The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I know many will find it hard to believe, but just based on my experience alone, I’m pretty sure you can narrow it down to who I am. Field is super niche.

I highly doubt it. Please explain? How would someone who’s resume could identify him not be able to find a job in that niche? Makes no sense.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

Did another round of few garage sales today’s near my home and...nothing.

People know the value of their stuff. They are basically charging retail prices. Other stuff that I did look up had potential profit of like $1...

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Did another round of few garage sales today’s near my home and...nothing.

People know the value of their stuff. They are basically charging retail prices. Other stuff that I did look up had potential profit of like $1...

Holy crap... you’re such a complainer.

You’re clearly not going to get handed your perfect job in your secretive niche. Get a minimum wage job then and stop with the “poor man” garbage.

You’re also not going to get handed free shit to resell. Homeowners are smarter than that.

You’ve got to give someone some value. Either an employer or a customer. Right now you’re just playing with yourself.

D

DeletedUser0287

Holy crap... you’re such a complainer.

You’re clearly not going to get handed your perfect job in your secretive niche. Get a minimum wage job then and stop with the “poor man” garbage.

You’re also not going to get handed free shit to resell. Homeowners are smarter than that.

You’ve got to give someone some value. Either an employer or a customer. Right now you’re just playing with yourself.

I’m just logging my progress. I mean of course they aren’t going to hand it to me, which is why I went out and rummaged through all the stuff and saying I got nothing today.

The job I’m applying to are far from perfect by the way.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Flipping stuff from garage sales (that you have to drive 40 minutes to) seems like a less than stellar strategy to me.

Everyone else I know who makes money flippings things seems to specialize in items tbat typically pull a decent profit and have a way to source those items easily enough. Thats the hurdle you want to overcome.

One guy I know flips cell phones and musical instruments and makes decent money. Another flips furniture. I don't know what he makes but he now does it full time.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For those that literally got no luck getting job even applying endlessly.

Maybe you should learn to write more professionally. Perhaps speak?

If anything that even remotely resembled this level of incoherence ended up on a resume, a final draft self representation of a person's accolades and abilities, I would hand it to my shredder.

"For those that have no luck finding a job, even after applying endlessly."

Mine has only one more word. It doesn't take much to put the effort in.

Luck? I don't think so.

D

DeletedUser0287

Maybe you should learn to write more professionally. Perhaps speak?

If anything that even remotely resembled this level of incoherence ended up on a resume, a final draft self representation of a person's accolades and abilities, I would hand it to my shredder.

"For those that have no luck finding a job, even after applying endlessly."

Mine has only one more word. It doesn't take much to put the effort in.

Luck? I don't think so.

How I type on this forum is not representative of my resume. If I wrote the same way on this forum on my resume, there would be no way I would get the job.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How I type on this forum is not representative of my resume. If I wrote the same way on this forum on my resume, there would be no way I would get the job.

How I write on this forum is pretty much how I speak in person and also how I write to people in business. You are trying to separate work and play, in business it's usually the same and converges.

I do wonder what your resume sounds like then.

D

DeletedUser0287

How I write on this forum is pretty much how I speak in person and also how I write to people in business. You are trying to separate work and play, in business it's usually the same and converges.

I do wonder what your resume sounds like then.

My resume is professionally worded which is the difference. Highlighting skills that would be valuable to the business.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
My resume is professionally worded which is the difference. Highlighting skills that would be valuable to the business.

Don't let your ego get offended, really everyone just want's to help.

Maybe your resume is crap?

Maybe it's not?

But i would at least send it to the people on this forum who have offered there help and are business owners, that look at resumes all the time.

See what they have to say and what can be improved if anything?

D

DeletedUser0287

Looks like there is potential for me to get a job in Seattle, WA. Across the country for me. They pay for location costs!

But my venture requires me to have my own home with all this machinery. Obviously, the home prices in Seattle, WA are no joke. If I can’t have my own place is it worth it?

Field Service Engineer. Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics. High travel job within a region going to clients. Company gives me a car and credit card. This is looking like a golden handcuff. Would you guys take this offer? Although the starting is just “ok”, but with the perks it looks good. My venture would be at hold now because of time, not money anymore if I do this. I could be away for training all over the country for a few months. Apparently a ton of time on the road. I fear I might not have time to do business if I have this job.

The job knowledge is helpful in my venture far along the road though, doesn’t help me out now.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What did you get done for your business last week? You went to 5 garage sales on Saturday but other than that, what all did you do?

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I can't help you with your resume because I haven't written one since the 90s. But if you want to flip successfully, I can help with that. Read up on what Gary Vee has to say about it. Also, hit up estate sales. They're not all hoity toity and filled with antiques. There is perfectly ordinary stuff to be had and I usually flip what I find for at least 10x the price. Most of what I buy I buy for less than $1.00 (usually 25-50 cents) and sell for $10.00 -$20.00. It doesn't sound like a lot, but the money adds up!

Recently, and I didn't flip this because I actually needed it, but I got a box of 100 X-Acto knife blades for $1.00. See? Bargains galore!

And the last thing I will say on this is that I know this isn't fast lane, but this OP wants to flip, and it's definitely a way to make cash. For me, I used to sell handmade things, and then started flipping stuff by accident, but I discovered that without making things but still selling online, my free time has really increased and given me time to work on more fast lane stuff.

And edited to add one last thing: Adding value to this for the customer-- I offer a stuff finding service too and ask people to contact me if they are looking for something I don't have, because I can probably find it. You have to be good at it and patient and willing to look. And again, not fast lane, but part of this could morph into something fast lane.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like there is potential for me to get a job in Seattle, WA. Across the country for me. They pay for location costs!

But my venture requires me to have my own home with all this machinery. Obviously, the home prices in Seattle, WA are no joke. If I can’t have my own place is it worth it?

Field Service Engineer. Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics. High travel job within a region going to clients. Company gives me a car and credit card. This is looking like a golden handcuff. Would you guys take this offer? Although the starting is just “ok”, but with the perks it looks good. My venture would be at hold now because of time, not money anymore if I do this. I could be away for training all over the country for a few months. Apparently a ton of time on the road. I fear I might not have time to do business if I have this job.

The job knowledge is helpful in my venture far along the road though, doesn’t help me out now.

Dude, you are all over the place. I probably should be putting you on ignore, but I'm still trying.

I'm guessing that a Field Service Engineer, Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics makes somewhere between $50/yr-$75k/yr and you are currently driving to garage sales trying to flip stuff for $10-$100? Hmmm, which should you pick?

You use the word golden handcuffs as if they are going to pay you soooo much that you can't quit.

And now you are asking if taking this job is worth it because you might have to rent instead of buy?

Tell me how this job "doesn’t help me out now". Do they pay you in cookies?

Seriously, WTF. You really are just lost in your own head.

This is the title of the thread that YOU MADE, "The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log", now we can all see why you can't get a job. You aren't really trying because you don't want one.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Dude, you are all over the place. I probably should be putting you on ignore, but I'm still trying.

I'm guessing that a Field Service Engineer, Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics makes somewhere between $50/yr-$75k/yr and you are currently driving to garage sales trying to flip stuff for $10-$100? Hmmm, which should you pick?

You use the word golden handcuffs as if they are going to pay you soooo much that you can't quit.

And now you are asking if taking this job is worth it because you might have to rent instead of buy?

This is the title of the thread that YOU MADE, "The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log", now we can all see why you can't get a job. You aren't really trying because you don't want one.

Actually I have 2 answers..... which should HE pick? Probably taking a job if he is only going to go to 5 garage sales in a week and say he 'did something'. lol What would I choose if I was in his shoes and had to do it all over again.... I'd choose picking. As usual, I'd be involved in the every day aspect of it but at the same time, build it to a business that almost ran itself. I mean, if 1 person can make $100,000 profit from flipping in a year, just think if someone had a team of 10+ people all working separate for the same goal. And from there..... branch in to other things like I did. You find some things just luckily fall in your lap once you start. Hell, I ended up with oil wells and I didn't even know a person could buy oil wells. Once things start rolling.... it's all down hill from there.....

D

DeletedUser0287

When I say, “doesn’t help me out now”, I was referring to the knowledge it gives me. The knowledge is useful, but not for what I am doing now. Sewing.

Yeah, I guess I don’t have a choice but to do it. I do find the topic engaging though.

I got the term”golden handcuff” wrong then. I called it that because they take care of everything for me, but it is huge time suck 60+hrs/week. Takes away from my business.

For my business, it is actually a big deal with renting vs buying. I need lots of room and machinery.

Edit: Now that I think more about it, I don’t even think I can run my business with this job.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser0287

Actually I have 2 answers..... which should HE pick? Probably taking a job if he is only going to go to 5 garage sales in a week and say he 'did something'. lol What would I choose if I was in his shoes and had to do it all over again.... I'd choose picking. As usual, I'd be involved in the every day aspect of it but at the same time, build it to a business that almost ran itself. I mean, if 1 person can make $100,000 profit from flipping in a year, just think if someone had a team of 10+ people all working separate for the same goal. And from there..... branch in to other things like I did. You find some things just luckily fall in your lap once you start. Hell, I ended up with oil wells and I didn't even know a person could buy oil wells. Once things start rolling.... it's all down hill from there.....

It was 5 in one day. 8 before. Weekdays don’t have much unless you want to travel and hour plus away for hit/miss.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When I say, “doesn’t help me out now”, I was referring to the knowledge it gives me. The knowledge is useful, but not for what I am doing now. Sewing.

Yeah, I guess I don’t have a choice but to do it. I do find the topic engaging though.

I got the term”golden handcuff” wrong then. I called it that because they take care of everything for me, but it is huge time suck 60+hrs/week. Takes away from my business.

For my business, it is actually a big deal with renting vs buying. I need lots of room and machinery.

You are thinking of future things, like way in the far off future things, when you should be making decisions based on what you need in the next 6-12 months.

You state you are poor and need money. So you need a job! And you aren't talking about getting a $12/hr job either. You are stating that you can get a $30-$35/hr with benefits.

Get yourself squared away and settled in. Work the job, save money. Work on your business while you are driving and traveling.

Golden handcuffs usually mean that you are stuck at a job because you can't afford to leave because they pay you too much or you have alot of options vesting in the future. Hence why the handcuffs are in gold.

Yes, it takes away from your business, but what business? You have no business now. It's just taking away from you driving to garage sales. Unless that's what you are calling your business.

How is needing lots of room and machinery a big deal with renting vs buying? I'm renting a warehouse for my business now, what do I need to own it?

D

DeletedUser0287

You are thinking of future things, like way in the far off future things, when you should be making decisions based on what you need in the next 6-12 months.

You state you are poor and need money. So you need a job! And you aren't talking about getting a $12/hr job either. You are stating that you can get a $30-$35/hr with benefits.

Get yourself squared away and settled in. Work the job, save money. Work on your business while you are driving and traveling.

Golden handcuffs usually mean that you are stuck at a job because you can't afford to leave because they pay you too much or you have alot of options vesting in the future. Hence why the handcuffs are in gold.

Yes, it takes away from your business, but what business? You have no business now. It's just taking away from you driving to garage sales. Unless that's what you are calling your business.

How is needing lots of room and machinery a big deal with renting vs buying? I'm renting a warehouse for my business now, what do I need to own it?

Right, right don't know what I was thinking there.

The flipping stuff was never a real business, it was only to fund my fastlane venture (sewn products) where I have to be physically present. I guess my goal job was to get paid 75K, but also be able to come home and work on my business. This Field Service Engineer doesn't allow that.

Oh, thanks for not "Ignoring me"

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
I could be away for training all over the country for a few months. Apparently a ton of time on the road. I fear I might not have time to do business if I have this job.

I average 100+ hours a week as a hydraulic fracturing engineer and can still find time to work on my side ventures. I just treat travel time as time in the classroom learning through audiobooks and podcasts. I never get 8 hours of sleep if 6 works for you then that's two more hours every day to work on your side business.

I highly recommend what I learned from the MFCEO podcast on writing down 5 critical tasks you are going to do during the day to get you closer to your goals. Just doing this every day has made the single biggest impact on my life. Once I write down the five things it drives me insane if I don't complete and cross them out. Here is the episode he talks about it Kill It Every Day: Maximizing Productivity, with Andy Frisella - MFCEO09.

I agree with everyone else though even if the job only pays 50k that's still a lot more than flipping for not even $100 profit a day. 60 hours a week still leaves plenty of time to work on a side business.

D

DeletedUser0287

I average 100+ hours a week as a hydraulic fracturing engineer and can still find time to work on my side ventures. I just treat travel time as time in the classroom learning through audiobooks and podcasts. I never get 8 hours of sleep if 6 works for you then that's two more hours every day to work on your side business.

I highly recommend what I learned from the MFCEO podcast on writing down 5 critical tasks you are going to do during the day to get you closer to your goals. Just doing this every day has made the single biggest impact on my life. Once I write down the five things it drives me insane if I don't complete and cross them out. Here is the episode he talks about it Kill It Every Day: Maximizing Productivity, with Andy Frisella - MFCEO09.

I agree with everyone else though even if the job only pays 50k that's still a lot more than flipping for not even $100 profit a day. 60 hours a week still leaves plenty of time to work on a side business.

Ok good to hear someone has done it with this type of schedule.
Unfortunately, the knowledge for my business does not come in audio or podcasts, it is archaic. I am reading books from the 1950s. To show what I mean about how scant the information is. Even then, I am struggling hard to acquire information, even though I paid for tons of books. I am looking at books in different languages now as well.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
just got a new job at UPS as package handler part time in Manhattan warehouse.
No resume even needed, the job sucks so they hire all the time.

Just google
jobs UPS
jobs FedEx

stuff like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads