The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

THIS Controls Your Life And You Don't Even Know It...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Mindset. Beliefs.

I don't mean just your regular inferential beliefs (ie. "If X, then Y" or "Icecream isn't tasty"). Those are visible.

I'm referring to those interpretive beliefs that remain invisible because they are integrated as part of your identity and they form your very framework of interpretation and judgment. Whether these beliefs are positive or negative, whether they push you forward or hold you back, you simply do not know.

That Top Performers Don't Necessarily Know Why They're Successful And Therefore Can't Teach You...

If asked, a top performer will give a reason for their success, which, most likely is a rationalization, not the truth. The belief-system driving his/her success likely remains invisible to them, just as it is invisible to you. This is necessarily so, unless they have spent significant time introspecting and studying themselves.

For example, Neil Rackham in SPIN Selling noticed that empirically, the reasons great salespeople gave for their success, weren't actually correlated with success when transferred over to other salespeople. Instead, it was more accurate to watch great salespeople and empirically determine what behaviors led to success that way.

That's also why you get situations of great practitioners not being able to train others to be great.

Take soccer.

A great soccer player is often a terrible coach: Diego Maradona, John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne, Gary Neville, or Alan Shearer. These guys were fantastic players, but terrible managers.

The opposite is also true... people who never played professional soccer (or weren't successful), but who are/were fantastic coaches/managers: Gerard Houllier, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Bill Struth, Arrigo Sacchi, Guy Roux, Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger.

That Mindset Is The Key To Success In Entrepreneurship Or Anything Else

That mindset and belief lies behind success is relatively evident. The decisions we make, the actions we take, and our perseverance are the cause of our successes (and failures). And these all emerge out of our belief systems - out of the way we think and process sense data (which we call "reality"). Where else could they emerge from?

Felix Dennis (whose success in entrepreneurship is unquestionable) states in How To Get Rich:

Truly. Do you believe in yourself? Do you? If you do not, and, worse still, if you believe you never can believe, then by all means go on reading this book. But take it from me, your only chance of getting rich will come from the lottery or inheritance. If you will not believe in yourself, then why should anyone else? Without self-belief nothing can be accomplished. With it, nothing is impossible. It is as brutal and as black and white as that. If you take no other memory from this book, then take that single thought. It was worth a damn sight more than the price you paid for it, I assure you

I am the type of person who is not satisfied merely to achieve something. I want to understand HOW I've achieved it. So I gradually take periods to introspect. Doing so has enabled me to figure out that my biggest successes came when I overcame one or more limiting beliefs. You should do the same, it's the beginning of identifying and correcting your limiting beliefs.

That Naive Realism Is Wrong: Mindset Is The Filter You Apply To "Reality"

Many people think that reality is just out there, and what we perceive is what objectively is out there. But this naive realism is deluded.

We do not come in contact with reality as blank slates. Information doesn't get delivered to consciousness as it exists out there... rather it is processed through belief-systems which are unconscious, and only then delivered to consciousness.

It's like this... sense-data gets processed by your invisible belief system and gets delivered to you as perception. If your perception sucks, you cannot change the external sense data, but you certainly can change your belief system, which will change your perception...

That Mindset Is Invisible, But Controls Your Life

We never "see" our mindset in action. Our perception is already processed through our mindset filter by the time we become conscious of it. We don't see how this gets done - the brain does it unconsciously.

So your results are the outcome of your mindset. And your mindset is invisible, largely unconscious. Therefore the cause of your results remains invisible to you. Identifying your limiting beliefs is the hardest work there is.

That You Can Change Your Mindset, And Therefore You Can Change Your Results

Not only must you identify your limiting beliefs, but you must replace them with positive beliefs. This is where reading books like The Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted or Awaken The Giant Within, etc. helps.

I've struggled and overcome several debilitating issues with anxiety, depression and OCD. I've told my story briefly in this thread. I mentioned briefly how mindfulness helped me slow down and calm down, and how I was greatly helped by a psychologist that I ended up working with before deciding to quit. What I did not mention was that while mindfulness helped to relax and improve one's feelings, it was the talking with the therapist that slowly uncovered and changed beliefs, even though I didn't realise it at the time.

Here's an invisible, framework belief I had:

"Feeling scared means being under threat"

What this belief meant was that every time I felt anxiety, I would interpret it as being under immediate threat, and this would cause a panic attack.

It was also one of my OCD triggers. I felt afraid that I may have forgotten to close the gas. So I would go and check it. It was closed. But I still felt afraid. So the next thought popped up: maybe you didn't check correctly, or you turned it on without realising. You must check again.

The belief listed above was nowhere in the actual contents of my thoughts, but it was the invisible driving force. I felt the need to "check it again" because the fear wasn't gone, and by default, my mind interpreted fear as being under threat. By changing that belief, my reaction to fear also changed, and I no longer had to "check it again", even if I felt fear for awhile longer.

More importantly, the belief listed above remained invisible to me. It was simply a filter that I applied to interpret the world, without even knowing it. And it was controlling my life.

Affirmations, CBT, MBSR, NLP, Stoicism - these are all ways of changing your mindset and beliefs. If you're struggling and you're in some dark place, don't lose hope. But study mindset. It's the best thing you can do. It certainly was for me, and still is. Just like for you, my next BIG BREAKTHROUGH will come from identifying another limiting belief and changing it.

Understanding the above has helped me get my priorities straight for the next year. I'm glad I've spent this time to reflect. So take your time during the New Year to THINK DEEPLY about your life, reflect on your mindset, and change it for the better. As much as you can. I'm just going to slowly go through Unscripted now, and I'm sure my next big insights will come from there.

So... are YOU going to think about your mindset? Are YOU going to try to uncover limiting beliefs and shift gears into the fastlane? Even if you're already successful... it's time for you to shift gears and reach the NEXT LEVEL. Or are you going to keep going the same old way and ignore your mindset even after reading this thread?

May we all shift gears into the FASTLANE in 2020 :)
More about mindset: Happiness and Freedom. Stoicism and Entrepreneurship, the Parallel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Amen , i'm not much for "rah rah" new age paych up bs (I read literally hundreds of self help books in my early twenties) but an analogy i've come to think illustrates the reality beautifully is...

You can have a master carpenter with ok tools or a total novice with the best tools. Who do you want working on your house?

The master. Every time.

So while pragmatic nuts & bolts piece of info is great (think cents or just a business model itself) the fact is someone with lots of internal roadblocks or shitty attitude or bad habits could take any homerun idea and screw it up , every time (hence the framework of "fastlane" vs "slowlane" for instance)

Gotta have your house in order.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Awesome! Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post it. I also believe that mindset is the key to success. We are told so many things that just are not so (because the people who told us believed them too) and we absorb these things into our belief system as truth then we stumble along not realizing that the misinformation is the source of our short comings.
For me one of the big ones that I have always questioned was, "Hard work equals success" the evidence does not really prove that to be correct. For example, Bill Gates worked hard but did Bill Gates work 1,100,000 times harder than the guy who makes $100,000.00 a year? Bill is worth $110B that's not humanly possible even if the guy who makes $100K/year were a lazy slob! So Bill knows something the guy who is only making $100K a year does not. Obviously it's not just hard work, I am sure Bill Gates worked hard but there are only 24 hours in his day too. We are lead to believe that hard work is the key. So many other factors are involved most of which are not known by the regular folks but there is always time to learn. Thanks

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Mindset. Beliefs.

I don't mean just your regular inferential beliefs (ie. "If X, then Y" or "Icecream isn't tasty"). Those are visible.

I'm referring to those interpretive beliefs that remain invisible because they are integrated as part of your identity and they form your very framework of interpretation and judgment. Whether these beliefs are positive or negative, whether they push you forward or hold you back, you simply do not know.

That Top Performers Don't Necessarily Know Why They're Successful And Therefore Can't Teach You...

If asked, a top performer will give a reason for their success, which, most likely is a rationalization, not the truth. The belief-system driving his/her success likely remains invisible to them, just as it is invisible to you. This is necessarily so, unless they have spent significant time introspecting and studying themselves.

For example, Neil Rackham in SPIN Selling noticed that empirically, the reasons great salespeople gave for their success, weren't actually correlated with success when transferred over to other salespeople. Instead, it was more accurate to watch great salespeople and empirically determine what behaviors led to success that way.

That's also why you get situations of great practitioners not being able to train others to be great.

Take soccer.

A great soccer player is often a terrible coach: Diego Maradona, John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne, Gary Neville, or Alan Shearer. These guys were fantastic players, but terrible managers.

The opposite is also true... people who never played professional soccer (or weren't successful), but who are/were fantastic coaches/managers: Gerard Houllier, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Bill Struth, Arrigo Sacchi, Guy Roux, Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger.

That mindset and belief lies behind success is relatively evident. The decisions we make, the actions we take, and our perseverance are the cause of our successes (and failures). And these all emerge out of our belief systems - out of the way we think and process sense data (which we call "reality"). Where else could they emerge from?

Felix Dennis (whose success in entrepreneurship is unquestionable) states in How To Get Rich:

Truly. Do you believe in yourself? Do you? If you do not, and, worse still, if you believe you never can believe, then by all means go on reading this book. But take it from me, your only chance of getting rich will come from the lottery or inheritance. If you will not believe in yourself, then why should anyone else? Without self-belief nothing can be accomplished. With it, nothing is impossible. It is as brutal and as black and white as that. If you take no other memory from this book, then take that single thought. It was worth a damn sight more than the price you paid for it, I assure you

I am the type of person who is not satisfied merely to achieve something. I want to understand HOW I've achieved it. So I gradually take periods to introspect. Doing so has enabled me to figure out that my biggest successes came when I overcame one or more limiting beliefs. You should do the same, it's the beginning of identifying and correcting your limiting beliefs.

Many people think that reality is just out there, and what we perceive is what objectively is out there. But this naive realism is deluded.

We do not come in contact with reality as blank slates. Information doesn't get delivered to consciousness as it exists out there... rather it is processed through belief-systems which are unconscious, and only then delivered to consciousness.

It's like this... sense-data gets processed by your invisible belief system and gets delivered to you as perception. If your perception sucks, you cannot change the external sense data, but you certainly can change your belief system, which will change your perception...

We never "see" our mindset in action. Our perception is already processed through our mindset filter by the time we become conscious of it. We don't see how this gets done - the brain does it unconsciously.

So your results are the outcome of your mindset. And your mindset is invisible, largely unconscious. Therefore the cause of your results remains invisible to you. Identifying your limiting beliefs is the hardest work there is.

Not only must you identify your limiting beliefs, but you must replace them with positive beliefs. This is where reading books like The Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted or Awaken The Giant Within, etc. helps.

I've struggled and overcome several debilitating issues with anxiety, depression and OCD. I've told my story briefly in this thread. I mentioned briefly how mindfulness helped me slow down and calm down, and how I was greatly helped by a psychologist that I ended up working with before deciding to quit. What I did not mention was that while mindfulness helped to relax and improve one's feelings, it was the talking with the therapist that slowly uncovered and changed beliefs, even though I didn't realise it at the time.

What this belief meant was that every time I felt anxiety, I would interpret it as being under immediate threat, and this would cause a panic attack.

It was also one of my OCD triggers. I felt afraid that I may have forgotten to close the gas. So I would go and check it. It was closed. But I still felt afraid. So the next thought popped up: maybe you didn't check correctly, or you turned it on without realising. You must check again.

The belief listed above was nowhere in the actual contents of my thoughts, but it was the invisible driving force. I felt the need to "check it again" because the fear wasn't gone, and by default, my mind interpreted fear as being under threat. By changing that belief, my reaction to fear also changed, and I no longer had to "check it again", even if I felt fear for awhile longer.

More importantly, the belief listed above remained invisible to me. It was simply a filter that I applied to interpret the world, without even knowing it. And it was controlling my life.

Affirmations, CBT, MBSR, NLP, Stoicism - these are all ways of changing your mindset and beliefs. If you're struggling and you're in some dark place, don't lose hope. But study mindset. It's the best thing you can do. It certainly was for me, and still is. Just like for you, my next BIG BREAKTHROUGH will come from identifying another limiting belief and changing it.

Understanding the above has helped me get my priorities straight for the next year. I'm glad I've spent this time to reflect. So take your time during the New Year to THINK DEEPLY about your life, reflect on your mindset, and change it for the better. As much as you can. I'm just going to slowly go through Unscripted now, and I'm sure my next big insights will come from there.

So... are YOU going to think about your mindset? Are YOU going to try to uncover limiting beliefs and shift gears into the fastlane? Even if you're already successful... it's time for you to shift gears and reach the NEXT LEVEL. Or are you going to keep going the same old way and ignore your mindset even after reading this thread?

More about mindset: Happiness and Freedom. Stoicism and Entrepreneurship, the Parallel.
Mindset is important. Totally agree. But I think it goes beyond positive thinking.

Hypercompetativenessz is the personality trait that drives a lot of successful people. Think of the Silver medalist who is obsessed of overtaking the first in the world..that’s typical-for sports. In the 80s there was a survey that more than half of the athletes would love to be world champion in exchange for having reduced their lifespan to only 5 years!

Another trait is persistence. A lot of successful people persevere not because they believed that they will achieve it but they believe that it is a worthwhile ordeal even if they do not. I think this separates from the “fragile mindset” in the self-help industry that you got to constantly “believe in yourself that you can do it”. The problem is that if you believe in that within one week reality will try to convince you ten times that why that is not the case. It is a fragile belief system that is out of syn of the harsh reality in most meaningful endeavors. I think process oriented belief system are more sustainable. Seek growth and not success and recognise that you are doing something so worthwhile for yourself or your family that you will fight till the last man standing. In this case when things get tough which they always will you do not lose momentum easily.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
Mindset. Beliefs.

Take soccer.

Great post!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
"Hard work equals success"
Yeah, this is a big one for many people, myself included. When you believe that hard work equals success, you stop prioritizing your time. Your focus is just on always working on something, regardless of what it is.

So you're draining your energy, without investing it in the few tasks that can actually get you to the next level.

I think we all have a relative or acquaintance who works very very hard. And yet they're still poor and struggling. I've known people who worked non-stop - including their weekends. And yet they weren't rich. And I've also known people who worked only a few hours a week. And they were rich.

So the level of success is not controlled by hard work. It's about SMART work.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Hypercompetativenessz is the personality trait that drives a lot of successful people. Think of the Silver medalist who is obsessed of overtaking the first in the world..that’s typical-for sports. In the 80s there was a survey that more than half of the athletes would love to be world champion in exchange for having reduced their lifespan to only 5 years!
And yet... even though more than half of the athletes would be willing to throw most of their life away to be world champion, most of them never are. That seems to indicate that hypercompetitiveness is not associated with success. Most hypercompetitive people don't make it to the top.

Hypercompetitiveness is harmful imo because it takes your eye off the ball. If you're always thinking about what the other person is doing, you're not thinking about what YOU can do to move forward.

When I played tennis, I noticed that very frequently, when I was most focused on beating the opponent I would lose. And when I didn't care about winning, but was focused on playing correct tennis, paying attention to the way I was hitting, to my strategy, and how I would implement it, I would win more often.

I think this translates to higher levels of performance too.

Another trait is persistence. A lot of successful people persevere not because they believed that they will achieve it but they believe that it is a worthwhile ordeal even if they do not. I think this separates from the “fragile mindset” in the self-help industry that you got to constantly “believe in yourself that you can do it”. The problem is that if you believe in that within one week reality will try to convince you ten times that why that is not the case. It is a fragile belief system that is out of syn of the harsh reality in most meaningful endeavors. I think process oriented belief system are more sustainable. Seek growth and not success and recognise that you are doing something so worthwhile for yourself or your family that you will fight till the last man standing. In this case when things get tough which they always will you do not lose momentum easily.
Yeah, this is so true :)

You must be optimistic in the long-run and pessimistic in the short-run. Why?

Because failure is part of success. If you don't treat failure as part of success, then every failure will demotivate you, until you quit. So expect failure in the short-run.

If you have a system that you follow, a system that stacks the probabilities in your favour, you know that it's just a matter of time before you win.

Sure, there is variance. You will not win every battle.

But you persevere and even if you fail, you are happy, because you recognize that failure as an integral part of your success.

You tried one marketing strategy and it didn't work. If you have the proper belief system, you will feel happy. You know what doesn't work, and you're a step closer to zooming in on what works.

If you have the wrong belief system, you will be depressed. You will start asking WHY didn't it work. Why is it happening to you? Without recognizing that this "failure" is actually part of the process that will lead you to success - to finding a marketing method that works.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Mindset. Beliefs.

Take soccer.

Ahah, the age-old questions as to why some succeed often and well... and some fall into their pity pots -- never to rise again. I agree that it takes a lot of mindset. Focusing on success counts in the equation. It also takes a relentless, can-do spirit.

I was flipping the TV around over the holiday. There was a show about people who hoard. The lady's teenage daughter was wading through all of the garbage to cook some eggs for her mother. I wanted to scream at the girl, "Can't you get out a trash bag and clean up that mess!" I know I would have had that kitchen cleaned up by the end of the day. And I would have found a way to dispose of the resulting trash bags and debris. I know I would have been relentless about cleaning in that situation. ( I know that because we sometimes must clean up after tenants. )

To me having a relentless spirit is a big part of the overall picture to creates success. It's not a choice. It's not a decision that you make with your brain -- like a goal. It's an inner drive that keeps you up at night. It keeps you going even when you're tired and close to your limits. My greatest fear is that I'll quit too soon and leave the prize on the table for someone else to find. If I must fail 99 times to achieve my result, what I quit at #89?????

And that spirit is tied to those inner voices, intuition, and urges. Everyone has those. I simply have chosen to listen to mine intently.

I see mindset as a decision of the conscious mind. I see one's basic spirit as a lifestyle of bake-in habits. Both are necessary to be part of the select few who break out of the pack.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.