The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is Rörik's introduction

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
I really want to get the most out of the forum, so I'm literally just doing what I was messaged to do and introducing myself.

I am a 23 year old male born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden where I still live.
Notably:
I accidentally got my girlfriend pregnant 2 years ago - so now I'm a 23 year old man with a wife and daughter.

To add to that I never really had a job before.
I tried a business venture before, doing an administrative app with my brother and one of his friends that would help private teachers in their day to day work. We failed miserably in the execution portion and did just about every mistake we could make and I was sort of scared off entrepreneurship. But that was also when I had everything provided for me by someone else.
I've been supported by my father until about a couple of months ago where I had to get a job. My first job was gardening, I did 11 hour shifts getting paid by the hour in the sweltering summer. Then I tried to become a bot mechanic by becoming an apprentice. At the first week I tried to figure out how I could eventually make my own business and become wealthy again. I see myself as someone who was given every opportunity and spoiled from birth who didn't take advantage of any of it and I'm now feeling what it's like to be normal. At that week every mechanic, including the old ones who had owned their own business, freelanced, and by all accounts were the most successful in the field - they all said that being a mechanic was basically retarded if you wanted to be rich also. You had to just love engines and not care too much about money. Instead they said, the money was all in selling the boats and owning the marina. To me this meant dropping my job as an apprentice immediately and instead getting a job as a salesman.

Right now I work that sales job, I sell ads in an industry paper, cold calling businesses for eight-ish hours every day and getting a small commission and some steady salary. While the upper expectations of this job is high for normal people, it's still not enough to regain my freedom. I would just be a really fancy slave if I kept going.

So instead I was trying to figure out how to make real money and by accident came across someone who talked about this forum. I looked up the forum, saw there were some books, then I got the book "unscripted " and throughout the entire process of reading it I loved what I saw. I had spent my life mostly invested in politics and philosophy - and I for some reason saw business as unrefined. Reading Unscripted I noticed an abstract systematic thinking I had only ever encountered in philosophy before. It made me realize that business was the same thing that I loved in politics and philosophy except it could ALSO solve my problem with money.

Some other noteworthy side things about me is maybe that my mother is in prison for murder and that I was homeless for about 9 months following the arrest of my mother creating unforeseen complications, such as dropping out of my uni program. This is where my father started to take care of my expenses despite having another family at that point.
-----

Hopefully that deals with any personal questions which now leaves me to the thing I find interesting:
Because of my personal tendency to drop out whenever things get hard, and since my job is good enough to pay for my living expenses so that I won't get homeless again, I figured I could spend a year dedicated to a single business idea.

If it fails after a whole year of repeated failure and pivots to try and create value despite the issues arising, I figure worst case scenario is I build some tougher skin, get to spend a whole lot of time practicing problem solving and hopefully some solutions I solve become applicable in future business as well.

Me not being the greatest student of the fastlane and MJ, I might misrepresent or misunderstand the terms and models from the book, so forgive any discrepancy and please correct it if you think it might be detrimental to my progress!

The idea is essentially to become a record label company but for influencers. My thinking is this;
1/ Everyone my age and younger wants to be an influencer. It is the most wanted job and thus the business of helping people become an influencer should be more profitable than the heavy competition of being the influencer themselves.
2/If I was to be an influencer, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried already. What I constantly would be asking, and did ask, was "What am I supposed to do?" and "How do I make money from this?". So I figure that if I can create services and solve those issues, then everything from aspiring influencers to already successful ones would pay for the solution.

My main issue is that I can't really pin point on what exactly to do now.
My thinking is that a record label provides value by 1/helping produce content 2/Helping build and maintain an audience/community and 3/helping to monetize the content and audience assets. But I worry that if I focus on ALL services of a label company, I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm providing value. I think I need to focus on only providing a single one of the dimensions to begin with, to really solve that issue before moving onto the rest. - Is this stupid perhaps? I'd love feedback on that actually.

Furthermore, my only real idea right now is to cold call micro influencers in Stockholm and try to sell myself as a helping hand without trying to get payment. My thinking is that if I can get access to a single micro influencer, and I can be free helping hand, then I can more accurately pinpoint exactly where the problem arises for influencers, and I can figure out a solution for that influencer which I can then work on repackaging into something to be scaled for any and all influencers and from that point build out to be a label company.

So to begin with I'm trying to just be a manager for a single influencer and try to use what I know from selling advertising to instead try and put together ideas for him to monetize his audience and content. Then to work with him through his problems to help solve them at twice the rate he could otherwise, thus giving him value while also allowing me to understand that value better to then build the business around.

My next action comes in tomorrow, since I procrastrinated it today: To call the one influencer I have in mind, and if he says no, to then prospect for another couple and try to get at least one out of maybe 10-20 I end up calling to say yes to getting free help. Once they accept, then I'll just starting trying to befriend them and see if I can't understand their problems from their perspective.
-----

If I've made any mistakes in formatting for this forum, please inform me so I can correct anything. If my writing was unclear or shit in any way, again, point it out so I can fix it. And finally if you have any input or questions about the business idea, please don't hesitate to ask.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
I really want to get the most out of the forum, so I'm literally just doing what I was messaged to do and introducing myself.

I am a 23 year old male born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden where I still live.
Notably:
I accidentally got my girlfriend pregnant 2 years ago - so now I'm a 23 year old man with a wife and daughter.

To add to that I never really had a job before.
I tried a business venture before, doing an administrative app with my brother and one of his friends that would help private teachers in their day to day work. We failed miserably in the execution portion and did just about every mistake we could make and I was sort of scared off entrepreneurship. But that was also when I had everything provided for me by someone else.
I've been supported by my father until about a couple of months ago where I had to get a job. My first job was gardening, I did 11 hour shifts getting paid by the hour in the sweltering summer. Then I tried to become a bot mechanic by becoming an apprentice. At the first week I tried to figure out how I could eventually make my own business and become wealthy again. I see myself as someone who was given every opportunity and spoiled from birth who didn't take advantage of any of it and I'm now feeling what it's like to be normal. At that week every mechanic, including the old ones who had owned their own business, freelanced, and by all accounts were the most successful in the field - they all said that being a mechanic was basically retarded if you wanted to be rich also. You had to just love engines and not care too much about money. Instead they said, the money was all in selling the boats and owning the marina. To me this meant dropping my job as an apprentice immediately and instead getting a job as a salesman.

Right now I work that sales job, I sell ads in an industry paper, cold calling businesses for eight-ish hours every day and getting a small commission and some steady salary. While the upper expectations of this job is high for normal people, it's still not enough to regain my freedom. I would just be a really fancy slave if I kept going.

So instead I was trying to figure out how to make real money and by accident came across someone who talked about this forum. I looked up the forum, saw there were some books, then I got the book "unscripted " and throughout the entire process of reading it I loved what I saw. I had spent my life mostly invested in politics and philosophy - and I for some reason saw business as unrefined. Reading Unscripted I noticed an abstract systematic thinking I had only ever encountered in philosophy before. It made me realize that business was the same thing that I loved in politics and philosophy except it could ALSO solve my problem with money.

Some other noteworthy side things about me is maybe that my mother is in prison for murder and that I was homeless for about 9 months following the arrest of my mother creating unforeseen complications, such as dropping out of my uni program. This is where my father started to take care of my expenses despite having another family at that point.
-----

Hopefully that deals with any personal questions which now leaves me to the thing I find interesting:
Because of my personal tendency to drop out whenever things get hard, and since my job is good enough to pay for my living expenses so that I won't get homeless again, I figured I could spend a year dedicated to a single business idea.

If it fails after a whole year of repeated failure and pivots to try and create value despite the issues arising, I figure worst case scenario is I build some tougher skin, get to spend a whole lot of time practicing problem solving and hopefully some solutions I solve become applicable in future business as well.

Me not being the greatest student of the fastlane and MJ, I might misrepresent or misunderstand the terms and models from the book, so forgive any discrepancy and please correct it if you think it might be detrimental to my progress!

The idea is essentially to become a record label company but for influencers. My thinking is this;
1/ Everyone my age and younger wants to be an influencer. It is the most wanted job and thus the business of helping people become an influencer should be more profitable than the heavy competition of being the influencer themselves.
2/If I was to be an influencer, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried already. What I constantly would be asking, and did ask, was "What am I supposed to do?" and "How do I make money from this?". So I figure that if I can create services and solve those issues, then everything from aspiring influencers to already successful ones would pay for the solution.

My main issue is that I can't really pin point on what exactly to do now.
My thinking is that a record label provides value by 1/helping produce content 2/Helping build and maintain an audience/community and 3/helping to monetize the content and audience assets. But I worry that if I focus on ALL services of a label company, I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm providing value. I think I need to focus on only providing a single one of the dimensions to begin with, to really solve that issue before moving onto the rest. - Is this stupid perhaps? I'd love feedback on that actually.

Furthermore, my only real idea right now is to cold call micro influencers in Stockholm and try to sell myself as a helping hand without trying to get payment. My thinking is that if I can get access to a single micro influencer, and I can be free helping hand, then I can more accurately pinpoint exactly where the problem arises for influencers, and I can figure out a solution for that influencer which I can then work on repackaging into something to be scaled for any and all influencers and from that point build out to be a label company.

So to begin with I'm trying to just be a manager for a single influencer and try to use what I know from selling advertising to instead try and put together ideas for him to monetize his audience and content. Then to work with him through his problems to help solve them at twice the rate he could otherwise, thus giving him value while also allowing me to understand that value better to then build the business around.

My next action comes in tomorrow, since I procrastrinated it today: To call the one influencer I have in mind, and if he says no, to then prospect for another couple and try to get at least one out of maybe 10-20 I end up calling to say yes to getting free help. Once they accept, then I'll just starting trying to befriend them and see if I can't understand their problems from their perspective.
-----

If I've made any mistakes in formatting for this forum, please inform me so I can correct anything. If my writing was unclear or shit in any way, again, point it out so I can fix it. And finally if you have any input or questions about the business idea, please don't hesitate to ask.

Your plan to setup a record label really does sound like a big gamble.

Selling advertising space in a trade magazine might not be that lucrative. But sales is a huge area. And some of these sales jobs are really well paid.

Creating a startup - it can take years to make a decent profit.

Your quickest to profit is probably a high-paid sales job.

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
Your plan to setup a record label really does sound like a big gamble.

Selling advertising space in a trade magazine might not be that lucrative. But sales is a huge area. And some of these sales jobs are really well paid.

Creating a startup - it can take years to make a decent profit.

Your quickest to profit is probably a high-paid sales job.
I have no frame of reference for what a high-paid sales job is. If I stick to the job I have now it's expected to put me at about 8k usd pre tax / month. After a year they also have options for me to set it up so I work as a consultant purely on commission which will be way higher. At that point I should have recurring customer stock and I can reduce the tax from about half to a quarter, so it'll go from 4k -> 6k post tax IF I even get to that point to begin with.

The record label is definitely a big gamble, but I spend only time on it, no money, so I'm not sure I'm risking much. And I plan work only after my normal job hours and during weekends. Like I wrote; I think it might fail, but I intend to at least lock myself in so I'm forced to solve as many problems as possible and then by the time the year has passed, I'll either have the start of a functioning business or I'll have lots of experience to help transition me into the next idea.

What exactly does quickest to profit mean and why is it relevant? My plan is to work for living and then build something which can explode massively on the side - is this rationale insufficient?

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
What exactly does quickest to profit mean and why is it relevant? My plan is to work for living and then build something which can explode massively on the side - is this rationale insufficient?
That should read "quickest route to profit" - sorry!
It's relevant because that's your goal right - freedom from a day job that does not inspire you.

I really admire your enthusiasm but most of these influencers probably never even pick up their phones. Then what?

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
That should read "quickest route to profit" - sorry!
It's relevant because that's your goal right - freedom from a day job that does not inspire you.

I really admire your enthusiasm but most of these influencers probably never even pick up their phones. Then what?
I'll respond to you tomorrow when I've actually called them and know more.

Since I think the gold rush is that everyone wants to be an influencer rather than everyone being, I guess the next goal, if nobody answered, is to find a literal nobody and give them the same spiel and then work together to create solutions which can then be repackaged and sold towards influencer-want-to-bes and current influencer who want to upgrade. If literally nobody answers, I'll try to see if I can build a moderate audience myself and do the same. This is what I mean by I'll try this idea for a year no matter how it fails, I'll try to do what seems to work best, but if that doesn't, I'll try to do that which is simply available.

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
ok, cool and good luck!
Mini update - I got an answer, and we have a longer meeting set up monday. Next two days will just be intense attempt to study and prepare as much as possible so that I can come out of the gate with value for him.

I basically just introduced myself and said I wanted to help him with his work and he was positive to the idea. I'll update the development on that.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
Mini update - I got an answer, and we have a longer meeting set up monday. Next two days will just be intense attempt to study and prepare as much as possible so that I can come out of the gate with value for him.

I basically just introduced myself and said I wanted to help him with his work and he was positive to the idea. I'll update the development on that.
Well done!

That is a great start.

What will you propose to him?

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
Well done!

That is a great start.

What will you propose to him?
Primarily I'm going to propose I do what you're doing for me but for him. That is be a supporting voice in the back of his head that helps and is genuinely interested without feeling like there's some catch or motive behind it.

Secondarily I'm going to basically say that my primarily value offered is that if he needs to finance something, anything, I will be the guy to come up with the money and do the work in the background. Meanwhile he can focus on the creative aspects, and I'll try to be the backend of logistics and finance that makes and keeps his production value and makes sure he can live off of the creative pursuit. While also being in a constant feedback loop so that I don't diminish his creative works by just selling the absolute shit out of his brand and ruining his connection with the audience.
So basically, if he needs the money for something, I will figure it out. This is the primary value I think I can provide, but at the same time I'll offer my ear and words if he wants someone to help figure out audience retention or the film technical stuff. I'm just less qualified in those areas, but extremely interested and willing to help out.

basically I want to focus on proposing benefit to him without trying to talk to much about details, because the details are not what I offer him anyways, just the solution. IF he asks however, I think I want a more detailed list ready. That is what I'm trying to figure out now. I want to have different solutions, but at least just one, ready for:
- merchandising
- renting/buying production assets at the best price
-getting crew/hiring for the production if that is needed
-getting location permissions / dealing with red tape that could get in the way of an idea
-different CPM programs from various influencer marketing agencies ready to offer
-a sponsorship program for companies to act as patrons for his art
-a program for how we would set up direct brand deals without an intermediary agent
-the different crowdfunding setups we could explore, if he felt uncomfortable with pure corporate sponsorship
-the techniques to increase his already existing ad revenue (no swearing, no guns, no politics, bla bla) Increasing CTR ( thumbnails, video ideas, titles) or viewer retention (subtitles, better formatting, higher production value, etc)
- how to utilize his media assets across more social media platforms and how to manage those from a single point (thus increasing reach and the total amount of content over different mediums, visual, audio, textual as well platforms)
EDIT: - also how to use platforms and other programs to promote his own profile and videos in a strategic way to increase both CTR and Retention.
2n EDIT: - how to fix his webpage to be something more like a landing page directed at brands since it's pretty garbage right now, just a white background with a picture of him and contact information.
-How we can more accurately track and collect data on his audience, partially so we can get better deals but also so he knows his audience more personally and know better how to serve them
-proper accounting for his company, set him up with an accountant that is a very niche man interested in "odd" small companies
-setting him up with a PR agent that I know if he wants that to manage that end

There is probably more I SHOULD be able to do with what I already know, and I'm sure once he says a problem and I have to figure out the solution I will eventually find that out - but for now these are the things I think I could get to work on right now provided he wanted it.

Last edited:

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
Ok, I've been investigating this area a little more in depth.

I'm a firm believer in looking at opportunities in this area. In the long run, it can save a lot of time. Yes, that sounds copy-cat. That sounds unoriginal. But, it can also save time and money.

Here is what I've learnt:

1) Most firms setup to cater for are BRAND side and not the INFLUENCER side.
2) Most seem to be offering an "end-to-end solution". See this video which demonstrates end-to-end process

Influencer Marketing Agency - Brilliant Noise
3) Some firms seem to like to boast about their network of influencers. So, this most be important for some clients.

Another doing end-to-end and actual production.

And some more:

Another agency talking about their "network of influencers"
Influencer Marketing Services - inBeat Agency

An end-to-end service + a NETWORK of influencers

Some seem to offer influencer marketing as just ONE PART of their service

One agency has decided to AUTOMATE the process of linking brands to influencers

A DIRECTORY of influencers.
Now this might explain why so many agencies offering an end-to-end approach

However, some operate on INFLUENCER side

I hope this inspires your thinking. Maybe your new venture should act as middle-man between brands and influencers. Maybe, you will have to offer an end--to-end service. Maybe, you will have to boast about having a huge network of influencers.

A lot to think about but as I've said an exercise like this can save an entrepreneur so much time and money - knowing what a business already in the market for 4 or 5 years is doing. Because they are doing is normally a good reflection on client requirements. Requirements that you'll need to meet to make your business a success!

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
Ok, I've been investigating this area a little more in depth.

I'm a firm believer in looking at opportunities in this area. In the long run, it can save a lot of time. Yes, that sounds copy-cat. That sounds unoriginal. But, it can also save time and money.

Here is what I've learnt:

1) Most firms setup to cater for are BRAND side and not the INFLUENCER side.
2) Most seem to be offering an "end-to-end solution". See this video which demonstrates end-to-end process

Influencer Marketing Agency - Brilliant Noise
3) Some firms seem to like to boast about their network of influencers. So, this most be important for some clients.

Another doing end-to-end and actual production.

And some more:

Another agency talking about their "network of influencers"
Influencer Marketing Services - inBeat Agency

An end-to-end service + a NETWORK of influencers

Some seem to offer influencer marketing as just ONE PART of their service

One agency has decided to AUTOMATE the process of linking brands to influencers

A DIRECTORY of influencers.
Now this might explain why so many agencies offering an end-to-end approach

However, some operate on INFLUENCER side

I hope this inspires your thinking. Maybe your new venture should act as middle-man between brands and influencers. Maybe, you will have to offer an end--to-end service. Maybe, you will have to boast about having a huge network of influencers.

A lot to think about but as I've said an exercise like this can save an entrepreneur so much time and money - knowing what a business already in the market for 4 or 5 years is doing. Because they are doing is normally a good reflection on client requirements. Requirements that you'll need to meet to make your business a success!
I like that there were fewer examples on the influencer side, since that might mean they haven't figured out what I have (or I 'm wrong) but:
I actually have checked out most of the ones you linked, and that's also why I figured my value came from those three attributes of 1/content production 2/audience building and 3/monetization of audience and content. But like I mentioned in the first post, because I figured it was best to focus on a single service to begin with, and then move on to offer the rest when I have that one fully worked out, I chose to focus on the monetization.

My start is nevertheless to reach out with financial solutions to existing micro influencers and simply "find out" what solutions are not obvious or available to them, with the hopes of coming up with a legacy value system to provide that on automatic.

My thinking is that I'm so fresh to this idea that I actually have very little idea whether these company provide good value for influencers or not, so simply copying their product but skewing some value attributes wasn't something doable right now. Instead if I just talk to and help the influencer on the smallest scale, I can figure out what they want.

I think also we can't forget that current influencers, which can be grown, are sources of value-vouchers, BUT want-to-be influencers are a dime a dozen and they all work other jobs to fuel their dream. If I could just sell that dream, and actually provide solutions which move them along to being influencers - and then manage to sign them over at that point and provide more record-label-type solutions. THAT is where I envision it going. But in the end the market will decide.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
I think also we can't forget that current influencers, which can be grown, are sources of value-vouchers, BUT want-to-be influencers are a dime a dozen and they all work other jobs to fuel their dream. If I could just sell that dream, and actually provide solutions which move them along to being influencers - and then manage to sign them over at that point and provide more record-label-type solutions. THAT is where I envision it going. But in the end the market will decide.

Of course!

There are already many online courses for sale trying to "sell the dream" to wannabe influencers. You could be like a rockstar manager but for influencers.

stefanlazar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 28, 2022
Romania
Hey! Just wanted to congratulate you and say that I think that this is a pretty good and smart idea! Definitely something that I wouldn't think of at first.

Good luck on your journey!

Rörik

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 26, 2022
Update:
I've been thinking I should change format to that of Envision's weekly-ish update system. So I'll create a new thread that is actually labeled execution.

As of today, my initial influencer has agreed to work together with me. I'm focusing on offering value in a single area to begin, and then building to offer more as we become closer.

He had some ideas that required money, as well as expressed the desire to gain more revenue via brand deals so he could go youtube full time. We talked about where I offered to help monetize and finance, and he was super interested.

That is to say, it went off without a hitch. He even thanked me at the end for reaching out to him. At the very least there is perceived value done, now just to do the work.

Out of all my prospects, he has the most potential to become something big. My research on record labels also says that you basically lose money on 9 out of 10 people you sign, so to start with a good one is definitely the best!
It's a game of tailends, where only the few generate lots of revenue and ultimately profit.

So my current plan is:
1/ Provide the value that has already been perceived and get the influencer some money via securing some brand deals, either through cold calling companies I think I have an interest or by going to influencer marketing agencies and seeing what they have already prepared.

2/I will reach out to people from the record label industry and try to find a mentor or two for my business, whom I am willing to offer 0.5-2% each of the business in the future. Not because they need it, but purely symbolic to show I will sacrifice a piece of mine for them and that they will be part of the business venture.

Stick to the one influencer for now until I have value which can be repeated, at which point I start figuring out how to manage 10 at once and aim for that. But that could be months to a year from now.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
Congratulations - that is great news!

Cold-calling is not a tactic that most influencers will use. However, it is my belief that it is still the most powerful form of marketing ever.

When when you mix cold-calling + selling the idea of influencers to companies - you could be on to a good thing!

Well done again - do keep us updated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...