The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Sunscreen Song

Anything related to matters of the mind

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
This is an old one, but I love reading the lyrics on a regular basis. The words never fail to strike a chord with me!

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Good post.

You struck a cord on me w/ this one, 8-Snake.

While not something I often admit to many people, I am a very emotional person. Yes, I am that guy that occassionally sheds tears watching a movie w/ my girlfriend, or watching Grey's Anatomy for that matter.

As I have matured (read: aged at a rate that I am less than pleased with) I have come to find parts of my past entrenched in the everyday things I see and hear around me. Music is a big one for me. Oddly, I find old re-runs of America's Funniest Home Videos to have a similar effect.

Often times, these things serve as reminders to me of who I used to be, how innocent and care-free I once was.

And how I have done things in my life that I am not proud of. How I have hurt people - some of them the closest people who ever have been or will be in my life.

Songs like this one take me on a roller coaster ride through my emotions. I remember the great memories of my past, but am also reminded of the opportunities lost. I think of all the great things I have done, but then recognize that I have done much harm, as well.

What is magical about songs like this one is that the rythym and the lyrics usually allow for an escape in the end. You look back on life, you look forward to the future. Regret some, pat yourself on the back others.

In the end, life is just a journey. The beginning and the end are not the exciting parts. It is living that matters. Who you affect along the way, and how you treat them. How you handle yourself no matter how difficult a situation may seem.

We will all fail in our lives at one time or another. Getting up, and what we do once we're back on our feet, that's what matters.

Andy

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
There's a hilarious German version done by a comedian who can perfectly imitate the voice of the previous German Chancellor, Gerhard Schroeder. I'll try to find it and post a translation.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Love the song.

Played it nonstop w/my best friend (known him since we were born) when we did a cross country road trip back in 2000.

Here's the video:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ]YouTube - Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen! (ORIGINAL VERSION)[/ame]

-Russ H.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I just got three quarters through the translation of the German comedy version, and realised it's probably not clean enough to be in here, so I'll leave you with this:

Google "FKK - Die Gerd Show". FKK is the song's name (refers to nudism in German, but the whole song's not just about that) and Die Gerd Show is the name of the album (I think).

It's hilarious!

Daniel.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Just wanted to make sure the original writer of this essay, Mary Schmich, got credit. It was first called "Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young." Most of us remember it, because it was sampled in "Baz Luhrmann Presents: Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen): The Sunscreen Song (Class of '99)." Just FYI.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.