The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tax Prep for Traders

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
I need to find someone new to help with my tax prep. My current guy was great when I just had a few houses and my brokerage statement was easy to read, but I don't think he's really in to the options trading that I do. I've stayed with him this long because I wanted to keep the local guy, but I need to move on.

I need someone that understands options and traders. Someone that can take this tree that my brokers clearing firm sends to me and can translate it into what I need to send to the IRS. Does anyone have any experience with tradersaccounting com or does anyone have a name that they can post or PM me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Edge,
are the accounting rules different using options vs. stocks? Whether you're filing under trader status or not? ....

if the answer is "no" then I would suggest a local accounting firm and at the very least someone from your home state to properly comply with local/state tax reporting

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Yeah, there are quite a few differences. Index options are handled differently then equity options and neither are reported to the IRS by your broker. The only thing reported by the brokers clearing firm to the IRS are instances where you were actually assigned the stock or underlying, so it is up to you to take care of all the mated trade stuff and it really turns into a big rats nest.

If I look at what is summarized as my total options activity, it says I made a LOT more than I did last year. It is time for me to get someone that really understands on my side, someone that knows how to break it up and present it properly. I haven't found that person locally yet. I'm willing to spend the money for one of these big name services you find on the web, but I haven't found favorable reviews for them either.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
would something like Ameritrade's Gainskeeper program work for you? when I report my 1099, I attach the report printed by Gainskeeper and it contains every single transaction made and it can be exported to excel so I can make notes, etc....

it's very annoying paying a jr. accountant to type all of that info back onto the schedule but I am told that's the way it's gotta be...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.