing photography work for their clothing, and $800 for a launch video they need done, but I don't have the time to film.

I think I'm going to sit on this income for a while, and try find a way to remove myself from the day to day work...

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
This is great. I feel genuinely happy for you reading this. Earning the most money ever in your life while still maintaining your financial security & personal freedom says a lot about your character. I only wish you could further separate your time from it. Knowing the nature of photography/cinematography I recommend that you consider employing/hiring someone to prevent the heavy time consumption.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.