The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The turning point in your ebusiness

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used to run an affiliate business that relied on brute force scale (I had scripts that generated several million "store front" pages scattered across hundreds of domains) to generate clicks and purchases.

The tipping point came the day Google indexed the first site, which had links to other sites, which had links to other sites, etc. Essentially, my revenue went from $0 to tens of thousands of dollars per month.

The next tipping point came when Google realized that my pages added very little value and removed them from their index (went from tens of thousands of dollars per month to $0).

After several rounds of my changing my pages to avoid detection by Google and Google ultimately finding them and removing them, Google won when I got bored enough that the effort was no longer worth the money... :)

Thank you for describing "being a passenger in the fastlane" -- if you don't control the revenue stream, are you really the boss? Google makes a decision, and wholla, your royally screwed: Then you are the boss of nothing.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
I've had similar experiences in the affiliate marketing area. I was making a few thousand a month selling subscriptions to different P2P services, or download services, until Google banned my adwords account. Then I went right back to $0 per month. For some reason I couldn't get MSN or Yahoo PPC to make me any money.

Oh well, my next business will give me more control... I just wish I could come up with something I have confidence in, and could actually do. Oh well, I guess coming up with the first idea is probably the hardest part :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
After the 100th client, word of mouth spread like wild fire and created a huge surge in our web hosting business. Now we are offering a better affiliate program and getting client through that also.

Tom
www.aptohosting.com

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
I think there were two main turning points for my ebusiness.

The first was deciding to quit my day job to focus full time on the business. For several years I was working for someone else while trying to run and grow my business on the side. My business slowly grew until I was making slightly more from the business than from my day job. At this point I made the decision to quit the job and focus full-time on the business. It was a scary decision since I wasn't completely sure how sustainable the business revenue might be long-term. It turned out to be a great decision, because once I had more time and energy to focus on the business things really started to take off.

The second big turning point for me was learning to hire people and delegate tasks instead of trying to handle everything myself. For the first few years of running the business I was a one man show. I handled everything myself: accounting, web development, server administration, ... I reached a limit to how much I could do and our revenue stopped growing. We were still doing very well, but I was stretched to the limit, and was forced to pass on new opportunities due to lack of time. I eventually started hiring people to handle various aspects of the business. From a Rich Dad standpoint, I moved from the S quadrant into the B quadrant. After doing this our revenue skyrocketed again, more than making up for the cost of paying our employees and consultants.

Both of these turning points required that I take a significant risk. Quitting my day job took away my backup source of income, and hiring people to help run the business initially took a big chunk out of our profits, and thus my income. Looking back though, they were definitely the correct decisions.

Last edited:

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
I've had similar experiences in the affiliate marketing area. I was making a few thousand a month selling subscriptions to different P2P services, or download services, until Google banned my adwords account. Then I went right back to $0 per month. For some reason I couldn't get MSN or Yahoo PPC to make me any money.
Why did Google ban your adwords account?

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
They claim that I was using ads that had some sort of copyright infringement. As I said, I was an affiliate for music downloading programs. Apparently they're fine with ones like Napster and iTunes, but the p2p ones they're not so fond of.... my ads were never misleading, but they still decided to ban me.

Like MJ said though, if you don't control the revenue stream, you're not really the boss. The next time I go into business, I'm going to be selling the product, and having my own affiliates; not being one! It was a lesson well learned.... I just wish I could have made some more money before I got banned, lol.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Off topic a bit, but since you guys seem to have experience with adwords. Where would be a good place online that I could build my knowledge of the subject more? I worked through the actual google learning center. Now looking to further my knowledge in Adwords! Thanks guys....

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Off topic a bit, but since you guys seem to have experience with adwords. Where would be a good place online that I could build my knowledge of the subject more? I worked through the actual google learning center. Now looking to further my knowledge in Adwords! Thanks guys....

Webmasterworld.com (another forum)
Sitepoint.com (has a forum too)

For ones who have been successful with online businesses or sites was there a tipping point?

Things started to move quickly for me when I started accepting credit cards; back in the late 90's, it was pretty difficult to get a merchant account.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007

In all honesty, if you want to know anything about adwords, feel free to send me a PM (anyone who wants to know). I have used it in many different campaigns, and many competitive searches, etc. and I feel I have a very good grasp on it all (I've also read around 10 ebooks on the subject). And, since I can't use any of my knowledge anymore, someone might as well use it...

Or make a post with specific questions, I'm sure I'll find it :)

I couldn't say exactly what ebooks I read that helped with adwords though... it was always a section or two in a book, but not usually the whole thing. And a lot of it comes down to your plan, and what you're comfortable doing... as well as some common sense.

Actually, check youtube or google video for videos on adwords, I think there are some decent ones on there.

Best of luck to you!:thumbsup:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Thank you for describing "being a passenger in the fastlane" -- if you don't control the revenue stream, are you really the boss? Google makes a decision, and wholla, your royally screwed: Then you are the boss of nothing.

Yep, I've had the same problem with Ebay and Amazon removing some of my listings from time to time. I could go from making thousands to a few hundred bucks in a month, and it's all at the mercy of those 2 companies. I finally got fed up, and decided to build an external storefront, so I could not worry about their censors anymore.

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.