The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The New Windows 10 & other Windows Products

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
http://cnntechlive.cnn.com/Event/Windows_10_Event

There is a lot of info for the new Windows 10 stuff coming out.

Lots that would be useful in a business environment - most specifically the digital whiteboard (Surface Hub) and the 'hologram' glasses and the program that allows people to create their own hologram models and manipulate them.

"Examples of possible uses for HOLOGRAMS, which I really hope is in all caps like I hear it in my head. Turn your living room into a gaming environment, engineers can tinker with 3D models, architects can see blueprints over their real sites."

I can see a BUNCH of possible business applications here - this can potentially make prototyping much, much easier.

And their new internet browser might put them back on the map with Firefox and Chrome - I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Thoughts (let's not turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft debate ;) )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I still have Windows 7. I'll upgrade if they get rid of the notion of "apps" on a computer and make a standalone operating system for a computer. Windows 8 was a catastrophe. All a universal OS does is make computer users dumber and slower. That's what a table and smartphone is for.

I really think there is a market for a third operating system for computers. One that caters to programmers and heavy computer users in general. The type that value saving milliseconds on tasks that they repeat hundreds or thousands of times each day.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Windows 8 is basically windows 7. Just throw the classic shell on it.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I still have Windows 7. I'll upgrade if they get rid of the notion of "apps" on a computer and make a standalone operating system for a computer. Windows 8 was a catastrophe. All a universal OS does is make computer users dumber and slower. That's what a table and smartphone is for.

I really think there is a market for a third operating system for computers. One that caters to programmers and heavy computer users in general. The type that value saving milliseconds on tasks that they repeat hundreds or thousands of times each day.

TBH, I don't use apps on my W8 at all. The only time I even see the app screen is when I am searching for a file or program - I can just start typing and the options show up, without having to open any additional windows. 8.1, at least, really doesn't work any different than Windows 7 (and I'm a heavy user). That said, I'm not that big of a fan of the apps. The only one I really use is the Mail app.

I am interested in seeing how they change that with Windows 10, for sure. Some people loved it, some hated it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yeah, well, that exists and is used by that exact group (at least programmers). Its called linux. :pompus:

Mac OS is also based on unix btw.

I'm also currently using windows 7 because I spilled coffee over my macbook air and need the money for a new one elsewhere right now. Probably buying the 2015 air. Cant wait. Windows sucks so much balls. I refuse to even try windows 8. Cant imagine windows 10 being any better.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

This. I see no reason to upgrade from Windows 7 yet. I stuck it out with XP for like a decade and I'll do it again with 7 if need be. My next computer will be built with 7 unless this new OS is a major improvement over 8.

Windows 8 is basically windows 7. Just throw the classic shell on it.

And that's why I see no reason to upgrade.
  • First everyone hates Windows 8 because of the tiles.
  • Then there's software to make it behave like Windows 7.
  • Now everyone likes W8 because it's like W7.
I see no reason to pay extra money for 8 so that I can be given a chore to make it similar to my existing OS haha.

Kuda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, well, that exists and is used by that exact group (at least programmers). Its called linux. :pompus:

Mac OS is also based on unix btw.

I'm also currently using windows 7 because I spilled coffee over my macbook air and need the money for a new one elsewhere right now. Probably buying the 2015 air. Cant wait. Windows sucks so much balls. I refuse to even try windows 8. Cant imagine windows 10 being any better.
It's a matter of choice really I have been using windows for the last 10 years. I cant see myself using any other operating system. But windows 8 was a flop it tried to appeal to both tablet users and pc users and ended up appealing to noone.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Windows sucks so much balls. I refuse to even try windows 8. Cant imagine windows 10 being any better.
Every time people complain that computers have so many problems, I have to correct them and say, "no no no, you are very incorrect. Windows has a ton of problems."

Windows 8 was a catastrophe.
I liked Windows 8 actually, but it's probably because I like pretty lights and things like that.

I'm also currently using windows 7 because I spilled coffee over my macbook air
3811539-5014dd08f0b05.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Normally I wouldn't care about anything Windows, but lately Apple has seriously been dropping the ball with Mavericks and Yosemite. These OS's make my computer act like Windows Vista.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Normally I wouldn't care about anything Windows, but lately Apple has seriously been dropping the ball with Mavericks and Yosemite. These OS's make my computer act like Windows Vista.

Luckily the reviews for those are terrible in the app store, I almost "upgraded" my OS. I'm still on snow leopard I think.

Anyway you can revert back to a better OS?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whats wrong with Yosemite and Mavericks?

I never seen so many spinning beach balls. Every upgrade slows my machine.

The hologram technology definitely looks like a gamechanger!

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I hear you on that ! I'm a musician and all my keyboards and click tracks are on my mac. Gotta get to the gig with 10-15 minutes extra for the boot-up. I thought I was asking too much of my mac or something, but sounds like im not the only one with this problem.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

The hologram technology definitely looks like a gamechanger!
I hear you on that ! I'm a musician and all my keyboards and click tracks are on my mac. Gotta get to the gig with 10-15 minutes extra for the boot-up. I thought I was asking too much of my mac or something, but sounds like im not the only one with this problem.

Is this older macbooks (pre-retina) that are running Yosemite and Mavericks?

My wife's machine is an older MacBook that is running kinda choppy. My new MacBook with Retina (Mid 2014 version?) runs really well.

My iPhone 4S is also running sluggish as hell on OS8. Maybe this is Apple's strategy to force upgrades?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe this is Apple's strategy to force upgrades?

Dunno but its a definite departure from the stable system environment I've come to enjoy. For the first time in probably about 8 years, I started looking at Windows machines. Both my iPhone and iPad stopped working correctly about 1 year after having them, lots of jinks and clinks. I hate rewarding bad products with another purchase to replace the bad product.

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
One that caters to programmers and heavy computer users in general. The type that value saving milliseconds on tasks that they repeat hundreds or thousands of times each day.

I would not want anything where I could not run http://www.keybreeze.com/ on it - since my old netbook died i also got a chromebook and I am highly impressed that it starts in less than 5 seconds and keeps me focusing on getting my work done instead of maintaining a system environment!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.