The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Future Of Online Business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser11

Where do you guys think its going ?

The barrier for entry is very low nowadays. Anyone can have a website up and running within a few days

Even Mark Cuban said to start looking somewhere else if everyone is looking toward the internet.

Is the market too saturated for new content businesses to start up ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Too general a term.

You may ask about online stores, or social media sites, or content-based media sites, to be more specific.

vladsoriano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 5, 2012
London, UK
Being online is just a medium. A very powerful medium, granted but still a medium.
Like saying there are too many corner shops or chinese restaurants or market stalls... their too saturated... what's the future of them?
Well.... quite bright actually.

It's not that a business is "online" but whether that business actually produces something of value in high demand.

Having said that... you're probably really asking "which online businesses are too saturated to create a meaningful fastlane venture?"
My answer to that is to reiterate what AndrewC has said. "Be better / Be Different"

I remember years ago... maybe about 2005 a fellow came out with "Day Job Killer" and the approach was completely and utterly different to any other approach at the time. The content was new, but not that revolutionary, yet because it was a fresh and disruptive style - before Facebook or Twitter or social networking was around - it caused quite a buzz and made a killing.

This can still be done today... but the approach has changed. Now its webinar delivery and product launches, with buzz created on social networks. These are just channels - your product still has to have value for someone to want to buy it.

Contrast this to Christine Clayfield's "From Newbie to Millionaire" which is a slowburner online method.... but I think just as effective. I think it would be better to take your strengths and personality and work on proving something small first for the same type of product demand. If you can do that, then you can use the internet to scale to other audiences.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
I think it doesn't matter if you have a lot of competitors around the block as long as you provide great service to your customers that's what matters nowadays. Online shops comes and go, but if you provide great service I'm sure you'll survive and surpass all your competitors.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Online will be even more embedded in our lives. The connection between on/offline will be big, people/businesses using online/social media/mobile. Enabling all kinds of electronics/appliances in an even more connected world will bring much opportunity. Online itself is so overwhelming, people will be always hungry for ways to get relevant, specific information suited for them.

SameerElvis

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Feb 7, 2013
Aligarh, India
The internet has only just "begun", relative to other technologies and there definitely is a lot of room for further value creation ahead. We are living in the period of the internet gold rush, we are lucky enough to be at the right time to take advantage of this level playing field before eventually big players start really dominating the markets and there is possibly no further value that can be created. Since that should take about a 100 years more, you can safely work towards providing value to people through this medium for the rest of your life. It will only continue to grow. Tommorows Googles and Apples of the world are already in the making.

conrad1cal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 2, 2013
Internet and "online" is not going anywhere, it's a big part of the future.

Maybe you're looking for what's next? Mobile and phone calls. Businesses are going to be going backwards in the next years. Backwards to phone calls and conversations. Businesses will start to realize again that a phone call is worth more than 5 fields including that phone number. We can coin it, "interactive marketing", where people talk to people and have dialogue. Quality > quantity.

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
The basics will stay similar. Not the same but similar. The internet and all the different businesses that are online will evolve. The thing is to allow yourself to evolve with them. Always be in the "student mode". Always keep learning and evolve. Discarding something just because everybody are doing it is not the right way.It's like telling people to open up a record store just because the competition online is too much for them. You should rather focus on keeping your business one level higher than the competitors (better service,better quality). If you have quality,demand and a good plan then your business should do well.

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
Well, in my opinion entry "fee" isn't that low (unless you have already some Good money...)

Because if you want to have a proper site, proper sales funnel and finally proper earnings (after outsmarting all the competitors!) you have to know your stuff very fu**** well... and that's not something you can learn in a few weeks or even months.

Of course, you can pay for all of that but then... price won't be low at all (If you really want to get things done, you will pay... quality which brings results costs money! And it isn't cheap)

Don't fool yourself...

Entry into online bus isn't low... (not for most of us).

While you can build a crappy site and sell it with 1000% margins.. You still have to build it.

You can't just outsource it if you are selling for $150 isn't it? What your margin will be? $15, $25? That's not a fast-lane for sure :)
(it isn't even "middle" line...)

From my experience...

I'm working on a website right now which is going to be on a sale soon. I do everything myself (excluding hosting) and I can tell you that if you want to make some decent money... you have to spend time, and a lot of it! (especially if you have no sources available!).

So, that's ok.

Anyone have time... (almost...).

So you may think that this is enough... just spent some time working on a site and sell it with GOOD profit... sound sweet isn't it?

However...

There is one more thing you gonna need to build and sell that site, and it's called KNOWLEDGE.

If you have no money but you have knowledge and time, that's ok. You will do it.

If you have no money and no knowledge... that's sucks to be honest. But you have some time at least! (I mean you will have to LEARN... and that calls for more TIME and maybe money...)

If you have no money, no time and no knowledge... Then you HAVE to make more TIME first! (to be able to learn...)

And I will tell you this.

I could open restaurant with some easy and fast meals (kebab, grilled chicken, pasta etc) for a fraction of what is involved in producing website I am working on right now.

I mean proper restaurant in a busy location in one of the biggest towns of my country (not in some deep dark hole...)

But... I pay a lot for all of this with my KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and TIME.

Yeah...

So I just wanted to make some things clear

P.S Of course, there are ways to make GOOD money, relatively fast but... There is always some sort of "fee" involved. The only easy day was yesterday.

BTW this Mark Cuban is talking bolox... and market is NEVER saturated with GOOD products! But...

It is saturated all the time with CRAP :)

Hope that helps. Just make sure your s*** is MUCH better (and different!) then your competitors' s**** :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.