The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Netflix of books...

G

GuestUser152

Just got a cool app called Oyster. It's pretty much the netflix of books.

Unlimited reading of their 100,000 + book library for less than $10 a month. One month free trial. You can sign up at oysterbooks.com That's pretty much it.

I'm not affiliated just thought it was a great service many here might be interested in. Adios.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Upon first reading this I figured that it would be 100k books comprised of maybe 300-500 good books and the rest filler. However, I gave the site a look and it seemed great, lot's of interesting choices!

I will surely utilize the free month once I finish my current pile of books, thanks for the share.

Corygoneke

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Dec 27, 2013
They don't have an option to search for what books are available before you actually put in your credit card information. This could be incredible but I'm not willing to give them my information without even knowing exactly what they provide.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I wonder how many cistomers they have

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Ebooks are so cheap though, how many would you have to read per month for it to make sense? And would you really find the books you want or would you end up reading some books just because they are there?
Netflix makes sense because it takes 2hrs to watch a movie, so you watch 4 movies in a month or x amount of TV shows and it's worth it.
There are so many books I really want to read, I wouldn't waste time (you could argue reading is never a waste of time) reading other books just because I pay for the service.
Now if they had audio books too, that would be even better. hmm...

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Interesting idea, but I have to agree w Milkanic about the library. You can get a bunch of ebooks for free from your local library. I'd be curious to see how they do though. I find the subscription biz model fascinating.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
If I could get a netflix-price-range subscription for iPod compatible audio books with very good selection (modern stuff, as well as good recordings of most of the Western "classics") I'd sign up instantly.

Bosstradamus

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
If I could get a netflix-price-range subscription for iPod compatible audio books with very good selection (modern stuff, as well as good recordings of most of the Western "classics") I'd sign up instantly.

Sounds like a niche waiting to b exploited ;)

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal

Been seeing ads for it for about 1-2 weeks now. If I remember correctly it's 10$/month for audiobooks. I wonder if it's anyone from here lol.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Many serious Angel/VC investors think early stage startups are overvalued right now.

EDIT- I should be more specific: IT-type startups are overvalued.

Last edited:

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I was just reading thru my girlfriend's issue of Vanity Fair (please no judgement) because I saw an article on the cover talking about how we're in a tech bubble again. The most memorable part of the article was something along the lines of "these kids have their apps that locate a parking space for you and they feel their app is worth tens of millions of dollars... I ask them why so much, and they look at me like I'm the crazy one".

Yikes.

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Not anymore...

Oyster Shutters Operations
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...amazon-competitor-oyster-shutters-operations/

I'm starting to see a lot of startups go under these last few months.

Starting to smell awfully like the late 90's tech implosion, not to mention the market's recent downturn.

Looks like Groupon is heading in that direction as well...

Groupon to cut 1,100 jobs, pull out of 7 countries

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-groupon-job-cuts-20150922-story.html

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
BytuapVCMAI1aXM.jpg:large

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA

You mean self-pubbing specifically?

edit: should have finished reading thread before posting - I think I see my answer. :banghead:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Y'all should download overdrive media console and then go to your library and get a card.

Why pay for some stuff when you don't have to! It also puts a deadline on the book so you need to finish it before it expires which, surprisingly, I like.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Looks like Groupon is heading in that direction as well...

Groupon to cut 1,100 jobs, pull out of 7 countries

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-groupon-job-cuts-20150922-story.html

I had thought of mentioning that, but different circumstances. Groupon's business model isn't that good. Basically, they get a bunch of retailers to take a massive loss on some products or services in exchange for being listed in Groupon. If a business resists, they pull out the "your competition is doing this" tactic. When a customer purchases something, Groupon gets a cut (50%?). Pretty much the only way for the business to make money is for the customer to become a repeat customer. If you're using Groupon for services, chances are, you're going to use the cheapest deal, regardless of who the company is. It's a race to the bottom. People who hold strong loyalty to a particular company for various services generally don't care about the price, and hence, would never use Groupon for that service.

Oyster, on the other hand, is an example of the over valuation. They got 3 million in seed funding, and then 14 million in a second round. If I was the VC, I'd ask how they plan to compete with Kindle Unlimited, which offers both ebooks and audiobooks, Audible, Google Play*, and the local library. The issue is content, as Amazon (and Google) has the cash to license a lot more books than Oyster.

* Some of their staff got hired by Google, probably to compete against Amazon.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Not anymore...

Oyster Shutters Operations
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...amazon-competitor-oyster-shutters-operations/

Starting to smell awfully like the late 90's tech implosion, not to mention the market's recent downturn.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shutdown

Anyways, isn't the chance for a startup to succeed something like 5%? I vaguely recall someone telling a bunch of people in an class on entrepreneurship to look to their left and right, and that those people's startups would fail.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.