The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on using a CMS instead of building my site?

Young and Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
I was thinking I could use a CMS at the beginning and maybe have someone build my site after I have money coming in?

In the book, MJ says that there needs to be a barrier for entry. My question is, if you can build the same exact site in less time, why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
If you really can build the exact same site, then why not use the CMS? The barrier to entry is great, but even just putting in (and filling with original content, etc...) your own CMS on your host does present a barrier to entry (it's not as easy as paying $100 to join a MLM or $8.00 for some VistaPrint business cards, for example).

That being said, if you really can duplicate a site that easily, try to figure out why more people aren't doing it. Is there a need for another site like that? Can you do something even better than what they are already doing? If tons of people are already doing it, you'll have to be even more exceptional than them in order to rise above the noise. There is a TON of noise out there.

On the flip side... can you build your own site? If you can and you think you can do it even better and more customized than the CMS option would allow you, then go for it!

Some action is better than no action :)

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, start from the CMS.

Tweak it as needed.

Depending on your level of expertise, go with Wordpress if you are not a seasoned developer, or you can work on others like drupal and joomla if you can understand their architecture.

Good luck.

Young and Rich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
If you really can build the exact same site, then why not use the CMS? The barrier to entry is great, but even just putting in (and filling with original content, etc...) your own CMS on your host does present a barrier to entry (it's not as easy as paying $100 to join a MLM or $8.00 for some VistaPrint business cards, for example).

That being said, if you really can duplicate a site that easily, try to figure out why more people aren't doing it. Is there a need for another site like that? Can you do something even better than what they are already doing? If tons of people are already doing it, you'll have to be even more exceptional than them in order to rise above the noise. There is a TON of noise out there.

On the flip side... can you build your own site? If you can and you think you can do it even better and more customized than the CMS option would allow you, then go for it!

Some action is better than no action :)

My market only has 1 other competitor at the moment which is doing a bad job at providing a clean/easy to use/fun website.
The reason I want to START with a CMS is just because of being quick to market.

Yes, start from the CMS.

Tweak it as needed.

Depending on your level of expertise, go with Wordpress if you are not a seasoned developer, or you can work on others like drupal and joomla if you can understand their architecture.

Good luck.

Thanks for the solid advice, i am actually going with drupal.

I am actually fairly fluent in html/css, but not that great at javascript/php. I mean, I know the syntax for both languages, but I don't know how to build anything with it

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Drupal and a couple of hundreds of dollars can give you a decent template and look and feel. Cheap way to test the waters and see where this takes you.

dreaminBIG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jul 12, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I recently started my first e-commerce venture, and have it set up with Drupal. So far we haven't had any problems with it, and I believe the CMS way is the way to go--at least up until a certain point. Why throw more money and time in starting up than you need to?

Drupal is supposed to be very scalable, but I could see where a custom-built site would prove necessary after you reach a certain number of customers/users. I will be running Drupal until I run into any huge problems.

Tronik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington,D.C
Im working on my ECommerce site right now too, I'll probably end up using Drupal or Joomla, then transitioning to a custom layout once the site proves profitable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.