The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The importance of password protection

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Back in the early days of Yahoo!, I had an account that one day became inaccessible ... I even tried answering security questions I had set for the account, but no luck ... Interestingly, this occurred shortly after I had a debate with another person on one of the message boards there ... Luckily, I didn't have much (if any) info about me, personally, and the password I used would have been easy to hack with brute force ... It definetly made be realized the importance of using a strong password.

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
Some advice on strong Passwords.

AKO for the Army requires the use of a minimum of two capital letters, two numbers, and two special characters and must be at least 8 characters long. They also require that you change it every 6 months. To add to this protection they just recently made it that you either have to log in with an ID card (CAC card) which could be an option for some people or after logging in they will give you 3 random questions that you answered from a question bank of 15. Security is high on that website now a days. Another example is MyPay doesn't even allow you to type on your keyboard. You enter you pin by clicking on the numbers with your mouse.

Lusches

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 13, 2009
Germany
Bruteforce-attacks don't make sense at all.
1. Its very slow. You need too much time to Crack a password without a dictionary. There is a algorithm called DES-Algorithm that was very popular in the past. Just google it :smxF: The texts had a length of 56 bit and it took them very long to crack the password. In the DES Challenge III a system of 100 000 computers cracked it in about 22 hours (222 BILLION KEYS PER SECOND). The normal Md5 -hashes have a length of 128 bit and you have to have much luck to crack the password :groove:

2. Every website will automatically ban you if you try to start a bruteforce-attack.
3. If you get the md5-hases over SQL-injections or XSS(cross site scripting) you don't need to crack it anymore. You can modify your browsers header-information to fake the login.

What do we lern out of it ? Get a password that cant be found in dictionarys/other lists and you will be save. :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

hahahaha, I feel like a total moron after reading that article xD

Time to switch up my passwords :D

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
My solution is simple, I don't do any banking online.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.