The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The next gold rush - IoT (internet of things)

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I did a search on the forum and found no discussions about this so I think it might be worthy to create a thread. I am talking about Internet of Things. It is a proposed development of the Internet in which everyday objects have network connectivity, allowing them to send and receive data.

The following quotes are from the article http://www.forbes.com/sites/gartner...net-of-things-and-the-enterprise-opportunity/

"The world will see 25 billion Internet-connected things by 2020, and Gartner estimates that the IoT will produce close to $2 trillion of economic benefit globally. These things are not general purpose devices such as smartphones and PCs, but dedicated objects, such as vending machines, jet engines, connected soap dispensers and a myriad of other examples."

"Currently, IoT technologies — and business models that utilize IoT — are immature. Despite this immaturity, there are already sporadic examples of existing and planned uses across a wide range of industries. Enterprises will need to make plans and preparations now or risk being left behind by their faster-moving competitors."

It is going to be the next gold rush in the techno world, similar to the mobile app gold rush. I agree with the article that these IoT technologies are still immature, but like with every new techno they will make their way in our lives pretty quickly.

An example of an object having Internet connection:
http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF28HMELBSR/AA

Google and Apple already have their IoT developer tools:
https://cloud.google.com/solutions/iot/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I've heard a lot about this. Read a few articles on why it's important but I'm just not seeing it.

Tony Tony

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Aug 16, 2015
Canada
This is one of the big reasons everything went from IPV4 to IPV6 a few years back. With IPV6 there is something like 26000 IP addresses per person on earth. Basically unlimited for things like Internet of Things.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Exactly, jon.a. I don't do online banking because...a friend worked in banking security and told me security basically comes from the number of transactions. (!)

IoT has extraordinary security challenges, and until that gets much much better I put as few things online as possible.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Exactly, jon.a. I don't do online banking because...a friend worked in banking security and told me security basically comes from the number of transactions. (!)

IoT has extraordinary security challenges, and until that gets much much better I put as few things online as possible.
Standing in a crowd and hoping the other guy get shot?

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I've heard a lot about this. Read a few articles on why it's important but I'm just not seeing it.

Look at these examples. You can basically control everything in your home before you even get there. http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ion/150407-the-internet-of-things.html#slide4

IOT scares me.
I don't trust someone elses security enough. I won't even do online banking.
We don't know what we don't know.

I agree with you. The security has always been a major issue with computer technologies. Highly secure systems do exist, but the can also be breached just by more experienced person. Losing money because somebody brought down your website or somebody leaked your personal information is one thing, but driving a car that is being hijacked is a whooole new level of security issues: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

I only posted this thread because the coming of the world where everything is connected is inevitable. Big changes mean big opportunities. Those who are building their Fastlane now and have small profits could reinvest and become millionaire and millionaires could easily become billionaires.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I've been considering retraining myself as a "cybersecurity professional", but I haven't seen a way to make it Fastlane. I like the fact it will never be outsourced, and I enjoy the work, but I don't want spend my entire life chasing technology in the Slowlane. Even if I became an an independent security contractor, my income would be limited by the hours I could work.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
I've been considering retraining myself as a "cybersecurity professional", but I haven't seen a way to make it Fastlane. I like the fact it will never be outsourced, and I enjoy the work, but I don't want spend my entire life chasing technology in the Slowlane. Even if I became an an independent security contractor, my income would be limited by the hours I could work.
Robert Herjavec

edit: Having a skillset as an individual doesn't limit your ability to create a company, if anything your experience with Cybersecurity will make it easier to setup a system to deliver cybersecurity solutions!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I think this is an important developing market and industry to be in, as more regions (unconnected) are able to connect to the internet.
Big Data & IOT will become increasingly important and crucial.

How we are able to use that data meaningfully and deliver value is the key. The world is only becoming smaller and 'smarter'.

How prevalent is the IOT, Big Data and Smart Devices etc currently in the North American Market?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Robert Herjavec

edit: Having a skillset as an individual doesn't limit your ability to create a company, if anything your experience with Cybersecurity will make it easier to setup a system to deliver cybersecurity solutions!

Look up how John mcafee is living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Currently exploring IoT production, design, programming, and security with huge interest and fascination.

Might have the chops to bring one to kickstarter. Will let you guys know when I do.

EDIT: fully agree that this is the biggest thing to happen to humanity, physical reality will evolve to cross digital boundaries over the course of the next decade, as Moore's law brings us cheaper transistors that are twice as powerful every 2 years. Developed countries will see retailers leverage physical locations for continuous consumer engagement, with things like BLE and smartphones, which opens a whole new world of supporting application development, hardware specialization/miniaturization, and cybersecurity.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
As an entrepreneur... I love the idea of IoT and the possibilities it offers to really help people and fulfil important needs. As an individual though it does start to creep me out with the possibilities. Forget all the horror films you've seen far. The future blockbuster is going to about a woman trapped in her home while her stalker takes control of her home, trapping her and she dies a horrible death when he programmes the vacuum cleaner to vacuum her to death.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
they want every cell in your body to be connected to an IP address in the end....

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
they want every cell in your body to be connected to an IP address in the end....
Perhaps not to that degree, but an IOT connected cancer/heart disease prevention monitor wouldn't be such a bad thing.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Currently exploring IoT production, design, programming, and security with huge interest and fascination.

Might have the chops to bring one to kickstarter. Will let you guys know when I do.

EDIT: fully agree that this is the biggest thing to happen to humanity, physical reality will evolve to cross digital boundaries over the course of the next decade, as Moore's law brings us cheaper transistors that are twice as powerful every 2 years. Developed countries will see retailers leverage physical locations for continuous consumer engagement, with things like BLE and smartphones, which opens a whole new world of supporting application development, hardware specialization/miniaturization, and cybersecurity.

Good thing is that there are going to be more and more open source projects, allowing everyone to learn fast on their own. In fact, there already are. Programmable boards like Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Intel Galileo can be used by anyone to start their own IoT projects. Or anything else programmable.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
As an entrepreneur... I love the idea of IoT and the possibilities it offers to really help people and fulfil important needs. As an individual though it does start to creep me out with the possibilities. Forget all the horror films you've seen far. The future blockbuster is going to about a woman trapped in her home while her stalker takes control of her home, trapping her and she dies a horrible death when he programmes the vacuum cleaner to vacuum her to death.

Unplug the router?

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Unplug the router?

Yes, that will work for now.

But that doesn't actually fix the security flaw, you've just temporarily halted access. Are you never going back online again after?

@Imgal props to being able to see the significance of cybersecurity. IMO It's poised to become the single most important trade in the coming times.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado

I don't want to derail this thread, but if you're interested in a relevant bit of fiction, check out this book I mentioned over here. It'll only make those fears worse. Much worse.

I agree as far as the security piece being huge. And I don't think the general public will really get that. For example, how many people have been perfectly happy to plop an Amazon Echo onto their kitchen counter? Insane if you ask me.

Another opportunity here is in the big data aspect. That area has been growing steadily for a while now, but think about how it will have to expand in order to handle thousands of data streams for every person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Unplug the router?

That's the twist. The router cannot be unplugged without the connection being unlocked by the thumb print of her dead father (I think we can all tell I don't have a future in scriptwriting.
Yes, that will work for now.

But that doesn't actually fix the security flaw, you've just temporarily halted access. Are you never going back online again after?

@Imgal props to being able to see the significance of cybersecurity. IMO It's poised to become the single most important trade in the coming times.

It's something I've been playing about with ideas for a while. Think it's about time I started getting more serious and stop playing with ideas and start doing something!
I don't want to derail this thread, but if you're interested in a relevant bit of fiction, check out this book I mentioned over here. It'll only make those fears worse. Much worse.

Appreciate the link I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
It's something I've been playing about with ideas for a while. Think it's about time I started getting more serious and stop playing with ideas and start doing something!

This is definitely a place to look for opportunities. Whenever some new start-up appears on HN that is "teching up" something, the conversation always turns to security concerns. The challenge is making a system that's secure, but is easy enough for the general population to use. HTTPS stands out, to me, as a pattern to follow, as all the encryption and decryption is done seamlessly. There's a weakness in that it relies on the authority mechanism, but the general principles are good.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
perhaps the Internet of Everything is a bad direction. Notice how NO ONE with the billions and billions let alone the president and main politicians comes out to fight this stuff. They all get in line because DARPA, CIA, the president, a general, a Google founder says we are going in this direction

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Mineralogic perhaps discovering the Earth was round was a bad direction. Luckily we had the entire world killing scientists as fast as we could.

Maybe with some concerted effort from fellow fastlaners, we could plunge the world into the dark ages again?

dave84

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 25, 2015
Ireland

Check out Breaker 101 if you're interested, I think it's still running: https://breaker101.com/
At least one cybersecurity professional has figured out how to Fastlane it.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
@Mineralogic perhaps discovering the Earth was round was a bad direction. Luckily we had the entire world killing scientists as fast as we could.

Maybe with some concerted effort from fellow fastlaners, we could plunge the world into the dark ages again?

complete strawman argument? That's not my point or argument. Technology has been very good for many years up until recent years.

We are building things that DO NOT empower or elevate mankind nor eliminate suffering. We are building tricks and toys with it a lot of times. If anything the pendulum has swung the other way and many more technological measures are being used to digitally enslave people, softly at first.

There is also lots of new research coming out showing how internet/wifi signals are causing health issues in a certain segment of the population i know all about from recent healthcare scare

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
perhaps the Internet of Everything is a bad direction. Notice how NO ONE with the billions and billions let alone the president and main politicians comes out to fight this stuff. They all get in line because DARPA, CIA, the president, a general, a Google founder says we are going in this direction

Everyone always asks: "Can we do it?" But they never ask: "Should we do it?" (This comes from a video I watched in which they talked about the idea of nuking Mars, but it can be related to anything). That being said, we are going in this direction, good direction or not. If you think this is bad, then wait for the downsides of the strong AI development and it's everyday usage, which will surely come during our lifetime.

Is Facebook a good idea? Mobile phones? Robotics? Great servants, dangerous masters. Perfect in theory, but can be perilous in practice.

Drq

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 7, 2015

Anti viruses, firewalls, security hardware, intrusion detection systems, mobile security - each of them is a field where you can develop products or services (or both). You can make it fastline, it wouldn't be automated, but you can make it very scalable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.