The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Willpower Paradox ... Interesting!

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
The Willpower Paradox: Scientific American

Interesting, posing motivation in the form of a question vs a commitment shows better results ... and here we all thought that exclaiming "I will" and "I can" was the way to go.

This makes sense, at least in my own experience. Whenever I try to hold myself to doing something in a very rigid way, "I will get this done!" type of mentality, I tend to last for a while and then give up at the first sign of real difficulty. This is because the self-doubts start to creep in the moment you are at your weakest and you end up caving in to them because you figure that you were not as strong as you previously thought.

On the other hand, if you approach it with a question like, "Will I get this done?" you start off with an explorer type of mentality, where you are seeing how far you can take it and you are surprised to find out that you can take it much further than you believed at the outset. The reason being that you are open minded about failure; you view it more as a learning experience, applying new strategies to solve the same problem rather than giving up after one attempt.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
This makes sense, at least in my own experience. Whenever I try to hold myself to doing something in a very rigid way, "I will get this done!" type of mentality, I tend to last for a while and then give up at the first sign of real difficulty. This is because the self-doubts start to creep in the moment you are at your weakest and you end up caving in to them because you figure that you were not as strong as you previously thought.

On the other hand, if you approach it with a question like, "Will I get this done?" you start off with an explorer type of mentality, where you are seeing how far you can take it and you are surprised to find out that you can take it much further than you believed at the outset. The reason being that you are open minded about failure; you view it more as a learning experience, applying new strategies to solve the same problem rather than giving up after one attempt.

Very true. Usually I have a lot of dedication at first, but then I end up giving up. Well, time for a new mindset!

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Very true. Usually I have a lot of dedication at first, but then I end up giving up. Well, time for a new mindset!

What helps me is knowing that there is a solution out there to every problem. I might not have the tools right now to solve it but if I seek the answers, I will probably find them, whereas if I give up I will never solve the problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Kiyosaki touched on something like this in RDPD. I don't recall the exact phrasing, but it was basically as soon as you say "I can't" you've stopped your creative thinking. Instead, when faced with a challenge, ask yourself "how can I?" Perhaps the "I will" is equally destructive to that process.

Also, saying to yourself "I will" gives you the excuse to put something off until a future time. I believe a more powerful way to phrase your inner thoughts would be "I am" or "I have" implying that, in your mind, you are already succeeding in your challenge.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Also, saying to yourself "I will" gives you the excuse to put something off until a future time.

I think you might be onto something there. At least, I know for a fact I've used it as a procrastination excuse. ... Then again, I would still be more inclined to get to it after procrastinating than had I never said "I will."

So I wonder what the actual reason for the questioning to work better than statements? Could it simply be that asking, leads to more reasons to get genuinely motivated, while stating forgoes reason beyond "This is what I committed to doing." ... The experiment doesn't really cover what would happen if someone had a list of reasons, then decided to choose "I will."

Hmm. You know, I actually thought the article concluded something else, but now I think I just got the wrong interpretation. Language is awesome that way.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Phantastik

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 26, 2010
I use the voice in my head as a motivator. I tell myself it will worth it, if i accomplish it. But sometime procrastination kicks in, but with article maybe I could see it in a different perspective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.