The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Start of my Fastlane Journey

Sophiie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 2, 2022
Hi, fellow humans on their true life journey!,

I had always been depressed for my own, let's call it programming because it basically is, from my parents and certain situations I found myself in throughout my life.

During the pandemic, I had a spiritual awakening and started seeing myself for who I really was, all my faults and shadows, as well as how the world we live in works. Ever since, I've been working on myself, healing my traumas, making meditation a daily practice (IT'S GREAT), exercising,... my mindset and my beliefs have changed so much I sometimes can't believe how far I've come and how hard it's been, though I know there is still much work left to do.

This year I'm going into my second year in university studying biomedical sciences. It is not something I want to do in the future, and I don't know what can I do with it to stand out. Anyways, beacuse I felt I didn't wanna be stuck like the rest of us, especially because I knew it's not something I incredibly enjoy, I started researching about money and came across the stock market. I started researching about the stock market, as I had heard that's what the rich do to get rich–I thought buying stocks was their financial plan and not part of their financial plan.

So while I was researching how to invest in stocks, I started realising something was wrong. It just didn't resonate with me. Living frugal and saving your money, hoping the stock market would be good for me to take out my money 40 years later (and not even that much money), and also gambling on my health. How could I be so sure I'd be alive until then? And if I was, I would've thrown away my youth and not enjoyed it just to "live" when I'm old. It just didn't make sense to me. I didn't even have enough money to start investing in the first place.

So this is when it hit me, this wasn't a good plan and I was feeling rather stuck. That is, until I suddenly decided to read the Millionaire Fastlane by MJ which was recommended in one of the videos about investing that I watched.

Like a miracle, my answer came to me. I read the book and my perspective once again was widened. Now I know what it takes to be truly rich (that is wealth-wise). In my trinity, my relationship vertice isn't very strong.

Now, I've decided I'm going to learn coding and Web designing, as I have an idea to create an app/website. I think it is a good idea as there's high demand for the topic. Speaking of which, does anyone know a decent platform or whatever to learn coding?

My other defining decision would be... quitting uni. I'm wondering if I should dropout? Or keep going until I'm better with coding and have something to show for my idea/s. Or maybe wait and try to figure out how to leverage my degree... Should I get a job and invest what I earn in myself and in what I want to create? My advantage is I live with my parents and they support me with living costs, though I don't wanna keep doing that as they are tired and want to stop working soon.

I feel like I have too many options and I've got to focus on one only, but it's hard to decide now as I know virtually nothing about how to create a business.

Thank you if you read this far! Any advice you have for me is truly appreciated.

Sophie

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
Hey Sophie!

Let me give you some advice on your questions based on my own experience.

When it comes to coding, start with some courses on Udemy, there are free tutorials on YouTube as well. As soon as you know the basis start building! Either your solutions to people's problems or by taking freelance jobs, for example. That's the fastest way for you to learn what "real" coding looks like. In my case, I used courses from Udemy and after a few months, I applied for jobs. Got one in a software house where I learned a ton in a short period of time (not only about coding but tech businesses in general).

Regarding your college - I can't say whether you should drop it or not. However, I can tell you my story. I made it to one of the best universities in my country when it comes to computer science. Why? Only because my family pushed me to do so. Learning the way schools/universities want us to learn has never felt natural to me and attending university just made it very clear. I quit that shitshow after a year and told myself I will do it on my own. The result? My peers graduated a few years later with a fancy degrees and were ready for an entry-level jobs. Guess who hired a few of them? Me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against colleges at all. I think it highly depends on the person. For some people, it works perfectly, for others it doesn't. Biomedical science sounds like something where you can make a lot of money by creating value but you said yourself it's not something you want to do so why bother?

Sophiie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 2, 2022
Hey Sophie!

Let me give you some advice on your questions based on my own experience.

When it comes to coding, start with some courses on Udemy, there are free tutorials on YouTube as well. As soon as you know the basis start building! Either your solutions to people's problems or by taking freelance jobs, for example. That's the fastest way for you to learn what "real" coding looks like. In my case, I used courses from Udemy and after a few months, I applied for jobs. Got one in a software house where I learned a ton in a short period of time (not only about coding but tech businesses in general).

Regarding your college - I can't say whether you should drop it or not. However, I can tell you my story. I made it to one of the best universities in my country when it comes to computer science. Why? Only because my family pushed me to do so. Learning the way schools/universities want us to learn has never felt natural to me and attending university just made it very clear. I quit that shitshow after a year and told myself I will do it on my own. The result? My peers graduated a few years later with a fancy degrees and were ready for an entry-level jobs. Guess who hired a few of them? Me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against colleges at all. I think it highly depends on the person. For some people, it works perfectly, for others it doesn't. Biomedical science sounds like something where you can make a lot of money by creating value but you said yourself it's not something you want to do so why bother?
Hi Burton!
Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing some of your story. It definitely helps.
As for university, this year I will decide whether to drop it or not. Either way, I'll keep learning and struggling with coding and hopefully my Fastlane road will find me or I'll find it.
Have an amazing day!

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
Hi, fellow humans on their true life journey!,

I had always been depressed for my own, let's call it programming because it basically is, from my parents and certain situations I found myself in throughout my life.

During the pandemic, I had a spiritual awakening and started seeing myself for who I really was, all my faults and shadows, as well as how the world we live in works. Ever since, I've been working on myself, healing my traumas, making meditation a daily practice (IT'S GREAT), exercising,... my mindset and my beliefs have changed so much I sometimes can't believe how far I've come and how hard it's been, though I know there is still much work left to do.

This year I'm going into my second year in university studying biomedical sciences. It is not something I want to do in the future, and I don't know what can I do with it to stand out. Anyways, beacuse I felt I didn't wanna be stuck like the rest of us, especially because I knew it's not something I incredibly enjoy, I started researching about money and came across the stock market. I started researching about the stock market, as I had heard that's what the rich do to get rich–I thought buying stocks was their financial plan and not part of their financial plan.

So while I was researching how to invest in stocks, I started realising something was wrong. It just didn't resonate with me. Living frugal and saving your money, hoping the stock market would be good for me to take out my money 40 years later (and not even that much money), and also gambling on my health. How could I be so sure I'd be alive until then? And if I was, I would've thrown away my youth and not enjoyed it just to "live" when I'm old. It just didn't make sense to me. I didn't even have enough money to start investing in the first place.

So this is when it hit me, this wasn't a good plan and I was feeling rather stuck. That is, until I suddenly decided to read the Millionaire Fastlane by MJ which was recommended in one of the videos about investing that I watched.

Like a miracle, my answer came to me. I read the book and my perspective once again was widened. Now I know what it takes to be truly rich (that is wealth-wise). In my trinity, my relationship vertice isn't very strong.

Now, I've decided I'm going to learn coding and Web designing, as I have an idea to create an app/website. I think it is a good idea as there's high demand for the topic. Speaking of which, does anyone know a decent platform or whatever to learn coding?

My other defining decision would be... quitting uni. I'm wondering if I should dropout? Or keep going until I'm better with coding and have something to show for my idea/s. Or maybe wait and try to figure out how to leverage my degree... Should I get a job and invest what I earn in myself and in what I want to create? My advantage is I live with my parents and they support me with living costs, though I don't wanna keep doing that as they are tired and want to stop working soon.

I feel like I have too many options and I've got to focus on one only, but it's hard to decide now as I know virtually nothing about how to create a business.

Thank you if you read this far! Any advice you have for me is truly appreciated.

Sophie
Hey!

I'll tell you a bit about my slow slow slow lane experience, to be honest I was almost on the sidewalk :)

I finished school in 2009 with a degree in business. I couldn't get a job in "management" because of course I didn't have any experience due to my fast paced irresponsible life. I didn't actually get into a role using my degree until 2016. I then did the slow lane and payed everything off finally using concepts from "dave". I think it's super cool you've run into these concepts right now (I just did too in 2022)

If I had a rewind button I think I would have done 1 of 2 things (or maybe both)

1. Used school to massively network, not party (that's what rich kids do) - used this network to start a business or find my slow lane job right away - thus saving a nest egg for more Fastlane activities
2. Not taken business, and taken something with some skilled requirements, like coding, or a trade, or something similar and used that to increase my right out the gate intrinsic value. Management skill, as it turns out, is learned in real life and from books, not so much in class

Hope this helps a little :)

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
Hi Burton!
Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing some of your story. It definitely helps.
As for university, this year I will decide whether to drop it or not. Either way, I'll keep learning and struggling with coding and hopefully my Fastlane road will find me or I'll find it.
Have an amazing day!
Let me know if you have any more specific questions when it comes to coding or you face something that blocks you. I will do my best to help.

Sophiie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 2, 2022
Hey!

I'll tell you a bit about my slow slow slow lane experience, to be honest I was almost on the sidewalk :)

I finished school in 2009 with a degree in business. I couldn't get a job in "management" because of course I didn't have any experience due to my fast paced irresponsible life. I didn't actually get into a role using my degree until 2016. I then did the slow lane and payed everything off finally using concepts from "dave". I think it's super cool you've run into these concepts right now (I just did too in 2022)

If I had a rewind button I think I would have done 1 of 2 things (or maybe both)

1. Used school to massively network, not party (that's what rich kids do) - used this network to start a business or find my slow lane job right away - thus saving a nest egg for more Fastlane activities
2. Not taken business, and taken something with some skilled requirements, like coding, or a trade, or something similar and used that to increase my right out the gate intrinsic value. Management skill, as it turns out, is learned in real life and from books, not so much in class

Hope this helps a little :)
Thank you so much for your reply! About networking, how exactly do you go about that?
And yes, as I have free time now I am taking the time to learn coding and more about business and marketing.

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
Thank you so much for your reply! About networking, how exactly do you go about that?
And yes, as I have free time now I am taking the time to learn coding and more about business and marketing.
It's actually super easy and I wish I had known that years ago. Go find people and talk to them. Genuinely care about what they are into, then after they've told you about themselves it will naturally come to what you do, you then can tell them what exactly you want to do and what your still looking for.

You can just go around and do that randomly, but ideally you start to find people involved in the stuff you'd like to be involved in because you'll be in the best position to help them and they help you

Jimbo123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 30, 2022
I may get slated here especially as there are more knowledgeable people on the board but I was under the impression that coding is setting yourself up for the slowlane. It takes thousands of hours to master coding. Coding won't get sales, the app gets sales. Design the app, pay a coder or use an app building service, then learn to write copy which gets sales for the app. Code from scratch is stressful and time consuming. Copywriting is quicker to learn and if nothing else you could go freelance as a copywriter. Hire a coder, make sales, profit. Explore all options here.

Sophiie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 2, 2022
I may get slated here especially as there are more knowledgeable people on the board but I was under the impression that coding is setting yourself up for the slowlane. It takes thousands of hours to master coding. Coding won't get sales, the app gets sales. Design the app, pay a coder or use an app building service, then learn to write copy which gets sales for the app. Code from scratch is stressful and time consuming. Copywriting is quicker to learn and if nothing else you could go freelance as a copywriter. Hire a coder, make sales, profit. Explore all options here.
Hi!
Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I'll definitely take what you said into account, and you're right, coding is definitely not easy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...