The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Beginning of the End...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Today I started preparing for the idea of moving this forum over to a new software platform. It will be a cold-day in hell before I give vBulletin any more smack as the software sucks, and their new software isn't any better.

In order to do that, I had to disable vbSEO which is another dying company, if it isn't dead already (as indicated by the co-founder's disgruntled email.)

http://admin-talk.com/threads/dear-vbulletin-forum-community-vbseo-is-suspending-operations.43684/

Upon disabling vbSEO, I'm hoping the forum improves in speed although I'm not sure what it will do to our SE rankings.

Also with the disabling, our LIKES system was disabled as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do there and I'm saddened it is gone.

In the meantime, I installed a different likes system -- the likes/thanks buttons are at the bottom of the page. Also, if you click the Quick Links menu, this system aggregates some of the great liked/thanks posts so you can see the hot topics.

The take away here?

Some great Commandment of Control issues! I continue to be held hostage by vBulletin's shitty software until I can find a better alternative. Xenforo seems to be worth a shot but I'm not sold on that either. Anyhow, look for the switch to happen toward the end of summer/beginning of the fall.

Also, vbSEO seems to have 1 foot in the grave which doesn't surprise me. When you hitch your wagon to another company's horse (in this case vBulletin) you'll always be working from behind with your face in the horses' a$$. Same goes if your company is reliant on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Happy trails.

PS: There is also a DISLIKE button now ... however, that's ONLY available to INSIDERS.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I am not a big fan of vBulletin, so I'm glad to hear you're switching. Hope you can find a nice alternative. I used to work for the official Zetaboards support site, but that seems like it may be dying too... Very customizable though, may be worth a look. There just isn't a lot of great forum software out there. Especially if you are looking to keep your current data.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
Funny I was thinking about this the other day, thinking how vbulletin was so old and crappy and there must be a better solution, possibly build a new forum software.. Need in the market? Lots of work though..

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:
G

GuestUser8117

Lol. You scared me, I thought you were closing the forum...F-o-r-e-v-e-r.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Ah, gotcha! Thanks for letting us know.

Since you're switching into a new different platform - a different forum server, are you interested in getting any design work (a little or big) done... free of charge? Feel free to let me know anytime!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Also with the disabling, our LIKES system was disabled as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do there and I'm saddened it is gone.

It should be feasible to transfer old likes to the new system if that's what you want. This is just a guess, without insight into your database, but here goes:

Each recorded LIKE in current system has at least 3 parameters: user id, post id and timestamp.

Now assuming that user and post id's stay the same, it should be fairly easy to write a script that fills in the new system with all existing LIKEs.

Btw. One thing I like very much on this forum, which I haven't seen elsewhere is the quote button which appears when you select post text.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump due to 2nd try. (vbSEO had to be disabled as it was using 80% of my servers' CPU.)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Viva revolucion! Speed reset for everyone!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
With the forum software, what are some of your pain points? What is causing you the most trouble?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With the forum software, what are some of your pain points? What is causing you the most trouble?

The software is bloated.
The software is slow.
The software is stuck in 1999.
The software is cumbersome.
The software is impossible to modify and customize.
The software sucks.

I'd go on, but you probably get the point.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
So you want a quick loading, customizable forum?

As for stuck in 1999, I'm not sure as to what you mean. I was 8 years old then lol...

What are some of the forums you use (aside from this one) that have certain features you like. What software they are using, etc..

spaghetti coded nightmares.
That is also a pain. Aside from labeling everything in the webpage code I don't know how to solve this, most languages I've coded in have this problem. It becomes a pain to do large scale programs.

Then again my languages are limited to java(Some jscript, C++, and C#), html, VB2005, and some Mandarin. God I'm outdated.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Aside from labeling everything in the webpage code I don't know how to solve this, most languages I've coded in have this problem. It becomes a pain to do large scale programs.

Architecture. Its not the language, its the lack of proper architecture, component-based design, etc. Its not throwing design patterns at it, all the design patterns in the world won't help you if you're not a good software craftsman. The Pragmatic Programmer is a good starting place.

Pat Flynn at Smart Passive Income is using Vanilla forums on his NicheSiteDuel website, curious how its working out for him, I think he's got a fair number of users on it.

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
I asked a friend who has a forum which software he would use. He said that he used VBulletin and had similar problems, so he migrated to XenForo. He likes it a lot as it is easily customizable, fast, and not expensive. He said he also likes Invision Power Board for the same reasons. He used a third party to migrate the data from VB to XenForo and said it wasn't too bad.

http://xenforo.com/

http://www.invisionpower.com

Hope this helps!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007