The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To the person with multiple inventions

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Hello! currently in the process of mass producing my 1st invention after about a dozen sales. I wanted to ask, since I will be working on my second invention after this, how do you organize your inventions under your name? Do you create a single business for each invention? Or 1 business for all? For example I have 1 invention in the Golf niche, lets call it Golf Pro. My second invention is for the Auto Industry, lets call it Auto Pro.

Do you create a single business and put them both underneath? Like Spikeroo Innovations LLC and sell them both under that business, or Auto Pro LLC and Golf Pro LLC and keep them separate?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
I don't have multiple inventions, but I set my business up like I will. I created a generic business like LateStart LLC and then made a DBA for Invention1. Invention1 is owned by LateStart LLC. Amazon shows my legal business as LateStart LLC and my brand as Invention1. I'll create additional DBAs if needed.

I have no idea if this is the proper way. I hope someone will correct me if this was a bad idea. I'm sure there's tax reasons or selling the business in the future where setting up the invention as a DBA might not be the best option. I can probably restructure later if needed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
FWIW I have an e-commerce business and a software business. My accountant told me that if I plan on selling them at some point separately (and not as a package), it's better (tax wise) to split them early and avoid trying to do it right before a sale (if they were both under some umbrella company). I'm in Canada. I would suggest asking an accountant as soon as you start to get some sales/traction from both products.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
I have multiple inventions on the market and I use a single LLC. But it's situational. SO you need to look at a couple of things like, what's the liability of a single product or the probability of infringement. If those things are high then you want an individual business entity for each product. I have a single entity because I have licensed the IP to different companies in different industries. There was a low probability of infringement and liability with the products.

You dont need different entities but it can help in some situations.

Are you licensing or venturing?

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I have multiple inventions on the market and I use a single LLC. But it's situational. SO you need to look at a couple of things like, what's the liability of a single product or the probability of infringement. If those things are high then you want an individual business entity for each product. I have a single entity because I have licensed the IP to different companies in different industries. There was a low probability of infringement and liability with the products.

You dont need different entities but it can help in some situations.

Are you licensing or venturing?
Can I message you?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.