The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thinking of attending a university business program? Think again.

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
I did two years at a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) program before dropping out. Long story short- I wasn't learning much, and I realized I didn't want to go into accounting or finance- which is the end-goal for most students in my program.

My main reasons behind going to business school were the following:

"Oh, I'll learn important business concepts I can apply directly to running my own technology business!"

"I'll meet smart business-minded people and find my co-founder!"

"I'll grow my business network which will prove to be valuable later on life!"

Boy, if only I could go back and tell myself how wrong this mentality was. I could do all of that WITHOUT attending a university business program. With the rise of hackathons and tech meetups, you could build a network faster than any typical university student.

Here's the thing. Business school doesn't teach you anything about how to run or start a business. It teaches you how to be the manager of a large corporation- a scenario which, quite frankly, you'll unlikely find yourself in for a long time. In other words, the material being taught in business administration/management programs are irrelevant if you're planning on going into startups/entrepreneurship full-time. Business school is, ultimately, designed to churn out accountants, financial analysts, and investment bankers.

I came to the stunning realization that I could pick up a couple of business books and learn far more than the courses I was taking in my business administration program.

So what am I doing now? I've been voraciously engaged in my self-designed education curriculum- which consists of studying the following topics:
  • Startup strategy & business development (for early-stage tech companies)
  • Sales & negotiation
  • Communication & public speaking
  • Marketing and customer acquisition
  • User experience design
  • UI and product design
  • Coding and programming (to become 'fluent' in technology) Note: At this point I don't intend on becoming a programming wizard/code monkey- but if I could at least study the 80% most important concepts in this area and speak 'tech' with developers- that's good enough for me)
  • Emotional intelligence / social psychology / consumer behaviour
I think these are far more important topics to learn if you're looking to go full-time into entrepreneurship or startups.

And of course- acquiring knowledge through reading and MOOCs doesn't equate to taking action. Therefore, I've also been working on an actual startup, and we're going into private beta very soon.

But wait- what about organizational behaviour? Human resources? Accounting/Finance? Statistics? Marketing management? Eh...

Let me know what you think. If you disagree with what I have to say- do assert yourself. I like being challenged and having other people point out my blindspots or wherever my thinking may go astray.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
My only concern now is that I won't be getting a degree.

No degree = no job.
No job = no income.

At some point, I believe entrepreneurs DO need some money coming in, otherwise they'll have a hard time supporting themselves.

For those of you building a startup and have no regular income, how are you guys coping?

ralphoi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 28, 2013
All the stuff you're self-learning is super important. But as you grow your business, you'll realize accounting and finance will be super useful as well. That said, you really don't need a university course to learn those skills either!

SeqSent from my iPhone using TapatalkqqqyAsasqqas

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
All the stuff you're self-learning is super important. But as you grow your business, you'll realize accounting and finance will be super useful as well. That said, you really don't need a university course to learn those skills either!

SeqSent from my iPhone using TapatalkqqqyAsasqqas

Haha, I knew somebody would point out something relating to accounting & finance. I don't mean to dismiss these topics entirely- I think it'd be useful to have a working knowledge of accounting for cash flow / budgeting / stock purposes and what not. But going to university solely for these skills would be the wrong move, unless you plan on becoming an accountant.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
If you honestly think:

"No degree = no job.
No job = no income.
"

Then you are hopelessly lost brother.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
"Hey Elon, don't go back to school. What happened to going to Mars? Besides you've already got two degrees" :/

"Yeah Ninjakid, but what if it takes too long to get to Mars? I need some income, and you can only get hired if you have a degree."

"Well, as you know, business degrees are for people who plan to get hired by a big business in a management position. Entrepreneurs don't really need them, but then again, knowing about business terms and stuff won't hurt. More knowledge is usually better than less."

"And come to think of it, my degrees didn't really play a big part in me starting my business. My physics degree helped a bit with building the rocket though."

"Exactly!"

"I'm going to stick to my mission to go to Mars, because that's really the most important thing for me right now. Besides, I'm Elon Musk. I don't need school. Bye earthlings."

*Sir Elon The Great gets into his spaceship and flies away.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
I'm currently at my 2nd year on one of the top30 Business schools, I can confirm, you won't learn anything that you wouldn't learn outside, doing it.

Don't go to school just for the sake of going to school, even if it's free, value your time wisely.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
You do write well and are obviously well spoken. Such a thing does not occur without being surrounded by other educated people. You should appreciate that the social nature of school has brought you this not-so subtle skill.

That's not to say you should commit to a 4 year degree, of course. I went to a coding bootcamp, and now I'm getting paid well to build web apps full time.

But the fact of the matter is: money talks. Those who drop out of school because their business is getting too big are quite a bit different story. Not everyone is Elon Musk guys.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
I am currently a first year marketing student. I go back and forth a lot about going to school and whether it is worth it. The way I see it right now is, even if a lot of the information I am learning is useless (pre-reqs) or I could learn them off the internet, it is not worth the risk to drop out if I do not have any current income. If at some point during college I did manage to create a steady stream of income with a startup, I would strongly consider dropping out since the only reason I would get a a degree would be so that I could get a job.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.