The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 Something with a Fine Arts Degree

xoxojbelle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Hi All! So excited to be here.

I just finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted .

I'm 24. I graduated from college last year with a shit ton of debt and I have an ART DEGREE. (cue scary music)

Now it could be worse, but I am "one of the 'lucky' ones". While my peers were complaining about how they would never be able to find a job after school like all of the rest of the alumni, I was out carving out career possibilities with 4 internships, a killer portfolio, going to job fairs, and crafting stellar references. I was never afraid of hard work and I did everything that I was told was right.

In my major I am a magical unicorn, now working as a Web/ Graphic Designer for a Fortune 500 Company-- while others I graduated with in my major live at home, blaming everyone (society, government, cooperations ) but themselves for not being able to achieve their dreams. I make more than about 10 of them combined in a career I actually love (compared to so many others)-- So why isn't this enough for me?

As I am always in a mode of constant- never ending improvement and get-my-shit-togetherness, in this year I have been in a financial renaissance. My debt, as much as it is a curse, it is also a blessing because it's made me want more-- a life free of it and everything else holding me back from the life that I actually want to live.

Hearing the standard slow lane advice has been nothing short of depressing. Dave Ramsey. Tony Robbins, so much financial advise that made me want to just give in to the rat race and give up on my dreams of freedom.

I started to book I read a book called "Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money and the American Dream" recommended to me on Audible. In the first chapter I realized that this was not the American dream, this book was once again peddling the what I've now come to know as the slow-lane mentality of penny pinching, living like a freak, and dying rich ( if you're lucky ). I was so pissed off listening to it, that I broke down in tears in the middle of my lunch. I thought that if this was the only way to become wealthy, even if I am young, I was going to die before I ever got there. In my anguish I returned that piece of shit and out of blind hope and possibly divine intervention bought another reccommended book-- "The Millionaire Fastlane " audiobook.

I felt like that book was written just for me. I read both that and Unscripted in only 4 days, listening to both non-stop, and reading along when I could with the Kindle companions. The paper-back versions are in the mail from amazon as we speak. Yes I bought ALL 3 VERSIONS OF BOTH BOOKS.

As for a business, I am already a front-end designer and so now, I am learning full stack development. I feel advantaged because I already understand compelling design, some psychology, and marketing, so building saas web applications seems like a natural choice to me.

This was longer than I expected it to be. But I'm happy to be part of this community! Thank you so much for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Welcome! One of my degrees is in English; I think it was probably my most valuable (from a commercial perspective).

Be very careful about your work. A relative of mine worked for one of the most profitable companies in the world doing engineering. They basically owned everything she did, even at home on her own time in her own office. Dozens of patents, developed in the office and at home brainstorming, are all 100% property of her employer.

If you're making moves using the same skills you use at work, be VERY careful that somewhere deep in your contract isn't some clause that will allow your employer to pull the rug out from under you. It's usually smuggled in as a Trojan through software or hardware they give you. So, they give you a laptop and a creative cloud license, so that design you made at 11PM on a Saturday night now belongs to them.

This is hopefully boilerplate and you've already thought of it, but a lot of times, people are not aware that these sorts of legal stipulations are in place until they're hit with them, because they never produced anything really valuable OUTSIDE of work before, so their company never had cause to enforce them.

Enjoy this life-changing journey. Stick to it, and those loans won't be around much longer.

xoxojbelle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Welcome! One of my degrees is in English; I think it was probably my most valuable (from a commercial perspective).

Be very careful about your work. A relative of mine worked for one of the most profitable companies in the world doing engineering. They basically owned everything she did, even at home on her own time in her own office. Dozens of patents, developed in the office and at home brainstorming, are all 100% property of her employer.

If you're making moves using the same skills you use at work, be VERY careful that somewhere deep in your contract isn't some clause that will allow your employer to pull the rug out from under you. It's usually smuggled in as a Trojan through software or hardware they give you. So, they give you a laptop and a creative cloud license, so that design you made at 11PM on a Saturday night now belongs to them.

This is hopefully boilerplate and you've already thought of it, but a lot of times, people are not aware that these sorts of legal stipulations are in place until they're hit with them, because they never produced anything really valuable OUTSIDE of work before, so their company never had cause to enforce them.

Enjoy this life-changing journey. Stick to it, and those loans won't be around much longer.

Thank you very much for the reply!!!

This is not something that they discussed with me, so now I am going to go carefully look through my employee paperwork from onboarding to ensure this is not the case.

I do not receive any hardware, but I do receive a "free" creative cloud subscription for home, so I need to make sure that they don't own any rights to what I create with it. I should probably purchase my own version of the software so I don't run in to any additional problems. Thank you for this advice!

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Welcome!

You've a very impressive character that'll serve you well in life. Keep up your super amazing work and we'll do our best to support you!

Thanks for joining the forum and looking forward to seeing the fruits of your greatness!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was never afraid of hard work

Fact is, you're doing great already in a rigged system. I have no doubt you'll kill it as an entrepreneur, based on your intro, your background, and your perception of things.

I felt like that book was written just for me.

It was. ;)

I feel advantaged because I already understand compelling design, some psychology, and marketing, so building saas web applications seems like a natural choice to me.

:thumbsup:

But I'm happy to be part of this community!

And I'm happy I was able to open another pair of eyes. Welcome to the forum, thank you for giving my books a read, and I hope to see more of you here! Here's a toast to you for pursuing the dream and not resigning it to 50 years of Wall Street miracles and soul-sucking scarcity.

xoxojbelle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Welcome!

You've a very impressive character that'll serve you well in life. Keep up your super amazing work and we'll do our best to support you!

Thanks for joining the forum and looking forward to seeing the fruits of your greatness!
Thank you very much! I appreciate the support!

xoxojbelle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Fact is, you're doing great already in a rigged system. I have no doubt you'll kill it as an entrepreneur, based on your intro, your background, and your perception of things.

It was. ;)

:thumbsup:

And I'm happy I was able to open another pair of eyes. Welcome to the forum, thank you for giving my books a read, and I hope to see more of you here! Here's a toast to you for pursuing the dream and not resigning it to 50 years of Wall Street miracles and soul-sucking scarcity.
MJ! Your reply means a lot, thank you. I appreciate the system and the support! I've been reading a lot of the gold/notables and learning a ton.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I just listened a podcast today about how Steve Ells built Chipotle. Turns out he was a Art History major after college (went to the same one I'm about to graduate from).

So I guess you don't need a biz degree to turn a burrito joint into a $20 billion empire that revolutionizes the food industry.

Anyway, great intro. Seems like you will fit in here, goodluck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...