The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

They laughed when I told them I will become a millionare

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I am from Switzerland, it is probably different in the US. I talked to a few lawyers and there was a way, but it would have been complicated and set me back a few thousand more...

But anyway, it is now set up in the name of someone else and I will transfer it as soon as I am back in the country.

I am assuming you are talking about difficulty in setting up a Swiss company. I don't do those, nor would I recommend them to clients for various reasons.

I primarily deal with US LLC's and various offshore corporations like Seychelles, Belize, BVI, Nevis, etc. All of these are easy to set up remotely.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Where am I now?

I'm 22 and traveling the world while training martial arts. I was able to save mid 5 figures during my IT apprenticeship and my time as a sergeant in the army. I'm pretty much living my own dream, but I am aware that the money isn't going to last forever and I never want to go back into a boring, soul-destroying office job ever again.

Where do I want to go?

I want to keep traveling and training full time for now. I want to develop my business before my savings run out and generate enough income to support my lifestyle (I use currently around 1600$/month including the occasional flights).

I will become a multimillionaire before turning 30. If my current business works out, it is possible to make my first million before 25.

How do I get there?

I am working on a business that is going to sell a high price product (5-10k) to a farming-related customer base. There is currently no competition and from talking to a few people in the industry, there is a big need for it.

The product consists of a software and some hardware pieces. The software will be hosted on my server, I am thinking of making it a monthly subscriptions of 150$ to add some passive income.

I will advertise in an industry magazine that reaches 99% of my customers. My goal is to become the market leader and make the product the industry standard.

There are 2-300 possible customers in NZ and around the same number per state in Australia. After that I can expand internationally.

What am I currently working on?

I am writing the code for the software, which is a long process. I am also looking for a producer of the hardware in china. So far I found one company capable of doing it, but they only do business with companies that are able to give them orders for 500'000$/year. So I will keep looking...

I will talk to someone in the industry in a week and get some feedback on the current progress. I hope I will get some valuable feedback from him.

Roadblocks

I will have to get a loan to get the hardware produced before the launch. I was brought up to never get into any kind of debt so that is something completely new to me. I will try to minimize risk by only selling a small number of products on the launch and then buy more hardware from the earnings.

If someone has a better idea here, feel free to help out :)

Cheers
Pat

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

zipan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 14, 2011
I am a big believer in not having a plan b. It's easy to get lazy when you have an escape route.

I don't know, if there's a financial crisis like the one we had/have then your sales gonna drop dramatically all around the world. You gonna be broke in no time.
You must have more than one income source. If you have a job and only one income source and you're fired then you have BIG problems. It would be the same with your sales.
That's not a plan B, just a overall plan.

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I made a lot of progress today. I was only coding for a total of 3 hours, but I was 100% focused during that time. I achieved more today than I would have in a week as an employee...

I changed to code so it will be easier to change in the future. I also added a lot of comments, something I had mostly neglected. This is going to make updating so much easier in the future.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
It's a bit difficult to set up the Ltd liab Corp from outside the country. I will have to call a lawyer next week to see what's the best way of doing it.

Not true, I set up US domestic and various offshore companies for clients from around the world. I do this all from my virtual office. What is important is to set them up correctly in the proper jurisdiction for the right purpose.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
Pat ,

This Thread is amazing, please keep posting :)

I love the fact that you are going for your dreams, travelling and training. Managing the money and the time to pursuit all, its not easy but well worth it.

Im starting up a company right now also, and managing time and money, between the job, the mba and my projects its not easy so I can relate to that.

keep it coming :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Ha! Never saw this before because I havent fully read your thread (just the beginning), but youre doing something pretty similar to my business. Good to see that you have other things going on at the same time so we shouldnt clash too much ;)

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Got the first successful test run of the basic feature (a remote installation) of the blackhat software while running on a server and not local. Incredible how much things run different between two operating systems even if both use Apache. I will develop the rest live on the server to prevent those problems from coming up again.

Thanks to everyone writing in my thread by the way. Good to know I am not just talking to myself :)

marcospolaca

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 13, 2011
I'm 22 and traveling the world while training martial arts.

Oooh... did you get to meet Ryu and Chun Li? ;)

The product consists of a software and some hardware pieces. The software will be hosted on my server, I am thinking of making it a monthly subscriptions of 150$ to add some passive income.

I will advertise in an industry magazine that reaches 99% of my customers. My goal is to become the market leader and make the product the industry standard.

This sounds about right. Are you doing just the software launch to start with, or are you shooting for both hardware/software at the same time?

Will the software launch 'reveal' your hardware offering? As in, if you launch just the software, will others get the idea and be able to make your hardware product before you? If they're unrelated products, you may want to tier them and use your software sales to cover the downside of your hardware offering.

Do you have any other product/service lines other industries to supplement it when the market fluctuates?

I'm trying to get into world travel myself. (peru for starters) I'm curious about martial arts too... what type of martial arts are you into?

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
This sounds about right. Are you doing just the software launch to start with, or are you shooting for both hardware/software at the same time?

I will have to release them together. The hardware is just a barcode reader with a twist. It's part of the program -> they will be sold as one package

Do you have any other product/service lines other industries to supplement it when the market fluctuates?

No. When this one is done I will start another product and just update/support this one. Because I can sell international it shouldn't be too hard to make a few sales/month and then flip the business after some time. At least in my imagination :D

I'm trying to get into world travel myself. (peru for starters) I'm curious about martial arts too... what type of martial arts are you into?

I will have my first MMA fight this year. My back ground is kyokushin karate and bjj. Training twice a day at the moment :)

marcospolaca

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 13, 2011
Hmmm.... what if you work the MMA/world travel angle? Make a video blog or something. (heck, you could star in your own comic book) Obviously it wouldn't be a cash cow, but if you get a following it would present some options. Particularly if you don't target the MMA crowd specifically, and just make it like an adventure/human interest story. Maybe even find a good video editor and put together a documentary. (I would watch it)

Not that I don't think your farm/barcode thing wouldn't work, it sounds like it would work. Just thinking you should have a few other things on the backburner. Plus it's not just a matter of win/lose - you may do well, but if the market takes a dip and you're not prepared for it, it can be stressful.

.... and the more I think about it, a world travel/MMA documentary video would be really cool. Not just for money, but it would be fun to make.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Hmmm.... what if you work the MMA/world travel angle? Make a video blog or something. (heck, you could star in your own comic book) Obviously it wouldn't be a cash cow, but if you get a following it would present some options. Particularly if you don't target the MMA crowd specifically, and just make it like an adventure/human interest story. Maybe even find a good video editor and put together a documentary. (I would watch it)

Not that I don't think your farm/barcode thing wouldn't work, it sounds like it would work. Just thinking you should have a few other things on the backburner. Plus it's not just a matter of win/lose - you may do well, but if the market takes a dip and you're not prepared for it, it can be stressful.

.... and the more I think about it, a world travel/MMA documentary video would be really cool. Not just for money, but it would be fun to make.

There are a few people doing that already. I tried and started writing a blog, but it's hard to find time when you travel and train all the time. I decided to drop it and spend the time on my business instead.

I am a big believer in not having a plan b. It's easy to get lazy when you have an escape route.

I'm doing SEO work and website development for fun at the moment for the people I meet. Might actually turn that into a little business on the site and automate/outsource it in the future.

a1okac

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 22, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I like your ambition, good luck to you!

p.s. I used to train in BJJ, broke my shoulder then three months later my foot in 3 places, oops.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I don't know, if there's a financial crisis like the one we had/have then your sales gonna drop dramatically all around the world. You gonna be broke in no time.
You must have more than one income source. If you have a job and only one income source and you're fired then you have BIG problems. It would be the same with your sales.

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

I can always freelance if I have to. I'm pretty confident in my abilities to find something new if it fails though. But thanks for the input :)

I will acquire more income sources when I get there, but at the moment I have none. I think it's better to build one first and then the second instead of two at the same time. But that's just my opinion and for all I know I might be wrong. :smug2:

Thanks for the input though :)

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
After spending the morning with my code (implemented a new feature, almost done), I received an email from a chinese manufacturer that they can do it and will have a sample ready in a month.

After sending hundreds of emails without success this almost sounds a bit fishy. I'm not sure what to make out of it...

If it is gonna work out though, that will be a big milestone for my business.

zipan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 14, 2011
I think it's better to build one first and then the second instead of two at the same time.

Yes, that's true one step at the time!!

After sending hundreds of emails without success this almost sounds a bit fishy.
You'll see, you have nothing to lose!! I hope the best for you!!
Keep us updated!!

Now a little question off topic so answer short on it! :p
Have you a recommendation of a book/site/product to learn programming software?? That would help me a lot!! :p

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipaan

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Now a little question off topic so answer short on it! :p
Have you a recommendation of a book/site/product to learn programming software?? That would help me a lot!! :p

Well that really depends on what software.

I'm all about PHP and Oracle because I like doing web based things. I started with that tutorial and can only recommend it.

Just pick something you want to do and learn while you are trying to do it.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@Pat - Big claps for the execution and action!!

Just curious; would there be a way to get some pre-orders? Some folks that will definitely say I will buy this when it comes out and guarantee it with a small down payment?

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
@Pat - Big claps for the execution and action!!

Just curious; would there be a way to get some pre-orders? Some folks that will definitely say I will buy this when it comes out and guarantee it with a small down payment?

I was thinking about this.

It may also be a good way to do a proper product launch with preorders, that way I will know how many hardware units I have to order (and how much I have to go into debt...).

But I'm focusing on the program at the moment. But if anyone has any tips or ressources on product launches, I'm more than happy to hear.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I'm now in NZ. Had a quick talk to someone in the industry and it looks like the demand isn't as big as I expected.

This made me think. On one hand I don't want to stop this project because of the time I already put into it. Even if this is not a million dollar business, if I can make some money for a follow up project I'm more than happy.

I'm just not comfortable with going into debt for this anymore.

Maybe I could start advertising and see what the response is? And then just capture the contact details.

I'll do some more market research...

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I decided to launch without a product, I will setup a website and run one ad. Then instead of charging the credit card I will capture the contact details.

With the results of that I will be able to decide if I keep the project going or if I look for something else. It was stupid to start without proper market research. I learned a good lesson here.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
jhzWh.jpg

LOVE, Light & Peace
Zipan

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I had a long good talk with one of my uncles who is an entrepreneur himself.

I will setup a Gmbh soon, it is a business entity where I am not personally liable. I will have to put 20k into the business to be able to do this. I think it's worth it and it will allow me to operate more professional and selling the business will be a lot easier if I decide to do so.

This means I will run out of money for personal use in about a year. I decided to start website development and seo on the side via outsourcing. A lot of people ask me for websites and I usually did them for free or declined. This should cover my living costs, otherwise I could also do freelancing.

Splitting my money into business and personal is something I should have done earlier.

I will have to set up something to manage projects and finances. I will spend the next two weeks in New Zealand to set up everything properly. Then when I'm back in Australia I will start to set up a landing page for the product to test the waters before I continue writing code.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Got my contacts for outsourcing website design and seo.

Created a wordpress template to make it work like a proper CMS where clients can't screw anything up. It also allows me to upsell SEO right next to the website stats.

I got a good idea to get a lot of new customers via direct mail. But I have to do some research first because it might be used by competitors already.

Otherwise I can now start to get clients. I also got the advertising rates for my test and have to decide what kind of ad I will run. I will try to stay away from big expenses until the company is set up.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
It's a bit difficult to set up the Ltd liab Corp from outside the country. I will have to call a lawyer next week to see what's the best way of doing it.

Another business opportunity opened up where I could make good money over the next few years without much labor required. I've been thinking if it would be smart to learn about investing etc now or if it would be better to focus on making the money first and worry about the rest later...

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Was on the road the last few weeks.

Got a business name, logo and website design is outsourced. Got the domains and a local skype number. Working on streamlining the process so that I can reduce my work amount to a minimum and later outsource everything.

A soon as everything is set up properly I will start to run the market testing with the product and while that is running I got another idea that I will pursue in the meantime.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
It's a bit difficult to set up the Ltd liab Corp from outside the country.
Depends on where you set it up and how you what to start it. I just opened a new LLC last week (in Colorado), and it only required a quick visit to the Secretary of State's website. They still haven't sent me my tax ID#, and I haven't funded the LLC &etc, but that was the first step to getting it started.

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Depends on where you set it up and how you what to start it. I just opened a new LLC last week (in Colorado), and it only required a quick visit to the Secretary of State's website. They still haven't sent me my tax ID#, and I haven't funded the LLC &etc, but that was the first step to getting it started.

It's difficult in Switzerland. You have to be there as a person or it gets really complicated (visit embassy, translate documents etc). After talking to a few lawyers it seems the easiest option is to have someone do it for me in Switzerland and then that person can transfer the company to me.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
one thing about selling before finishing the build is that a bunch of indians can code something that works so-so, and chinese can build crappy hardware.

by the time you build a better product, they will have flooded the market and potential buyer will fear the product.

I'm curious as to what your hardware is, I deal with barcode tracking at my regular work and I don'T see how you can require anything custom on a barcode scanner... since they can be plugged RS-232, you can control everything on the scanner by software.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.