The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on Paid Amazon Services?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Hey,

Just checking in with you guys to see what your thoughts are on promotional amazon services such as Zonblast and AMZtracker?

I am releasing my first product on Amazon around the end of this week and intend on spiking the algorithm through the connections I have alreadt established but I have read alot about using these services.

I also went through all of my competitors reviews and they are using the same services (you can tell because it states , " I received this product at a discount for my honest review" I am concerned with this method although everyone is doing it.

1. Will Amazon one day say, we are removing everyone that has these types of reviews because they are not truly honest.

2. If i dont use it, how can I compete in such a way that I spike the velocity of sales/reviews like my competitors?

Thanks guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I don't know what those services are but anything centred around
gaming the system for easy wins wont be around long or is a suitable way
to build your business long term.

Dont think amazon and these other platforms don't know about these services lol.

You're just one executive decision away from losing everything:)

Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014

Dont fool yourself thinking amazon and these other platforms don't know about these services lol.

You're just one executive decision away from losing everything:)
It's all within the terms and conditions and everyone is using them Im just not sure if thats the way to go - @Vigilante do you have any experience with these?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

That's not necessarily true. Many businesses were built when it was easy to "game" SEO - and have had success long term. There is nothing wrong with exploiting a strategy - but you need to adapt as the system changes and grows. If you can't adapt, that's when you're left high and dry.

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
Hey,

Just checking in with you guys to see what your thoughts are on promotional amazon services such as Zonblast and AMZtracker?

I am releasing my first product on Amazon around the end of this week and intend on spiking the algorithm through the connections I have alreadt established but I have read alot about using these services.

I also went through all of my competitors reviews and they are using the same services (you can tell because it states , " I received this product at a discount for my honest review" I am concerned with this method although everyone is doing it.

1. Will Amazon one day say, we are removing everyone that has these types of reviews because they are not truly honest.

2. If i dont use it, how can I compete in such a way that I spike the velocity of sales/reviews like my competitors?

Thanks guys

I have given some of those reviews thru services like SnagShout.com. I try to be honest but probably, usually, am biased towards liking the product.
I understand your dilemma. I don't think you should be held accountable if someone else is dishonest. That is a question for your own morality and ethics.
However, if you feel ok using those services then Amazon removes them later have you really lost anything? nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It's all within the terms and conditions and everyone is using them Im just not sure if thats the way to go - @Vigilante do you have any experience with these?

I haven't used them. Our business gained momentum before this became a thing.

My observations :

1. It is sanctioned by Amazon currently. Before you do it though, make sure you research the hell out of it to ensure 100% compliance with every aspect of Amazon policy in that regard

2. Smart consumers see through it

3. Dumb consumers don't see through it

4. I have contacted Amazon's executive team several months ago asking them to eliminate it

5. If I had a new brand and an unknown, unranked product I would probably try it

6. I have competitors that have used it --- some successfully and some unsuccessfully. The bottom line is you still have to have a GREAT product. While the majority of the paid reviews will be favorable, once real customers start buying it they will hammer you and the other reviews if the product sucks.

I don't like it, but my own purist opinion doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I am old school, and we built things the old school way which gives them a firmer foundation. If I had to start over again today, I might use those types of tools to circumvent the lengthy process of building a reputation the hard way.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I try to be honest but probably, usually, am biased towards liking the product.

That's because of the Benjamin Franklin effect... These companies know if they are giving away their products, or deeply discounting them, the reviewer will feel somewhat obligated to give a better than reality review.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That's because of the Benjamin Franklin effect... These companies know if they are giving away their products, or deeply discounting them, the reviewer will feel somewhat obligated to give a better than reality review.

That was the basis for my complaint to Amazon.

Unless your product flat out SUCKS, you'll average 4**** - 5***** reviews when you give someone something they ask for --- for free.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I have used products like these in the past but dropped them all for 2 reasons.

1. The review quality that you get SUCKS. They are normally short reviews and most of them you can tell they didn't use the product.

2. Much better success and review quality when I ran a Facebook ad campaign to a landing page and got the customers email to send them a discount code.

You want to get your product in front of REAL CUSTOMERS not just a group that (for the most part) wants free stuff. You will also always have people reselling the items that they received.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
I haven't used them. Our business gained momentum before this became a thing.

My observations :

1. It is sanctioned by Amazon currently. Before you do it though, make sure you research the hell out of it to ensure 100% compliance with every aspect of Amazon policy in that regard

2. Smart consumers see through it

3. Dumb consumers don't see through it

4. I have contacted Amazon's executive team several months ago asking them to eliminate it

5. If I had a new brand and an unknown, unranked product I would probably try it

6. I have competitors that have used it --- some successfully and some unsuccessfully. The bottom line is you still have to have a GREAT product. While the majority of the paid reviews will be favorable, once real customers start buying it they will hammer you and the other reviews if the product sucks.

I don't like it, but my own purist opinion doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I am old school, and we built things the old school way which gives them a firmer foundation. If I had to start over again today, I might use those types of tools to circumvent the lengthy process of building a reputation the hard way.

This is exactly what I've been thinking as well. I guess my main concern is using a service like this due to the market saturation (in compliance with current Amazon rules and Amazon coming back to me in 8 months after changing this loophole and saying, "You used X service you are not allowed to sell with us because it is a form of manipulation".

I have used products like these in the past but dropped them all for 2 reasons.

1. The review quality that you get SUCKS. They are normally short reviews and most of them you can tell they didn't use the product.

2. Much better success and review quality when I ran a Facebook ad campaign to a landing page and got the customers email to send them a discount code.

You want to get your product in front of REAL CUSTOMERS not just a group that (for the most part) wants free stuff. You will also always have people reselling the items that they received.

You have two really good points and this doesn't always guarantee positive reviews or truthful reviews. The main reason I am entertaining the thought of using a service like this is to spike the algorithm to actually be seen by organic customers. I do have a FB page of about 9k people in my niche and I think I am going to test with a landing page/ fb ads before I go and use a service to gain sales.

It's true, I was reading through many of my competitor's reviews and they are so generic its painful to read and that's not something I want to do.

For reference what I am looking into using is AMZTracker. Not only does this allow you to gather reviews from people who want to review your product for a discount - it actually shows what their average rating is so you can accept or reject their offer.

It's got a couple other awesome perks like tracking competitor sales, metrics, and the best keywords.. Im not affiliated but my roommate uses it and I have discussed this a lot with him and he see's nothing wrong with it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Top level reviews (regardless of content) can drive overall impression, affect ranking, and cause people to buy. If an item has 50 5***** reviews, that might make the purchasing decision for the consumer, and they might never even read the reviews. That's what you are looking for using that model, so it really doesn't matter that the reviews are generic. You're after the star ranking, not necessarily the product commentary.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Top level reviews (regardless of content) can drive overall impression, affect ranking, and cause people to buy. If an item has 50 5***** reviews, that might make the purchasing decision for the consumer, and they might never even read the reviews. That's what you are looking for using that model, so it really doesn't matter that the reviews are generic. You're after the star ranking, not necessarily the product commentary.

Very true. When you release a product do you have a specific launch sequence you run or does the base of your brand/company carry the product out and gather organic sales from the get-go?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.