The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Transitioning out of the slowlane..

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
So I've been putting off posting a progress thread, partially because I guess I wanted to absorb as much information as possible, partly because I didn't want to put too much out there, and partially because over my younger years I'd gotten into an aweful habit of not saying anything if I don't feel I'm qualified to ask or say what I'm thinking. So that in mind, I suppose me writing this thread is for my benefit as much as anything, as a point of reference that I can refer back to.

I actually wrote this a long time ago in my diary, and didn't post it, but as it's the start of my journey I put it here and put int in spoiler tags so you don't have to scroll through it all as it got a bit rambly.

At the part of my life that I refer to as wandering, I spent most of my younger years in a single mother environment where money was far from surplus. From the age of around 15, I used to buy and sell items mostly on ebay turning a profit of several hundred a month. Nothing major but at the time to be living at home, with a low-effort income while friends worked in shops etc for less - I was cemented in my thoughts pretty early on that I never want to be a 9 to 5er, trading my life away in exchange for a paycheque. I hated the idea of following the crowd, get up, go to college, do homework, get a weekend job and 'survive'. I'd spend time researching products, methods to get them cheap (in its infancy, I discovered that ebay was ripe for the picking, with people selling on it with mis-spelled ads with no information, with auctions ending at 1am on a week night, or during the day. I started sleeping as soon as I got home and getting up at 2am to bid on items, or sneaking off to the library, sending payments by means of coins taped to a peice of cardboard and posted because paypal wasn't what it is now) Typically at 15 the emphasis was on getting rich, buying gadgets and things for the house to help mum out from time to time. I had a dream that I carried since this part of my life, being able to earn a living without having to 'hustle' on top of doing a 9-5 (college then, but seeing my mum work long hours in a job she hated, I saw that to be 'work' so had no disillusions that it would change), having a toyota supra, and having a dodge viper or a lambo diablo(which became a murcielago) (both rarities here).

But from 17 I got the life plan sales patter from mum, the careers advisor, my peers. The part of my life I always think of as the sales pitch. I actually laughed when I read TMF and the references to the 'lie' as for me it was a true ''I KNEW it!'' type of moment where you've had a thought, but everyone is insisting to the contraire and you begin to let people viewing their goals and ambitions as normal so much that you start to think you're living in a dream world. The sales pitch to me was you MUST go to university if you want to get anywhere. You MUST then start at the bottom earning 30k a year. You MUST expect to work for 10 years before you start to capitalise on this. You MUST build your career off this 'exciting launchpad' and by the time you're 40 you will be able to afford a good house in the city suburbs with a nice audi. And I went along with it to a degree. I knew full time university just wasn't for me, I hated studying. Instead I found a small Project Management firm posting for a trainee quantity surveyor. I applied, and blagged my way through the first interview. I didn't know what the role entailed as such, but I knew I could probably learn. In this interview there were more sales pitches.. In the second interview, they asked what I wanted to do long term, possibly an ambitious career to someone who is 17 with no idea how an industry works. I replied with 'eventually I Want to be on top, overseeing and managing entire projects'.

The woman interviewer retorted 'you can't. it doesnt work like that, it's a different job.' I didn't get the job, but days later the male interviewer called and said he was impressed by my ambition and referred me to a HR consultant in one of the larger contractors in the UK. That same day I got my first full time slowlane job. Reasonable salary for the age, and potential to learn and study at the same time once a week. Did so for 5 years, and found myself making slightly over the average wage at around 23 but the 9-5 wasn't working, it was hard to get up in the mornings and face going in for more of the same crap, living paycheque to paycheque for the promise of advancement maybe not this year but next. I began to sell cars on the side. Buy one, fix it up, sell it, buy another etc etc. It meant that I always had a nicer car than people thought I 'should' have at that age, but also that some extra money was coming in. Mostly spent on indulgences to convince myself that the 9-5 can work for me and it's 'not so bad'. I have always said 'I want to retire by 30' but never knew how and resigned to the fact that the slowlane job might get me there, I just had to get paid more. At this point I decided it wasn't my future and once qualified, an old contact called and said there was a vacancy at a company he worked for, some 15,000 miles away. The CEO called me for an interview and made me an offer which I had a week to accept. around 4 weeks later, I had leased my appartment, sold everything I owned or given it to family and arrived in Australia with around $3500 in my account. Funny that. 5 years of my life, and although I enjoyed much of them, at the end of it I had $3500 and an appartment that someone else was living in to show for it. The catch was, that I wasn't going to get paid for two months, rent was a grand a month and that's without a deposit. The next two months were a struggle. I remember walking around 6 miles to find my first client's office in the rain, because I didn't want to have to spend $100 on a taxi.

The next two months were a struggle. I moved in with a few people who I didn't know under the false pretence of that instant freindship forged by people in a similar situation. I managed to get finance on a relatively decent car and once the pay started rolling in as well as payrises it started to pay off. I used the time to make contacts, and built on a good knowledge of databases and excel and vba and sqs coding which I picked up during college as I thought it would be much more beneficial and fun than learning about coastal erosion.. Turns out it was and clients kept me around for a long time because of the way that I could manage their projects in a lot of detail. I produced a few software based solutions for clients and in turn they often kept me around longer than their actual staff. When I moved on I still produced solutions for them to supplement my paycheque. The problem being, that I was still trading time for money. In the literal sense of actually billing for each hour I did.

I can't resent my slowlane life as it's led to me being 27 and taking home an extremely good salary with some great learning be it life lessons, relationships or general technical knowledge. Realisation? As many here can attest to, it's not fastlane, and it's not what I want out of life. I spend my life looking around at people in the 'this is it' stage of their journey, where they're aged 35-60 and beyond, still working away doing overtime, then bragging about how they ''own'' 3 houses, or a fleet of cars each worth 20k each when the truth is, (which again was another thing that really resonated with me from TMF ), they're a few paycheques away from disaster. Their lifestyle depends on their job, and high paying jobs are getting scarcer by the day here. It also gave me the realisation that these people may have one mortgage almost paid off and several other mortgages etc, but they are in no shape or form looking at retirement. So a few months ago I decided that I would start my own business, totally unrelated as soon as my residency status would allow me. I got the business set up but things were slow coming together, like a blank canvas that I Was too busy with the slowlane job to stare at it long enough to get inspiration, and not committing any resources to the cause. Then by chance I stumbled on TMF after seeing a Tai Lopez video and amongst other things perhaps the most powerful thing it has done for me is validate things that I had been conditioned to believe were crazy fantasies, and to start seeing the whole thing as a process rather than an event. I work a month remotely far away from home and then have a week off.

So basically my slowlane job has hit a point where it gives me a week a month to go full throttle with my fastlane, whilst preparing for it in the month in between. I won't go too far into what the business is in too much detail at this point for a variety of reasons unless necessary but I suppose recording somewhere gives me that nudge to not become complacent.

What have I realised?
Consultancy is nothing but a glorified slowlane pathway if done what seems to be the traditional way. IE it's very much a job with a better exchange rate on the time you trade.

The long term career is exactly that. LOooooong term.

What I want to achieve?

• Get a bit of focus on my business, how I can scale it, how it can grow, how it can get off the ground.
  • Do something everyday whilst away from home that directly benefits my business in some way shape or form. That could mean taking on information, making plans or purchasing something to support it
  • Identify other revenues of income and take opportunities as they come
  • Grow my business and acquire or start other businesses providing a passive income
  • Be free financially - be able to retire by 30. By retire, I mean get to a state of being able to get up when I please, even if it still means stopping by an office or for a meeting, having passive income streams, having financial freedom
  • Purchase my dream car - I know that many will disagree with having it as an achievement - but as a self certified car nut, it's my true passion and a very important thing for me personally

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
So around two months had passed since setting up the company, until finding the millionaire fastlane and writing the above post but not posting it; and a month has passed since then. Ish.

So what's changed?

in the first two months I decided to take the plunge. I switched slowlane jobs to one that was better paid, working away giving me a week off; the reason being is that it will accellerate the funding for my fastlane. This freed up the funds to pay off credit cards and car loan on my bmw in a very short space of time, which in turn freed the funds up to set up my company and trust in the best way for tax purposes and pay all the fees etc. This in turn would mean that I have more money to play with each month to fund the business. It was tough committing to paying for incidentals and not seeing it as dead money and procrastination set in with that nagging voice telling me to focus on the 'day job'.

Then I read the book and spent a lot of sleepless nights browsing some of the incite here. After a week my entire perspective had changed; and I realised that the line between a dreamer and someone with ambitions is Action; Process. I woke up and immediately booked to get licenced to do what I want to do as the core focus of the business. There is a LOT of red tape and it wouldn't be easy, but in the meantime I could still come up with strategies, and acquire stock. So that's what I started to do.

I acquired 3 items of stock that I project will turn a 35% profit each once I'm allowed to start up. In the meantime I also had the realisation that there was a huge potential to diversify what I want to do.

The next month I tried to stick to the plan of doing something each day.

In the last 14 days
  • Set up a new website, to promote all parts of the business, purchased the domain name, set up some templates and got it off the ground.
  • Engaged 3 designers to produce me some logos to set up my identity, which I'm incredibly happy with
  • Enrolled in the second licencing exams that I need for the core business
  • Set up a second website, for a forum related to the products, long term I'll use it as a platform to subtly promote my business
  • Purchased a third domain which is as literal to the sense of what I'm doing as possible. EG TV-SALES.net. There is also a company by the name of "TVSALES" who own TVSALES.com.au, TVSALES.COM, TV-SALES.com but I've been advised if it's a general purchase of the domain to promote a related service then as it's a literal description of the service as opposed to buying it to bait the large company to buy it back. The traffic that it has is amazing considering I've not begun to explore the possibilities of SEO. The domain will link back to my website.
  • Purchased severable desirable items that I managed get for a fire sale price; which will be worth a lot to the right person so will put up for sale on the site with a view of taking a few months to sale at a massive markup.
  • Have been in talks with manufacturers in China, and possibly found an additional niche that I could provide at an attractive price point (hundreds less than competitors including immitation examples)
  • Had the idea that I can further offer them at a good rate with my Company Logo on, building on the brand, avoiding copywrite as I'm going for a customised design, and offer them at a cheaper price if the quality is good enough to get the name built up
  • Ordered a customised sample - I had received an item from the factory before that was basic, unbranded etc.
  • Pre-sold 10 of the product with an end of september delivery date, which I was looking to avoid in case it fell through but after the initial product page went up it snowballed. My first sales made to the value of around $16000 off an outlay pending of $7000
  • enrolled in a course here for setting up a website which I could already do and advertising it which is all new to me.
  • Read a few bios of two entrepenuers in the industry who has done something not too far removed from where I'd ultimately want to be with each line of my business which really fuelled my drive
  • Looked into outsourcing warehousing options to allow the website to operate whwen I'm away and not allow for such a slow turnaround - I've found people are willing to wait a few weeks for the product if the quality and price are right, I'd like to take that one further and surpass their expectations.
  • research into web-based merchant solutions
  • Ordered several sample products that I could offer as accessories
And as a bonus, the little profit from my initial sales have gone to a bit towards a dream event - As of yesterday, I've signed a contract to trade in my car and buy my dream machine in cash. Although it hasn't been completely due to the fastlane process, the changed perspective and thought process certainly lead to it. Things are starting to take traction, and I think the real key is going to be being able to optimise the time where I'm not around town.

Last edited:

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Bit of a rollercoaster few days.. I've unfortunately broken up with my fiance which sucks. But she was making me unhappy; which resulted in me making her unhappy; avoiding lengthy phone calls, looking forward to having me time, biting my tongue.. It was a vicious cycle and ultimately I came to the conclusion that I couldn't allow it to continue despite loving her from the second I met her. She won't accept that she can change anything to at least make the arguements mutual discussions; and I can either keep quiet, argue back, or walk away.. It put me firmly on my a$$ for a day or two, so I had a steep hill to climb to pick myself up and see it as a positive. After both parents suffering with cancer over the past year, I thought this would be the final thing that keeps me bed in the mornings. It didn't take too long for me to stop seeing it as the end of my future and start seeing the begining of an alternate future.

Financially, my plans were no longer tied in trying to get a huge mortgage on a huge house to make her dreams come true. There was one less Mercedes to buy. My bills are halved. I can focus on my fastlane route without having to consider bathroom breaks for the passenger. It's an opportunity to go back to LA in a couple of months and to the UK next month for some down time. Reaching my goals before a relationship becomes a factor again is back in the forefront of my mind.

I received photographs of my first product which is weaning its way to me as I type which is exciting. The quality should stack up to expectations from first impressions, so I will follow up with a larger order if all checks out well.

I've also been exploring opportunities for additional products.

I also considered taking the plunge to lease a factory/warehouse/unit. This would provide a) storage for the business equipment, stock, vehicles; space is at a premium for me at the moment b) potential to move out of a rental altogether and simply enjoy living in hotels for a short period. c) avoid the losses to margin by outsourcing factory space. d)

It comes with complications; I'm away from home on other business for 75% of the month. This could mean that it's either necessary to hire a casual worker to manage stock in the prior 3 weeks. Which is fine but I don't have anyone trustworthy for that position just yet. It also means a large additional cost to consider.

I'm thinking of undertaking the lease and working out the details from there; as of next week I will have enough in the business acounts to cover the lease for the first year.

A strange opportunity has arisen in the form of a colleague who has a partner in the same business. The opportunity only arose as I'd been talking to her about the separation when the topic came up.. This could present a reliable, cheap, and mutually beneficial opportunity to staff my unit in exchange for allowing them to use a portion of my space for their independant (but could be linked) purposes.

The only real thing holding me back I suppose is over-caution; but without the unit the chance of the operation taking off is stunted..

Chips all in, time to commit.

Soulfulwater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 8, 2014
Wow amazing progress mate. Subscribed.

You said you got $16000 in pre-sales. Could you share the process you took to get those sales?

Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Wow amazing progress mate. Subscribed.

You said you got $16000 in pre-sales. Could you share the process you took to get those sales?

Cheers!

Sure, wasn't as tricky or as big a deal as it sounds - I basically played the perception of value. I marketted my product on forums, and at an event. On the forums I was known for long enough to have a good rep when people asked even though I'd never sold anything there, and at the event I simply used the concept of opportunity and a limited time to call to action. "Buy now and receive a better rate, 20% off next time, and free delivery in certain areas".

I advertised at an introductory price for getting a bulk supply, the only catch being the longer lead time. This works for me because I won't physically be anle to send the stock before I'm next home, even if it had arrived, and at the knock down price, people had no qualms waiting, with frequent updates to keep the faith.

I gave the assurance that any dissatisfaction would be dealt with swiftly and have ordered a few backup units just in case so that there are spares.. It's a risk, delivery delays, possible qa problems etc but a calculated one.

Soulfulwater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 8, 2014
Sure, wasn't as tricky or as big a deal as it sounds - I basically played the perception of value. I marketted my product on forums, and at an event. On the forums I was known for long enough to have a good rep when people asked even though I'd never sold anything there, and at the event I simply used the concept of opportunity and a limited time to call to action. "Buy now and receive a better rate, 20% off next time, and free delivery in certain areas".

I advertised at an introductory price for getting a bulk supply, the only catch being the longer lead time. This works for me because I won't physically be anle to send the stock before I'm next home, even if it had arrived, and at the knock down price, people had no qualms waiting, with frequent updates to keep the faith.

I gave the assurance that any dissatisfaction would be dealt with swiftly and have ordered a few backup units just in case so that there are spares.. It's a risk, delivery delays, possible qa problems etc but a calculated one.

Love it.

How long until you expect to be able to commit 100% to the fastlane business?

You seem to have made massive strides with just 25%... you must be itching to quit the day job now!

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Love it.

How long until you expect to be able to commit 100% to the fastlane business?

You seem to have made massive strides with just 25%... you must be itching to quit the day job now!

Yeah very much so - I'm painfully aware that for this business to start some exponential growth that I will have to complete the transition, but I'm also aware that doing so too soon, will just mean that the luxury of hitting the ground running is removed. I know many will comment that it is better to do now and wait but there is a process..

I've been working towards the current position which I've just reached, with no real outgoings other than rent so have a three potential exit points in mind. No car loan, credit cards available but paid off (giving me a credit line for the business), the only other bills personally are small; satellite tv, internet, fuel, food, prepaid phone. All things I can effectively turn off if need be.

3 months: overheads for the business (read: premises, security, rates), rent for the home will be covered for 12 months. if the need arose, I would be comfortable transitioning at this point. I would have just got the last licence I need to operate in the main area I want to, would have the sidelines up and running. This also frees crucial time to develop a few other ideas which I don't have the luxury of at the moment. Hindrances: Capital would be limited, meaning a need to dip into those reserves.

6 months: as above with funds for the business available. I could operate at a fuller capacity.

12 months: as above, full capacity, ability to take larger risks, larger orders, faster growth. Slowlane position will also expire at this time conveniently.

I did a best and worst case forecast however for 18 months time, and even with loosing 12 months by delaying the full transition, the figures show I'd be significantly better off.

So at the moment my ultimate line in the sand is 31st October 2016 which feels a long time away so I'm just trying to maintain discipline and a process leading to that point. The additional funds in this time may also mean the possibility of staffing up, meaning that when I transition I could find myself completely available to explore other avenues.

Today has revealed some massive frustrations, namely the inability to achieve anything quickly here.. Insurance? No such thing as an online quote. Any advertisements of which seem to be a ploy to get you on a call list. Lease? Cash waiting? You'll wait anyway. Even purchasing one of my dream cars the other day, I decided to waste no time and go and withdraw a large amount of cash to take it on the spot. It was still the next afternoon before I could drive it away.

The calls are very slow in coming through. Freight accounts? See above. I appreciate I'm very much a 'action now' type of person, but it is proving very frustrating playing the waiting game.

But all part of the bigger picture.

There is a company that I have been very interested in buying, where with my slowlane career experience, I could add some huge value. I've also learned that the opportunity to purchase it may come around 18 months. I may be 9 years into this career but I'm still learning some great skills and meeting some good contacts, so ultimately spending the next 12 months rounding off my career will feed into my ambitions for a year and a half's time.

Last edited:

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Daily tasks over the last 7 days :)

Enquire into several premises'. One as a storage facility owned by my retirement fund, one as a facility to operate from, leased. Offer forms received, final analysis started - I want to make sure that if I am going to commit $20k PA, I am at least going to action to see a minimum of 15 x this amount in net profit.

Detailed thought of how I will utilise the space compared to outsourcing. Chances are, if I outsource it will limit potential and still leave a void of space requirement

Investiaged further stock lines

Booked the final paperwork I need to start business in one of the lines I want to explore

explored a few additional streams of passive income

a day exploring shipping accounts, completing a business paypal account (good god, the paperwork compared to when I used to trade in my spare time during school days is ridiculous due to the anti-terrorist funding and anti-money laundering regulations, a sign of the times), insurance quotes ($20M public licability insurance required; frustrating due to the fact that it will be a while until it's an issue but required by the landlords

Explore employment paperwork - a possible solution to the 25% commitment for the next year or so, but could prove little benefit until demand requires it.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
hopefully a pretty good one coming up, just waiting for things to pan out over the next week :)

So been busy again, trickling along and laying some more foundations..

Have decided that rather than have a fulfillment / outsourced warehousing solution eroding my margins; I have completed a 2 year deal on a factory. This opens up a wealth of options, mainly to have sufficient stock which I plan to ship on a rotating cycle to start with. This also allows the option of face to face transactions for largerer or custom items and a further in-house product that I'm exploring. I've also had nothing but positive feedback on the items sent iut, so am restocking for the next run.

I had a little forced downtime from getting things ready (maxed out what I can do from here just yet!) Which has been useful. I'll need to step up my marketing / advertising game once the product is ready for more sales; which I can't go too far into yet having a limited product line. So I've set up a few social media accounts to try ramp up a bit of communication and interest which hopefully I can introduce the lines in when things ramp up.

I move in in about a month's time which should allow things to really ramp up. I was reluctant to commit, but without the space I'm limiting myself drastically and treading the line of non-commital. Looking from an absolute worst case scenario point of view and weighted average, I can either utilise the space to expand into other processes, or even utilise some of the space as storage while I build my next home. The price I got it for makes it a relatively low-risk maneuver and the pros far outweigh the cons.

I've also started as of today a dropshipping website, and two affilliate selling/referral sites (both of which have already generated a tiny income), in completely different markets. I don't expect these to bring in the millions, but I do expect them to at least pay for themselves shortly (not that the costs have been huge) to get going. The general purpose of this is that even if they fail miserably, I can experiment with what works and what doesn't work. I chose to explore completely different markets so that I can learn how to identify opportunities on the marketing side that I might not already be familiar with. I have a lot of spare time in the evenings at the moment; so it's a productive way to start a small scale and relatively passive income (read: a half hour a day for each for now). Being a consultant historically I've been as far removed from passive as possible so itl be a nice change

Last edited:

Soulfulwater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 8, 2014
So been busy again, trickling along and laying some more foundations..

Have decided that rather than have a fulfillment / outsourced warehousing solution eroding my margins; I have completed a 2 year deal on a factory. This opens up a wealth of options, mainly to have sufficient stock which I plan to ship on a rotating cycle to start with. This also allows the option of face to face transactions for largerer or custom items and a further in-house product that I'm exploring. I've also had nothing but positive feedback on the items sent iut, so am restocking for the next run.

I had a little forced downtime from getting things ready (maxed out what I can do from here just yet!) Which has been useful. I'll need to step up my marketing / advertising game once the product is ready for more sales; which I can't go too far into yet having a limited product line. So I've set up a few social media accounts to try ramp up a bit of communication and interest which hopefully I can introduce the lines in when things ramp up.

I move in in about a month's time which should allow things to really ramp up. I was reluctant to commit, but without the space I'm limiting myself drastically and treading the line of non-commital. Looking from an absolute worst case scenario point of view and weighted average, I can either utilise the space to expand into other processes, or even utilise some of the space as storage while I build my next home. The price I got it for makes it a relatively low-risk maneuver and the pros far outweigh the cons.

I've also started as of today a dropshipping website, and two affilliate selling/referral sites (both of which have already generated a tiny income), in completely different markets. I don't expect these to bring in the millions, but I do expect them to at least pay for themselves shortly (not that the costs have been huge) to get going. The general purpose of this is that even if they fail miserably, I can experiment with what works and what doesn't work. I chose to explore completely different markets so that I can learn how to identify opportunities on the marketing side that I might not already be familiar with. I have a lot of spare time in the evenings at the moment; so it's a productive way to start a small scale and relatively passive income (read: a half hour a day for each for now). Being a consultant historically I've been as far removed from passive as possible so itl be a nice change
Is it time for an update? Are you moved in? Are the passive income streams showing any promise yet? [emoji1]

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Is it time for an update? Are you moved in? Are the passive income streams showing any promise yet? [emoji1]

It is indeedy Sorry, been waiting to sort a few things out!

So the plan is still coming together. I've successfully moved in to and insured my warehouse, the problem being until I leave this day job, I usually am of the mindset of don't focus on painting the barn, just get it up and sheltering you from the rain, but the situation still means it's better than doing nothing.Which leads me on to your second question

After sitting through some videos at the limitlessacadamy (found on these here forums!) I decided that broadening my grasp on marketing and market research would be a good idea and the courses gave me a great platform to start from. So while I'm away with nothing to occupy me , I figured I'd do all I can to see what works, what doesn't work and then when I go live with my original business plan, I have a greater arsenal.

The result is I've become somewhat addicted to building websites from the ground up, learning their processes and watching them come to life over the last couple of months. I decided that getting my head around marketing would help in the long run and I've ended up going from knowing absolutely nothing about websites, to having a portfolio of about 20 domains and 6 active sites and having a decent grasp of Wordpress, Cpanel, adwords etc as well as a portfolio of a couple of apps on the play store. But the cool thing is they're all intermingled across two niches. Loosely enough to be different but closely enough to all feed one another with content and most importantly traffic.

One related to my fastlane and the other not. On the business side, they form one blog website to purely serve the purpose of drawing in traffic and giving people info. Linked to it is a service website that can now (and is) operating independently. Both of these in future will be utilised to drive traffic to/promote my fastlane business.

Dropshipping we all know lacks control, consistency, mainly in the form of keeping to delivery dates and quality. It's hard to satisfy customers when they don't know how long they'll wait effectively. So my way of countering this was to focus on branding a site in niche number two. I also split the shop in two as some products linked closely to niche number 1. I linked these to a social media account, which in turn attracted the attention of a couple of pseudo celebs who in turn endorsed the items. Then on the back of that I had the idea of an e-content sale site and another blog which again promoted the original sales site and vise versa which has seen traffic and sales rise. I don't see longevity in dropshipping, so a few of the best sellers I have approached the supplier and purchased in bulk to ship locally, some of which have been sold cheap locally to people who've needed them in my local area but don't like webshopping / couldn't afford it etc and it's been great to be able to turn around and supply items that people are enjoying and give a little to the community

So the passive income streams have had a little success and are trickling in some good funds around 75% of which I'd say was totally hands passive with the other 25 amounting to (or consuming about 20 mins/day now that the hard work has been done - literally log in, check emails, chuck a couple of social media posts on, log out). I've got a combined 1400 mostly active followers in about a month so quite happy with that. It's been a great exercise but again There's only so much that can be achieved so am back to a lot of spare 'down' time again, so will either leave them ticking away as they are, or try to grow them with more marketting etc.

The passive income isn't huge and will grow with time, but it has gone a way to validating my vision of my overall plan and has taught me a LOT in a couple of short months! I've also chosen September 15th as the 100% date where I say goodbye to my day job. In many ways that's a way off but with how much has happened in the last 3 months, I have no concerns that it will fly by.

Last edited:

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Starting to see results:

I have no idea where the last two months went but they've been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. Between doubt I could make this work, pressure from the partner to get a big mortgage, house moves, the dayjob etc the list goes on.. Days have become 12 hours at work to boost the ''retirement fund'' an hour at the gym, two hours ''working for myself'' and grabbing food and sleep in the few hours that remain.

I've now entered the 6 month countdown and things are getting real!

Refocus

I mentioned that I was loving the creative process, but I found I was slipping into a bit of serial-ism in creating websites left right and centre then having them sat idle so have had a clear out and refocus on my goals. It had the intended outcome in that I have a fair degree of ability with designing websites now. Have decided that I will limit ALL of my activities to three banners here on in.

1) launch my 'main focus' business. This encompasses my main business that I Want to dedicate my time to in August, plus a blog and accessory sale site (more on that below)
2) Establish a passive income stream of two websites (for the purposees of this, anything that takes not more than 5 minutes of time per day) This encompasses an e-content site, and a lead generation site
3) Establish Semi-passive income streams (anything that requires 25 mins a day to maintain) This consists of a web-based service site and a site that I have wanted to develop for years but lacked the web-skills and confidence for. This will require more full on dedication to get going in the future, but some legwork has to be done. Also the e-commerce store that I mentioned a few months back

Last two month summary
On another work trip so decided to kick some goals in the spare time since the last post:-

1) Fully submitted all paperwork for my main business, and hopefully will be certified to be able to operate within 10 days, the final barrier to entry.
2) Landed some great stock for the business so I can begin doing something to generate income on day 1.
3) Established a blog and Setup social media accounts. 1) for the business itself, 2) for a blog in the same niche (with it's own associated social media account) along with a forum.
The blog is now hitting 1,000 hits a month since Dec 1, with approximately 700 followers on facebook, 1,500 on instagram and everything is growing steadily. This has been a mix of sponsored FB posts, and instagram posting/following/liking strategies. Reasonably happy with the two month's growth!
4) Sold 3 of the sites that I had created on Flippa for $552, $560 and $595 each, wrote off 3 others.
5) Worked on two e-commerce sites that I created earlier last year which will form part 3, the semi-passive stream. Why? Simply because while I am travelling for work, I want to divert my spare time into something productive and profitable.
Site 1: FB account established, 600 likes, IG 1,000 followers, sales: $800 Website hits 700 / month
Site 2: FB account established in Jan, 60 likes, sales: $410, Pending order of $3,100 Website hits 150

6) Setup two sites that I want to be totally passive:
Site 1: site selling a selection of software tools which I have obtained the rights for. FB account established 13 December, 150 likes, website 600 hits / month
Site 2:
Niche lead generation site, IG 150 followers, but in very limited effort with this one so far (<1 hour) Sales: $37
7) Severed ties with supplier for 'main focus' business due to trust issues / commication problems and decided to niche down and not move this business into importing just yet
8) Set up a Web-based service website. Needs promotion however its social media accounts on FB and linkedin are proving popular so need to work on signups which I think is low due to simply not having many current signups.
9) Set up a website and started writing the software to a project which I have seen a need for for years but never got off the ground. It solves a problem with my current job so this is a long-term plan to create the product over time and run it along side consulting in a year's time by which point my 'main focus' I hope to be self sufficient.
10) delivered all stock pre-sold from venture into importing, 4 items refunded due to issues that would hav ebeen resolvable if I was home giving me circa $5,000 profit.

Summary
Total non day job income since around 1 Dec: circa $2750 + $5,000 for presold items, + $3,100 if order pans out.

Next month's goals
  • Spend 30 mins / day FB marketting (Ecommerce site, Accessory sales site, blog, passive media site)
  • Spend 30 mins / day on IG content (blog, e-commerce store, lead gen website)
  • Spend 30 mins / day on the blog as this will feed into my main focus
  • get 7 hours sleep minimum / day
  • Order fulfillment 30 mins if required
  • Making a diary to ensure the above happens!
The only thing to add is that the slowlane job is becoming extremely tiresome. The same conversations with people who think they're loaded because they've just got a second house mortgage. Complaining about the work. stabbing each other in the back to promote their own self-worth. Tiresome daily routine and lack of job satisfaction beyond the paycheque. I'm very focused on changing my stars instead of looking up at them in hope and it's making sitting here all day to do so that much harder!

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Biggest hurdle acheived and I'm officially licenced for my product. A few more technicalities to iron out and I'll essentially be in the place that I want to be in; able to leave my job and be self sufficient. A few more months and I can do it relatively stress free in the short term. Currently working on an import deal that would net around $20k profit if it goes through.

I have never been so energised and excited, and the 'fear' is melting away the more I put my execution plan in to place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.