The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Total dog wellness

Idea threads

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I've been building up a dog training side hustle that has been going fairly well, especially for being in a town of ~8,000 people.

One of my dogs was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October last year and ever since then I've been researching like crazy. I've come up with a feeding regimen that seems to be helping him a lot. I've put our other two dogs on the program too, and overall I've seen huge improvements - no more yeast infections, no more paw biting and licking, shedding is almost non-existent, foods they were sensitive to they no longer are, and they are much more chill even though they have energy through the roof. I've also made a few minor lifestyle adjustments that are likely helping to a smaller degree.

As I've been doing training with others and my own (two of my rescues were dog-reactive and had bite histories), and as I've been researching diet and nutrition etc. and as I see daily posts in aggressive dog support groups about people at their breaking point because they've spent thousands on training that isn't working, I'm wondering how big of a role nutrition (and other environmental factors) plays in training. It almost feels like traditional training is only addressing a symptom, not the real source of the problems.

So, I've been starting to synthesize my knowledge into an overall dog health program that aims to solve both behavioral and physical health issues.

Does "total dog wellness - solve behavioral and/or physical health issues with diet and environmental changes" (or something similar) sound too broad? Should I try to spin it towards one side, such as "solve behavioral issues with diet and environmental changes" instead of as a program that would help either problematic case (behavior or health issues)? To be clear, it would be one program for either case, same solution to both problems.

Any suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
It almost feels like traditional training is only addressing a symptom, not the real source of the problems.
What's interesting about this statement is that we can substitute "traditional training" with the words "pharmaceutical industry" and we get to yet another true statement about the world.

Back on topic:

I like this idea, and there is definitely a market for this, but I would implement this exclusively as a digital product with the option to receive 1-on-1 coaching sessions online, to assess the dog's health progress, offer personalized advice, etc.

By doing this, you will expand your potential customer base from a few hundred (in your small town) to millions of people.

Scale and Time are exceptionally important. Neglecting these usually results in the creation of a JOB, instead of a thriving business.

"total dog wellness - solve behavioral and/or physical health issues with diet and environmental changes"
I really like this holistic approach and I don't think it's too broad.

The problem is that the wording is too complex. This is a very common pitfall for those who are smart and/or have an academic background.

Marketing is the story you tell to your customers about your business.

It needs to be very simple to understand and it needs to evoke a gut feeling of "this is what I want and need" whenever a customer reads it.

I would start from the idea of "a healthy dog is a happy dog" and grow up from here.

Never use complex or domain-specific jargon words. You can and should do that on some of the website's copy to build credibility and show expertise, but the marketing punchline needs to use the vocabulary of a 5th grader (or lower).

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
I've been building up a dog training side hustle that has been going fairly well, especially for being in a town of ~8,000 people.

One of my dogs was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October last year and ever since then I've been researching like crazy. I've come up with a feeding regimen that seems to be helping him a lot. I've put our other two dogs on the program too, and overall I've seen huge improvements - no more yeast infections, no more paw biting and licking, shedding is almost non-existent, foods they were sensitive to they no longer are, and they are much more chill even though they have energy through the roof. I've also made a few minor lifestyle adjustments that are likely helping to a smaller degree.

As I've been doing training with others and my own (two of my rescues were dog-reactive and had bite histories), and as I've been researching diet and nutrition etc. and as I see daily posts in aggressive dog support groups about people at their breaking point because they've spent thousands on training that isn't working, I'm wondering how big of a role nutrition (and other environmental factors) plays in training. It almost feels like traditional training is only addressing a symptom, not the real source of the problems.

So, I've been starting to synthesize my knowledge into an overall dog health program that aims to solve both behavioral and physical health issues.

Does "total dog wellness - solve behavioral and/or physical health issues with diet and environmental changes" (or something similar) sound too broad? Should I try to spin it towards one side, such as "solve behavioral issues with diet and environmental changes" instead of as a program that would help either problematic case (behavior or health issues)? To be clear, it would be one program for either case, same solution to both problems.

Any suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated!
Talking about dog

I recently work in a pet shop, I comes from Muslim mayority country, and have my first time seeing dog in a close

I notice there is this "damn" smell coming from them. And the doctor here said the day mostly grooming once a month

I wonder for the dog owner don't you feel (I'm sorry) bothered by your pet smell?

And if you had, what had you done to mild it

Sorry if my question bother paw parents, I'm curious and just asking dumb questions

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Talking about dog

I recently work in a pet shop, I comes from Muslim mayority country, and have my first time seeing dog in a close

I notice there is this "damn" smell coming from them. And the doctor here said the day mostly grooming once a month

I wonder for the dog owner don't you feel (I'm sorry) bothered by your pet smell?

Sorry if my question bother paw parents, I'm curious and just asking dumb questions
I also own a dog. It's true that dogs have their own smell (some are more "smelly" some are less) but overall I wouldn't describe it at unpleasant. When it rains (and the dog is wet) he smells a little bit more but nothing that would bother me.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
What's interesting about this statement is that we can substitute "traditional training" with the words "pharmaceutical industry" and we get to yet another true statement about the world.

Back on topic:

I like this idea, and there is definitely a market for this, but I would implement this exclusively as a digital product with the option to receive 1-on-1 coaching sessions online, to assess the dog's health progress, offer personalized advice, etc.

By doing this, you will expand your potential customer base from a few hundred (in your small town) to millions of people.

Scale and Time are exceptionally important. Neglecting these usually results in the creation of a JOB, instead of a thriving business.

I really like this holistic approach and I don't think it's too broad.

The problem is that the wording is too complex. This is a very common pitfall for those who are smart and/or have an academic background.

Marketing is the story you tell to your customers about your business.

It needs to be very simple to understand and it needs to evoke a gut feeling of "this is what I want and need" whenever a customer reads it.

I would start from the idea of "a healthy dog is a happy dog" and grow up from here.

Never use complex or domain-specific jargon words. You can and should do that on some of the website's copy to build credibility and show expertise, but the marketing punchline needs to use the vocabulary of a 5th grader (or lower).
Thank you so much, heavy! I always appreciate the level of thought and time you put into your replies - really makes this community shine!

Okay, cool, I get what you're saying. I was worried that by being too vague people wouldn't be interested, but at the same time I felt I was being too longwinded.

This definitely would be beyond the scope of my small town. I actually put together a waitlist on my website with a couple of surveys, but I haven't tried promoting it yet because I'm not sure about the wording.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I also own a dog. It's true that dogs have their own smell (some are more "smelly" some are less) but overall I wouldn't describe it at unpleasant. When it rains (and the dog is wet) he smells a little bit more but nothing that would bother me.
Yes, dogs definitely have their own smell and in my experience, most of the time it's noticeable but not off-putting. Our one dog had a very unpleasant smell and his fur was just gross - I felt bad because I didn't even want to touch him. We would give him baths every week, but two days later he'd be just as gross as before. That problem is totally gone now.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Talking about dog

My one dog had a horrible smell and even when we gave him a bath once a week he would still smell just as bad two days later. This is not a lack of grooming, this is bad gut health, bad overall health. The stink is a symptom of an underlying issue.

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
My one dog had a horrible smell and even when we gave him a bath once a week he would still smell just as bad two days later. This is not a lack of grooming, this is bad gut health, bad overall health. The stink is a symptom of an underlying issue.
wow, it must feel bad to have your pet getting close to you but you notice their bad smell. it is not like you could tell them to clean themself like your human friend.

do you feel so concern about your dog smell that you will feel need to go to the vet?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
wow, it must feel bad to have your pet getting close to you but you notice their bad smell. it is not like you could tell them to clean themself like your human friend.

do you feel so concern about your dog smell that you will feel need to go to the vet?
I did my own research and felt pretty certain it was a yeast infection. From there I solved the problem naturally with no harsh chemicals or medications. For things more severe, like seizures or something, I get to the vet as fast as I can.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I love my dog's smell. I've had over 50 dogs, mostly german shepherds. So far they've all smelled the same to me. They smell different when they are puppies than when they are older.

I think this smell comes from the breed and also their diet. This isn't a smell because they are dirty or haven't had a bath.

My current dog, a Belgian Malinois has a slightly different smell. But still a pleasant smell to me.

Now, when they get wet, that's a whole different story!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I love my dog's smell. I've had over 50 dogs, mostly german shepherds. So far they've all smelled the same to me. They smell different when they are puppies than when they are older.

My current dog, a Belgian Malinois has a slightly different smell. But still a pleasant smell to me.

I also admit that I love how my dogs smell now! We have a Rottie, German Shepherd, and Pitbull/American Bulldog :) I don't have kids yet, but I imagine loving their smell is similar to how a parent loves their baby's/kid's smell.

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
I did my own research and felt pretty certain it was a yeast infection. From there I solved the problem naturally with no harsh chemicals or medications. For things more severe, like seizures or something, I get to the vet as fast as I can
Is there a term of "organic" / "natural" for pet products also? Like in human food

What I found on my petshop I work for, they put label like "original" , "less chemical"

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023

I think this smell comes from the breed and also their diet. This isn't a smell because they are dirty or haven't had a bath.

Do you ever change your dogs' food and then notice their smell different?

Tbh, dogs look so cute on videos, but since I work here (which only for 2 days), the smell really troublesome. When I did tutoring for a non Muslim students too, they have like 3 dogs and the room smell bad. Hence i'm wondering if the owner or people around them feel it's troublesome too.

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
I also admit that I love how my dogs smell now! We have a Rottie, German Shepherd, and Pitbull/American Bulldog :) I don't have kids yet, but I imagine loving their smell is similar to how a parent loves their baby's/kid's smell.
Babies smell good after they take a bath, but idk how's the smell of a dog after grooming looks like. But I see the paw parents kissing the dog after grooming, so I guess it smells good (?)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I notice there is this "damn" smell coming from them.
don't you feel (I'm sorry) bothered by your pet smell?
it must feel bad to have your pet getting close to you but you notice their bad smell.
Do you ever change your dogs' food and then notice their smell different?
the smell really troublesome.
they have like 3 dogs and the room smell bad
Babies smell good after they take a bath
But I see the paw parents kissing the dog after grooming, so I guess it smells good (?)

Sir, we understand your concerns, but this is a thread about starting a business.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

First of all, well done for building a succesful doggy business, you are doing great work!

As far as naming your services you have the answer right here!
I see daily posts in aggressive dog support groups about people at their breaking point because they've spent thousands on training that isn't working, I

Start copy pasting their words into Google search and also the keyword tool. These people ae desperate, they love their dogs but need them to behave!

I wouldn't use the word 'Wellness' for a couple of reasons. Mainly because it sounds too soft, it doesn't directly dress the issues at hand.

So yeah, find out how people are expressing their desperation and name it that. Then once you have grabbed them with the headline and strapline, then you can go into your methods.

This is awesome, I love dogs, please keep us updated.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I don't have kids yet, but I imagine loving their smell is similar to how a parent loves their baby's/kid's smell.

It is! The same chemical release happens, just more powerful with kids. :)

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

+1; however, I'd be cautious about offering personalised stuff.
  • it inherently becomes more challenging to scale
  • Most people don't even take or apply the advice poorly, then blame you. I believe PT gets a lot of grief from this because they expect results from the PT when they don't even put in the effort.
Make sure you have scalability in mind. Most people want the results, not the effort. How can you give them the results ASAP?

On that train of thought, the other thing that came to mind was: can you put the food into a box/bag/can and sell it?

Perhaps it could be a Hello Fresh (without the cooking) for dogs and pets. It would take more time to make, yes, but you provide a lot of value to a customer because they don't need to prepare the food and the benefit to you is that you keep your recipes secret.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
First of all, well done for building a succesful doggy business, you are doing great work!

As far as naming your services you have the answer right here!

Start copy pasting their words into Google search and also the keyword tool. These people ae desperate, they love their dogs but need them to behave!

I wouldn't use the word 'Wellness' for a couple of reasons. Mainly because it sounds too soft, it doesn't directly dress the issues at hand.

So yeah, find out how people are expressing their desperation and name it that. Then once you have grabbed them with the headline and strapline, then you can go into your methods.

This is awesome, I love dogs, please keep us updated.
Thank you, and thank you for the feedback and advice! That makes a lot of sense and helps me a lot with wording.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
+1; however, I'd be cautious about offering personalised stuff.
  • it inherently becomes more challenging to scale
  • Most people don't even take or apply the advice poorly, then blame you. I believe PT gets a lot of grief from this because they expect results from the PT when they don't even put in the effort.
Make sure you have scalability in mind. Most people want the results, not the effort. How can you give them the results ASAP?

On that train of thought, the other thing that came to mind was: can you put the food into a box/bag/can and sell it?

Perhaps it could be a Hello Fresh (without the cooking) for dogs and pets. It would take more time to make, yes, but you provide a lot of value to a customer because they don't need to prepare the food and the benefit to you is that you keep your recipes secret.
Great feedback, thank you!

I know what I currently have isn't perfect or in its full form yet. Basically I'm taking what I've done for my own dogs, so going from level 8-9 difficulty, and brining people down to about a level 3 or 4. For now, just to get the ball rolling. I'll have iterations to figure out how to make it even easier for people. Also, I think this will follow the rule of large numbers - at first everyone will be different, but as I get more and more data patterns will probably emerge and I'll be able to produce more generalized options. So for now, things need to be fairly personalized, but later it may not be the case.

Yes! Producing a meal plan that's already packaged and delivered with all the supplements etc. is on my mind, but I have a lot of steps to take before getting there. I don't have the capital or time for everything that goes into starting from zero, but once I get more validation and people wanting this system then I think it will make a lot more sense to jump into that to get people from level 3-4 difficulty down to 0-1. Also, right now legally/technically I can't give exact nutritional advice, so I'm not giving out recipes. I'm giving general advice on what to feed, when, and how. I'm interested to see how this goes and what people's feedback is - I know a lot of people are enticed by ready-made services, but who knows, maybe people will like the flexibility and connection they get from feeding their dogs what they are preparing for themselves in some cases (e.g., the other day I made quinoa-lentil stuffed bell peppers that were onion-free and was able to literally take one off the cooking tray onto my plate and another directly into my dog's bowl; it seems like a simple experience, but it hit me in the feels a lot more than one might have thought (but also maybe I'm just an especially sensitive/emotional person)).

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
the other day I made quinoa-lentil stuffed bell peppers that were onion-free and was able to literally take one off the cooking tray onto my plate and another directly into my dog's bowl

If I did that my dog would give me a look that conveyed the message, "Where's the damn meat?" :D

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Producing a meal plan that's already packaged and delivered with all the supplements etc. is on my mind, but I have a lot of steps to take before getting there.
That's a good thing that'll take a while - all the more reason people will avoid copying you.
I don't have the capital or time for everything that goes into starting from zero, but once I get more validation and people wanting this system then I think it will make a lot more sense to jump into that to get people from level 3-4 difficulty down to 0-1.
I'm sure you could do a home thing, beginning with pots and pans at home, then scaling as it gets bigger and bigger. As your customers pay you, the profits can be used for reinvestment & further validation of the product.
Also, right now legally/technically I can't give exact nutritional advice, so I'm not giving out recipes. I'm giving general advice on what to feed, when, and how. I'm interested to see how this goes and what people's feedback is
People won't care who you are as long as they get the desired result. It's one of the great joys of entrepreneurship.

I'm unclear on how you cannot give legal advice for feeding a dog. Regardless, get whatever certification for the product is needed once you've got lots of paying customers. Don't let this reason stop you from trying out this idea.
I know a lot of people are enticed by ready-made services, but who knows, maybe people will like the flexibility and connection they get from feeding their dogs what they are preparing for themselves in some cases (e.g., the other day I made quinoa-lentil stuffed bell peppers that were onion-free and was able to literally take one off the cooking tray onto my plate and another directly into my dog's bowl; it seems like a simple experience, but it hit me in the feels a lot more than one might have thought (but also maybe I'm just an especially sensitive/emotional person)).
In that case, offer both the diet plan for those who want to have a more personal experience and the canned/boxed food for those who can't be bothered - I'm sure there is a niche for both, so it's worth trying each out and seeing which is most worthwhile.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I'm unclear on how you cannot give legal advice for feeding a dog. Regardless, get whatever certification for the product is needed once you've got lots of paying customers. Don't let this reason stop you from trying out this idea.
To create and market a dog "food" (supplements possibly, need to look more into it) you have to follow certain guidelines and meet certain specifications. To give meal plans and full on nutritional advice for dogs you need to have certain licenses and certifications in some areas. Kind of like giving legal advice or medical advice, but not quite so sensitive/extreme.

In that case, offer both the diet plan for those who want to have a more personal experience and the canned/boxed food for those who can't be bothered - I'm sure there is a niche for both, so it's worth trying each out and seeing which is most worthwhile.
Yep - I'm imagining a tier or different package choices.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.