The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is the Law of Attraction real or is it BS?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I've been using visualization in my own life ever since I've seen a video on Conor McGregor talking about how his success was due to law of attraction but what does the fastlane forum think about it?

Is it bs or does it work? How far can it actually help you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you think about it, the Law of Attraction is nothing more or less than attuning yourself to the knowledge and activities and opportunities you've consciously decided are important and behaving in such a way to prioritize them.

It makes total sense that the more you pay attention and behave in the manners that are important to success - you'll be more successful.

There's even a name for this - The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

You know how I increased the number of red Toyota Rav4's on the road by a factor of 100? I bought one. Turns out almost every damn car on the road is a red Rav4 now (or at least, that's my perception of the situation thanks to this cognitive bias). That's the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Now consider that instead of red Rav4's.... you suddenly decide to pay attention to opportunity. Success. E-commerce. Problems that need solving. Happiness. Etc... what do you think will happen? You'll start seeing a LOT more of it everywhere.

It's not magic - it's pure psychology and logic :)

Vermilion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 21, 2018
Somewhere
Damn i was thinking to make a post about LOA and I just saw this. Looks like LOA works. The thing about LOA is you need to be in vibration and match your feelings with your thoughts/wishes/dreams. And of course the most important step is to take action. Take lectures of Neville Goddard u will understand the whole concept then. As of Mcgregor thing watch his movie that recently got out, its called Conor McGregor: Notorious, he explains how he used LOA to achieve his success there. Hope I helped.

Musashi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Nov 27, 2017
The World
It helps if you put in the work. Mcgregor did not achieve his success by visualizing his dream while eating potato chips on the couch. First and foremost he worked hard every single day for his success. And he used the law of attraction.

I see it as a bonus-tool that might help to achieve certain goals. The fundament of success, however, is discipline and hard work - and will always be.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I've been using visualization in my own life ever since I've seen a video on Conor McGregor talking about how his success was due to law of attraction but what does the fastlane forum think about it?

Is it bs or does it work? How far can it actually help you?

Its bs that its some woowoo magic , google the term "psychological priming" .

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I believe it works. I also believe "Law of Attraction" is just fancy guru psychobabble for a simple concept...stay focused on your goals and take consistent positive action towards reaching them. I think the old timers called it determination.

Fortune5ive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 24, 2017
New Jersey
Yes. It’s very real. It’s not magic, witchcraft or otherwise. It’s energy. Ever been around negative people, nothing goes their way. Drama! Positive thinking people do better in spite of setbacks. Affirmations and visualizations work. Athletes and high performing people do it all the time.

• Banned

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
If you think about it, the Law of Attraction is nothing more or less than attuning yourself to the knowledge and activities and opportunities you've consciously decided are important and behaving in such a way to prioritize them.

It makes total sense that the more you pay attention and behave in the manners that are important to success - you'll be more successful.

There's even a name for this - The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

You know how I increased the number of red Toyota Rav4's on the road by a factor of 100? I bought one. Turns out almost every damn car on the road is a red Rav4 now (or at least, that's my perception of the situation thanks to this cognitive bias). That's the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Now consider that instead of red Rav4's.... you suddenly decide to pay attention to opportunity. Success. E-commerce. Problems that need solving. Happiness. Etc... what do you think will happen? You'll start seeing a LOT more of it everywhere.

It's not magic - it's pure psychology and logic :)
There are some who believe reality alters itself based on your intention to bring you convenient coincidences

Like @Vermilion who just said he wanted to make a thread on this topic and explained to himself that it was LOA at work.

I assume you're of the opinion he merely noticed the thread because he was tuned into the topic and had an easier time noticing it rather than the universe attracting it into his life.

It helps if you put in the work. Mcgregor did not achieve his success by visualizing his dream while eating potato chips on the couch. First and foremost he worked hard every single day for his success. And he used the law of attraction.

I see it as a bonus-tool that might help to achieve certain goals. The fundament of success, however, is discipline and hard work - and will always be.
That is true, I agree.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
The laws and rules of physics, probability, and reality do not bend according to your thoughts.

If you believe they do, you are simply looking for a magical, painless shortcut.

As others have said, however, you can prime your brain to be more positive, effective, and to notice more opportunities.

Visualization is a tool. A very powerful one. Professional athletes use it all the time. Successful entrepreneurs cite it as a very handy weapon in their arsenal.

But, simply put, there is no magical Law of Attraction where if you visualize yourself "driving in a red lambo, feeling your hand gripping the steering wheel as you race down the road, the sense of power and strength overwhelming you..." you'll get it.

That same exercise can be useful to center yourself. To motivate yourself. To help you put in the work. But it doesn't force reality to create a series of events culminating with you receiving whatever it is you visualize.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The laws and rules of physics, probability, and reality do not bend according to your thoughts.

If you believe they do, you are simply looking for a magical, painless shortcut.

As others have said, however, you can prime your brain to be more positive, effective, and to notice more opportunities.

Visualization is a tool. A very powerful one. Professional athletes use it all the time. Successful entrepreneurs cite it as a very handy weapon in their arsenal.

But, simply put, there is no magical Law of Attraction where if you visualize yourself "driving in a red lambo, feeling your hand gripping the steering wheel as you race down the road, the sense of power and strength overwhelming you..." you'll get it.

That same exercise can be useful to center yourself. To motivate yourself. To help you put in the work. But it doesn't force reality to create a series of events culminating with you receiving whatever it is you visualize.

it-is-not-the-spoon-that-bends-it-is-only-yourself.jpg

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016

I can find many examples of people who swear by it having gotten exactly the house they envisioned or their dream car, what do you make of those people?

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I can find many examples of people who swear by it having gotten exactly the house they envisioned or their dream car, what do you make of those people?

Just as I said. They used visualization in pursuit of their goals. They achieved what they wanted (their dream home or car). Then they attribute their success to the Law of Attraction.

Reality didn't bend. Probability didn't step out of the way.

Also, Survivorship Bias.

What about the people who believe so earnestly in the Law of Attraction and still don't get what they want?

I'm not dismissing visualization, positive thinking, or anything like that. Nor am I dismissing that the way you think changes how you see the world.

TommyZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
One thing you can say definitely say about the "Law of Attraction" is that it is very polarising.
There are believers and non believers and very little middle ground.
Their will be a group of people with proof that it works
And another group of people with proof that it doesn't

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I assume you're of the opinion he merely noticed the thread because he was tuned into the topic and had an easier time noticing it rather than the universe attracting it into his life.

I do not believe in magic.

I believe in science, facts, logic and proof.

If you put a person in a room and say his life depends on someone bringing him a teddy bear holding a banana - no amount of thinking really hard about it is going to produce a teddy bear holding a banana.

Put that person out in the world though and tell them you'll give him a million dollars if he runs across one - you better believe he's going to be on the lookout and I have no doubt he'd find one in short order. Not because of magic. But because he was paying very close attention both consciously and unconsciously. He primed his mind to put vast amounts of importance on that item and you better believe he'll see it out of the corner of his eye 100 meters away at a small shop in a crowded market.

So no - I don't believe in magic.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
I believe it inadvertently works. All you're really doing is creating a belief in your subconscious that seeps into every decision you make.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Just as I said. They used visualization in pursuit of their goals. They achieved what they wanted (their dream home or car). Then they attribute their success to the Law of Attraction.

Reality didn't bend. Probability didn't step out of the way.

Also, Survivorship Bias.

What about the people who believe so earnestly in the Law of Attraction and still don't get what they want?

I'm not dismissing visualization, positive thinking, or anything like that. Nor am I dismissing that the way you think changes how you see the world.
So do you think they are giving credit to the wrong thing? That instead of giving credit to themselves or the actions they took they say the LOA did it for them?

I suppose that makes sense, it's not very different from people who've gone through a near-death experience and say they met god while another describes something else entirely.

At the end of the day, anecdotes can't really be proven as to whether the story shared is accurate.

One thing you can say definitely say about the "Law of Attraction" is that it is very polarising.
There are believers and non believers and very little middle ground.
Their will be a group of people with proof that it works
And another group of people with proof that it doesn't
My thing is, I want to be rich. If it's real I want to use it to the fullest extent possible, if it's not I want to drop it and not think about it anymore.

But I haven't yet found a strong enough reason to dismiss it. That's probably because there are some truth and lies mixed up.

I do not believe in magic.

I believe in science, facts, logic and proof.

If you put a person in a room and say his life depends on someone bringing him a teddy bear holding a banana - no amount of thinking really hard about it is going to produce a teddy bear holding a banana.

Put that person out in the world though and tell them you'll give him a million dollars if he runs across one - you better believe he's going to be on the lookout and I have no doubt he'd find one in short order. Not because of magic. But because he was paying very close attention both consciously and unconsciously. He primed his mind to put vast amounts of importance on that item and you better believe he'll see it out of the corner of his eye 100 meters away at a small shop in a crowded market.

So no - I don't believe in magic.
What if it's not magic but simply a phenomena unexplained with today's science?

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
(Apparently) there was this study done on lucky people. What they found was during statistical testing say flipping a coin there was no difference between lucky and unlucky people.

But
. As it turned out in the study, the people who considered themselves lucky were more likely to notice an opportunity presenting itself in their life and were more likely to say yes to it/take it.

Whereas the people who considered themselves unlucky generally said (when asked about making those decisions at the time) they'd "do it once I've got to X". "Now's not the right time". etc.

Law of attraction is just putting you in the mindset of actually looking for something you're interested in to present itself. Imo.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is the law of attraction real or is it bs?

Yes, it works when applied correctly as a tool in the toolbox to help visualize a target, a goal, and a destination.

No, it doesn't work when applied by a bunch of lazy people who do nothing but think and dream.

So do you think they are giving credit to the wrong thing? That instead of giving credit to themselves or the actions they took they say the LOA did it for them?

Yes.

My thing is, I want to be rich. If it's real I want to use it to the fullest extent possible, if it's not I want to drop it and not think about it anymore.

Making it a huge goal (and hence visualizing it always) should compel you to continually take action toward that goal. Those actions could be reading, looking for opportunity, starting businesses... bottomline, the thinking and visualization opens you up to opportunity and action.

(Apparently) there was this study done on lucky people. What they found was during statistical testing say flipping a coin there was no difference between lucky and unlucky people.

I did this test live in person at the Summit. Generally speaking, I'm a lucky guy.

But at the Summit, I was unlucky.

At the end of the day, there is no luck, only probability.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016

But
. As it turned out in the study, the people who considered themselves lucky were more likely to notice an opportunity presenting itself in their life and were more likely to say yes to it/take it.

Whereas the people who considered themselves unlucky generally said (when asked about making those decisions at the time) they'd "do it once I've got to X". "Now's not the right time". etc.

Law of attraction is just putting you in the mindset of actually looking for something you're interested in to present itself. Imo.
That's a fascinating study and I admit, although I consider myself lucky(Ayanle actually means luck or lucky one), I have previously said "When I have X I'll do Y".

So you agree with @JAJT.

Do you know where I can find that study?

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Yes, it works when applied correctly as a tool in the toolbox to help visualize a target, a goal, and a destination.

No, it doesn't work when applied by a bunch of lazy people who do nothing but think and dream.

Yes.

Making it a huge goal (and hence visualizing it always) should compel you to continually take action toward that goal. Those actions could be reading, looking for opportunity, starting businesses... bottomline, the thinking and visualization opens you up to opportunity and action.

I did this test live in person at the Summit. Generally speaking, I'm a lucky guy.

But at the Summit, I was unlucky.

At the end of the day, there is no luck, only probability.
Wow, I guess it's true that the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

I especially like what you said about making it a huge goal to compel me to take action because even if I don't have it yet I somehow made the goal look almost normal to me which is not good for motivation.

Thank you for your reply.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.