The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Race To Escape The TARP (JPM, AXP, MS, GS, C, BAC)

Anything related to investing, including crypto

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 28, 2008
Orchard Park, New York
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM) and some of its peers want out of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) in the worst way. Like a parent dropping an only child off at college for the freshman year, the Federal Reserve is apparently equally reluctant to let go.

The Race To Escape The TARP (JPM, AXP, MS, GS, C, BAC)  |  June 09, 2009  | By Billy Fisher - Investopedia Advisor

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Has anyone heard *why* they want to pay off the TARP loans?

Word on the street (Wall St) is that they're doing it so that they can go back to paying mega-bonuses to the chief officers.

Thing is, I'm not opposed to unlimited bonuses. But there has to be a downside to balance things out. To make a greedy officer or executive *think* before risking his company and the welfare of the investors and employees.

Anyone have any ideas for disincentives?

Public hangings?

(I kid, I kid) ;)

-Russ H.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Public hangings?

(I kid, I kid) ;)

-Russ H.

Listen to George Carlin's "Back in Town", he's got a great section about this, only it relates to how to stop Drug Trafficking while also balancing the federal budget using capital punishment as "entertainment" :p

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Has anyone heard *why* they want to pay off the TARP loans?

Word on the street (Wall St) is that they're doing it so that they can go back to paying mega-bonuses to the chief officers.

Thing is, I'm not opposed to unlimited bonuses. But there has to be a downside to balance things out. To make a greedy officer or executive *think* before risking his company and the welfare of the investors and employees.

Anyone have any ideas for disincentives?

Public hangings?

(I kid, I kid) ;)

-Russ H.

Russ-

you're partially correct-

real reason is that to qualify for TARP, the institution had to convert to a banking charter and become regulated under banking and insurance regulations

as a result, leverage and cash requirements are much stricter.... back in the good ol days of Bear Sterns and Lehman, leverage ran as high as 50x1. Some investment brokerages have rumored to run higher....

banks would be immediately nationalized or shut down if leverage controls were violated, most likely above single digits

ps. public hangings for CEO's taking home 100mil after defuncting their company is exactly what this country needs.... rewarding failure is a pet peeve of mine, I'm just kinda funny like that I guess

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I'm not very versed on how public companies are run, so bear with the newb question.

Shouldn't the share holders be the ones holding the CEO responsible? Couldn't they have it written into the contract that the CEO's bonus and parachute are based on company performance?

This is seems obvious so I am guessing I am missing a few key elements to the equation.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
shareholders elect a group of people to a board (board members) whom typically are decision makers regarding executive compensation....

even if you have one share, you are allowed to vote for board elections... but the vote is proportionately counted.

the vast majority of shares are held very closely by INSIDERS/trusts/families for controlling interest thus the determination of board members is all but assured by those who want what they want.

companies listed in the thread title are older insitutions where many shares have remained in families for generations and can be closely run....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.