The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 6 Negative Emotions Entrepreneurs Struggle With...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mindsetmary

High Performance Mindset Coach
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
Hello Fastlaners! (=

I am working with a digital marketing company to launch my first funnel and have been asked to provide them with the top three problems that entrepreneurs face in terms of negative emotions that they experience.

Based on my own experience in both coaching entrepreneurs and conducting in-depth podcast interviews with them for my YouTube Channel, the following six themes came up repeatedly (with the top 3 being the most cited):

1. Overwhelm and Stress (Poor Boundaries)
2. Self-Doubt and Inadequacy (Lack of Self-Worth / Imposter Syndrome)
3. Fear of Failure and Uncertainty
4. Burnout and Exhaustion
5. Identity Crisis and Lack of Direction/Purpose
6. Loneliness and Isolation

I used CHATGPT to compile and analyze all my published interviews/coaching sessions (using the video scripts) to come up with this list, would absolutely appreciate people's two cents on if these resonate or if there are any additional negative thoughts/emotions that should be added to the list.

I hope this thread sparks some valuable engagement that everyone can benefit from! :blush:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
Hello Fastlaners! (=

I am working with a digital marketing company to launch my first funnel and have been asked to provide them with the top three problems that entrepreneurs face in terms of negative emotions that they experience.

Based on my own experience in both coaching entrepreneurs and conducting in-depth podcast interviews with them for my YouTube Channel, the following six themes came up repeatedly (with the top 3 being the most cited):

I used CHATGPT to compile and analyze all my published interviews/coaching sessions (using the video scripts) to come up with this list, would absolutely appreciate people's two cents on if these resonate or if there are any additional negative thoughts/emotions that should be added to the list.

I hope this thread sparks some valuable engagement that everyone can benefit from! :blush:
I wonder how the strength of those emotions correlates with the amount of VALUE those entrepreneurs provide. Like there are people who have a line of customers at their door due to really good and rare product. There are those in a competitive market who compete with price with dozen other completely similar companies and there are those who lack any sales for months because they sell sand in the desert (because there are thousands sand-sellers around them and Billy Seller, whose $5000 course I took, made fortune on sand-selling in New Orleans in 2005)

Mindsetmary

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
I wonder how the strength of those emotions correlates with the amount of VALUE those entrepreneurs provide. Like there are people who have a line of customers at their door due to really good and rare product. There are those in a competitive market who compete with price with dozen other completely similar companies and there are those who lack any sales for months because they sell sand in the desert (because there are thousands sand-sellers around them and Billy Seller, whose $5000 course I took, made fortune on sand-selling in New Orleans in 2005)
I've worked with entrepreneurs that attribute their sense of self-worth to the value they create in the marketplace and the need to feel needed and valued by others and they tend to overcompensate professionally as a way to cope or mask negative emotions.

In my experience, negative emotions tends to be an internal game often rooted in childhood, upbringing, past conditioning, negative thought loops/patterns, etc. I have some entrepreneurs who's sense of self-worth diminishes with more success/fame/notoriety that they attain because there are unresolved emotions of guilt, fear, shame and an underlying belief that they are not worthy of the success and thus begin to feel like an imposture.

I think we have a responsibility to be good human beings, as my mentor says, "first remove suffering from yourself, then help remove it from other people"! When we don't do that we end up harming all those around us or those who cross our path. Thanks for sharing your perspective and I'm sorry that happened to you...

Exy_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 10, 2024
In my experience, negative emotions tends to be an internal game often rooted in childhood, upbringing, past conditioning, negative thought loops/patterns, etc
Very true. I read about this in think and grow rich (rlly good book for bettering mindset imo) and it even mentions that not only do alot of people have a poor self image, they also have 6 fears that hold them back (most common was fear of poverty i believe) . Crazy to see how much mindset impacts you in your journey and people still go through it with a heap of negative emotions, fears and self doubts

Attachments

• 1717930911438.png
    1717930911438.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 7

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I wonder how the strength of those emotions correlates with the amount of VALUE those entrepreneurs provide.

I've provided a ton of value over the course of my entrepreneurial career. For the last 25 years, I've reached a worldwide audience in both my businesses and books, which are in stores all over the world.

And yet, I can confirm I still feel all of these emotions with the exception to Identity Crises..

In order of intensity, from most to least...
  1. Burnout / Exhaustion - I'm here everyday and have been for 15+ years; some of you can see the "burnout" in my posts with low tolerances and jaded responses. This is something I struggle with daily and it has only gotten worse as many people expect my time for free, and it has given me a unique insight into people in general that I find a bit disturbing (I just had someone this morning asking me to send them money with no reason other than they asked.)
  2. Overwhelm + Stress - This is more about not having time for all the great things I want to do! Entrepreneurship is fun, but I struggle to manage all the things I'd like to do. It upsets me that I can't answer every post here, or every email that I get.
  3. Fear of Failure / Uncertainty - I don't fear failure much at all. What did I learn and what's next? The uncertainty, however, is more about a changing culture that embraces victimhood and rewards sloth, laziness, and compliance. Since the pandemic, my view on culture and their ability to be manipulated, coerced, and propagandized has been forever altered for the negative. Bottomline, if the television tells your neighbor anything based on fear, AND coming from the right uncensored "preapproved" authoritative sources, you can bet your neighbor won't cognitively resist. Nothing has changed since Hitler. There has been no great enlightenment.
  4. Loneliness / Isolation: I'm essentially a one man show with one employee. I don't have co-workers and I don't meet regularly with a group of entrepreneurs. This wasn't much of a problem in AZ, but it got worse since I moved to UT. Business can be lonely.
  5. Self-doubt/Inadequacy: I feel this sporadically, but it still exists. Why aren't my books as popular as some of these bigger names? Why hasn't a big American publishing company tried to sign me, I've sold 1M+ books for Christ sakes! Usually when an author sells a lot of self-published books , they'll get 10 publishers trying to sign them. Me? Not a peep.
  6. Identity Crises: I'm an entrepreneur and author -- I don't have too many identity issues.

The other emotion that I feel strongly is an irritation / jaded / injustice / cynical emotion which manifests itself in business as more of a WTF disposition... @MTF will relate to this ... For example, the idiot on Instagram that gives you recipes on how to slowly poision yourself with fat/sugar ladened processed food has 125,000 followers.

I try to teach people how to live their best life and I can barely crack 40k.

This irritation feels like an emotion, and yes, it irritates the F*ck out of me.

Then I have to remind myself that comparison is the thief of happiness ... 98% of the time I'm extraordinarily happy.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
The other emotion that I feel strongly is an irritation / jaded / injustice / cynical emotion which manifests itself in business as more of a WTF disposition... @MTF will relate to this ... For example, the idiot on Instagram that gives you recipes on how to slowly poision yourself with fat/sugar ladened processed food has 125,000 followers.

This irritation feels like an emotion, and yes, it irritates the F*ck out of me.
IMO, speaking as one of your customers (GoalSumo.com) and "superfans" of your writing..

The reason I was attracted to your work and this forum in the first place is BECAUSE it's small.

If you had a well-polished instagram with 2.5 million followers like Alex Hormozi, I probably wouldn't have ever paid attention.

Likewise if this forum had millions of people on it, I probably wouldn't pay attention much. But since it's tightknit and we know the backstory of success for a lot of people who post here, it feels safe to take advice.

Robert Kiyosaki's stuff might be good, but I don't know I never looked at it.

The mainstream, millions of people watching, is a huge turnoff for your target audience probably.

Which is why you have one of the most ENGAGED communities, probably way more engaged than another mainstream entrepreneur with millions of followers.

I mean.. perfect example here! I can post this and have confidence that you'll see it and maybe even reply! Try getting that out of robert kiyosaki..

I can recall 80% of information in your books probably. I know the jargon, everything.

I can barely remember a single thing from Alex Hormozi's book.

The reason is simply because I (and all of us on here) feel personally connected to YOU.

Which means being on this forum right now and interacting with you is actually a huge unfair advantage because you act as an accountability partner to thousands of people, and it's much easier to recall information and see your book as something worthy of applying in the real world.

So you are actually making an impact that those guys could only dream of having. Quality > Quantity

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
  1. Self-doubt/Inadequacy: I feel this sporadically, but it still exists. Why aren't my books as popular as some of these bigger names? Why hasn't a big American publishing company tried to sign me, I've sold 1M+ books for Christ sakes! Usually when an author sells a lot of self-published books , they'll get 10 publishers trying to sign them. Me? Not a peep.
None of the other bigger names has a thriving community and an active forum.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
None of the other bigger names has a thriving community and an active forum.

That's because their focus is not community, it's on expensive courses and getting big returns on their time.

I spent years at the Rich Dad forums, RK never showed up and posted.

Not once.

This will be my 38,418th post here.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
@MJ DeMarco a great entrepreneur told me once that I am doing great when I was at my lowest. I think I want return the favor, You're doing great as well you've done a lot for a lot of people here. Sure your books may not be as big as the big names, but you have definitely made an impact for most of us here. It is your story that has made a huge impact for most of us and the knowledge you share of your endavours.

You're doing great ;) and you're not alone MJ! You are enough my friend. You are forever Welcome to the Dallas-Fort Worth meetup!

Plus Runum.

Last edited:

pmusu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
May 17, 2024
Amsterdam
@Mindsetmary I highly recommend The book "6 pillars of self-steem" by Nathaniel Branden.

I struggle to manage all the things I'd like to do. It upsets me that I can't answer every post here, or every email that I get.

I like Tim Ferris's idea that 'to do the big things, you have to let the small bad things happen.' You can rest assured that you knocked it out of the park when it comes to the big things, like changing people's lives.

flyingguitarist

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 27, 2021
IMO, speaking as one of your customers (GoalSumo.com) and "superfans" of your writing..

The reason I was attracted to your work and this forum in the first place is BECAUSE it's small.

If you had a well-polished instagram with 2.5 million followers like Alex Hormozi, I probably wouldn't have ever paid attention.

Likewise if this forum had millions of people on it, I probably wouldn't pay attention much. But since it's tightknit and we know the backstory of success for a lot of people who post here, it feels safe to take advice.

Robert Kiyosaki's stuff might be good, but I don't know I never looked at it.

The mainstream, millions of people watching, is a huge turnoff for your target audience probably.

Which is why you have one of the most ENGAGED communities, probably way more engaged than another mainstream entrepreneur with millions of followers.

I mean.. perfect example here! I can post this and have confidence that you'll see it and maybe even reply! Try getting that out of robert kiyosaki..

I can recall 80% of information in your books probably. I know the jargon, everything.

I can barely remember a single thing from Alex Hormozi's book.

The reason is simply because I (and all of us on here) feel personally connected to YOU.

Which means being on this forum right now and interacting with you is actually a huge unfair advantage because you act as an accountability partner to thousands of people, and it's much easier to recall information and see your book as something worthy of applying in the real world.

So you are actually making an impact that those guys could only dream of having. Quality > Quantity
I agree with this! that's why I'm in this forum ,where i can learn ,interact .also if mj was too mainstream guy spouting the same stuff,I wouldn't be here(I think that's why I got attracted to Unscripted )deep down there is a desire to rebel and reject the mainstream status quo . Looking for better alternatives and replace it. This forum has that growth-minded people , I am grateful for its valuable posts

Mindsetmary

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
Very true. I read about this in think and grow rich (rlly good book for bettering mindset imo) and it even mentions that not only do alot of people have a poor self image, they also have 6 fears that hold them back (most common was fear of poverty i believe) . Crazy to see how much mindset impacts you in your journey and people still go through it with a heap of negative emotions, fears and self doubts
I can relate to all those fears, and I would agree fear of poverty would be my number 1 as well because it threatens our very basic need for survival (food, water, shelter) and as we get older and our level of obligation increases (mortgage, car, bills, kids, etc.), I think this fear gets amplified because there is just so much at stake. I haven't come across these before and appreciate you sharing them as they provide some great insights into the human psyche!

Mindsetmary

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
I've provided a ton of value over the course of my entrepreneurial career. For the last 25 years, I've reached a worldwide audience in both my businesses and books, which are in stores all over the world.

And yet, I can confirm I still feel all of these emotions with the exception to Identity Crises..

In order of intensity, from most to least...
  1. Burnout / Exhaustion - I'm here everyday and have been for 15+ years; some of you can see the "burnout" in my posts with low tolerances and jaded responses. This is something I struggle with daily and it has only gotten worse as many people expect my time for free, and it has given me a unique insight into people in general that I find a bit disturbing (I just had someone this morning asking me to send them money with no reason other than they asked.)
  2. Overwhelm + Stress - This is more about not having time for all the great things I want to do! Entrepreneurship is fun, but I struggle to manage all the things I'd like to do. It upsets me that I can't answer every post here, or every email that I get.
  3. Fear of Failure / Uncertainty - I don't fear failure much at all. What did I learn and what's next? The uncertainty, however, is more about a changing culture that embraces victimhood and rewards sloth, laziness, and compliance. Since the pandemic, my view on culture and their ability to be manipulated, coerced, and propagandized has been forever altered for the negative. Bottomline, if the television tells your neighbor anything based on fear, AND coming from the right uncensored "preapproved" authoritative sources, you can bet your neighbor won't cognitively resist. Nothing has changed since Hitler. There has been no great enlightenment.
  4. Loneliness / Isolation: I'm essentially a one man show with one employee. I don't have co-workers and I don't meet regularly with a group of entrepreneurs. This wasn't much of a problem in AZ, but it got worse since I moved to UT. Business can be lonely.
  5. Self-doubt/Inadequacy: I feel this sporadically, but it still exists. Why aren't my books as popular as some of these bigger names? Why hasn't a big American publishing company tried to sign me, I've sold 1M+ books for Christ sakes! Usually when an author sells a lot of self-published books , they'll get 10 publishers trying to sign them. Me? Not a peep.
  6. Identity Crises: I'm an entrepreneur and author -- I don't have too many identity issues.

Then I have to remind myself that comparison is the thief of happiness ... 98% of the time I'm extraordinarily happy.
Thank you MJ for such an honest and vulnerable reflection, this is so helpful not just to me but to everyone in the forum who also struggles with negative emotions. Most of us think that we're supposed to suppress or get rid of them somehow but the truth is that they are actually supposed to exists, they are part of life's duality, we couldn't experience happiness if we didn't experience sadness. The undesirable 2% creates a strong contrast that allows you to fully feel and appreciate your 98%! =)

I once listened to a podcast by Dr. Susan David which totally flipped my relationship with my negative emotions. She said that emotions are just information, neither good or bad, they are like passing clouds that are transitory in nature but we are the sky and its up to us to interpret and give meaning to that information and take appropriate action (based on whether we "decide" to give those emotions empowering/disempowering meaning).

I watched this reel yesterday on IG and it totally rubbed me the wrong way on an account that had 100K+ followers and he was like, you're tired, get used to it, everyone's tired, I show up tired everyday for the past X years, suck it up and stop complaining and it got so many likes. And I thought, wow great advice to show people the path to blowing themselves up! Eventually if we're not paying attention, we'll end up in financial ruin, suffer a health crisis (physical/mental) or start loosing important relationships (platonic or romantic). In the past year I have had the privilege to be connected to and learn from Dr. Jeff Spencer. I am certain most of the world does not know he exists and yet he has won 9 Tour de France competitions, was the high performance coach for 48 Olympic gold mentalists, was the performance and mindset coach for Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, U2, Richard Branson, and I can go on and on, and what he teaches me is the EXACT OPPOSITE of this garbage advice and he has been building champions for the past 40 years! Dr. Jeff is not built for average, he's built for gold and while others teach do more and burn ourself out, he teaches restraint and focusing on the one or two things that need to go right!

I think for you MJ just from what I have noticed in the short time that I have been here, you're in a completely different category than most and vanity metrics don't work on leaders like you! Your message is more of dog whistle, those that hear it cannot unhear it and those that don't hear it will never hear it! You've managed to grow this forum to almost 100K members by showing up every day and giving your time, attention and effort where it is needed and the only thing you ask for is that people read your books to better themselves! Most popular authors/entrepreneurs/guru's will not have what you have created here, some people in this forum have been here for 10+ years, sent out 30k+ messages, have become mentors to others, this very forum is a unicorn of its own uniqueness!

And lastly MJ, you're not built for mainstream publishing, social media, or anything else that I would consider an "average system" built for the masses. The fact that the average systems of the world won't pick up your work or hear your dog whistle is in fact validation that you're exactly where you need to be! Here with us! =)

Mindsetmary

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
That's because their focus is not community, it's on expensive courses and getting big returns on their time.

I spent years at the Rich Dad forums, RK never showed up and posted.

Not once.

This will be my 38,418th post here.
Precisely, my friend paid a significant amount of money to be in a private mastermind with one of the guru's/coaches/authors and every time he would finish his presentation he would get off the stage and disappear, they were never able to have access even after paying a significant amount of money to be in close proximity to him. And of course he has apps, courses, memberships, mastermind and has cracked the content monetization code! He is swimming in his "success" but success means different things to different people and our job is to figure out what it means to us (money, community, impact, connection, etc.) and built our life in such a way that creates alignment to what actually matters and track our performance against those metrics instead!

38,418! Incredible! I'm just a short distance behind you! ;)

Mindsetmary

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 10, 2024
Ottawa, Canada
@Mindsetmary I highly recommend The book "6 pillars of self-steem" by Nathaniel Branden.

I like Tim Ferris's idea that 'to do the big things, you have to let the small bad things happen.' You can rest assured that you knocked it out of the park when it comes to the big things, like changing people's lives.
Thx, I will search up a book review and go over it, appreciate the recommendation and great mind shift on "let the small bad things happen", sometimes we just need to give ourselves permission to stop trying to control and just let go of the small stuff!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

Yep, this is why I can't do content creation anymore. Degeneracy, controversy, and polarization draw most attention. I don't want to participate in that as the odds are stacked against anyone who's concerned about the ethics.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Yep, this is why I can't do content creation anymore. Degeneracy, controversy, and polarization draw most attention. I don't want to participate in that as the odds are stacked against anyone who's concerned about the ethics.
I remember Medium founder created the site to avoid the click-bait economy that encourages polarization.

End up the hottest trending articles on medium are how to grow followers on medium and make $100 a day writing. It becomes a complete joke.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.