The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking a chance.

ji1029

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jul 8, 2021
Hi everyone. My name is Joey, I'm 37 and up to May of this year I was a Police Officer with the city of Chicago. I was with the department for just about 2 years. However one tour at around 3am as I'm sitting in the squad car overlooking the beautiful skyline it occurred to me...this was it. This was all my life will ever amount to. I literally could see myself slowly withering away into just another statistic. Just another person who never claimed life. I was overwhelmed with this feeling, maybe it was my FTE moment. I think it was.

So, I left. I went on a leave of absence. I didn't know what my next move would be. I was scared, sad disappointed but I also felt FREE. For the first time in my life, I felt absolutely unshackled from this idea that the script was already written before me. And it made me happy internally. It's such a weird dynamic to feel scared of the unknown however empowered by freedom simultaneously. Anyways, it's not ideal and I landed back at my parents place for now however I have some savings as well. I started reading TMF and it rocked my world. I truly do believe it is POSSIBLE, with all my heart. I have no debt, I don't party, so I'm grounded in this regard and would dedicate every waking hour and moment to growing a business. However I'm struggling with what may be the biggest hurdle, how to start. I spend a lot of time trying to think of solutions to problems which from what I'm learning is a solid approach.

How do I claim my roadmap and forge a path? The desire, fire and passion is there I just have to find my direction. My goal is to become financially free by 43 (I know I'm old)

Any advice or feedback anyone can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
If you are willing to invest I would say check out one of these :

Sam Ovens Consulting Accelerator
Iman Gadzhi Agency Incubator
Jordan Platten Affluent Academy

These courses don't just teach you just skills like any "Udemy" course but business principles (sales, accounting, management and lead generation) and they help you start generating money in real world by solving problems instead of giving you a certificate or a diploma.

If you want to start earning money and help real business owners, I would say to go with Jordan Platten course.

He has an accountability program and if you don't sign a client in 30 days by following the program he gives you they will give you a full refund.

He teaches you how to start a Marketing Agency, pick a niche, pick a service, start cold outreach, how to close on sales call and how to deliver the service.

Nothing you can't learn for free but it can speedway your way to success.

Go with the proven boring business model instead of the new exciting startup.

Also I'm not looking to promote any of the guys above but I look up to them as I look to MJ.

If this is not allowed please let me know @MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If this is not allowed please let me know @MJ DeMarco

Allowed, but advice I wouldn't recommend. I would avoid spending $1000s on some guru course -- spend money on courses for more specific disciplines. How to go from 0 to 1 can be derived from a ten dollar book.

How do I claim my roadmap and forge a path? The desire, fire and passion is there I just have to find my direction.

Be lead by the problem and/or value you seek to provide. All the questions derived from that launch point form your roadmap. I'd also suggest reading The Great Rat Race Escape as it really outlines both in story form, and practice form, how an escape occurs -- from a dead end hated job, to a business that delivers financial freedom.

Having lived in Chicago for 26 years (and working in the city for 6 of them) and can't imagine the pain you must have to live daily.

Welcome to the forum.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
Hey Joey, welcome to the forum. :)

I guess the biggest question I have for you right now is have you thought about what kinda system you wanna build for your new adventure getting to the fastlane? For the roadmap you speak of, you'll need:
  • A clear definition of the destination: "make more money" is boring and unuseful but what's the lifestyle? Owning a mansion or a cabin in the woods on 100 acres you own? What are you driving? What are your days filled with? Who's there with you? Write it all down or even make a mood board (a little corny but it can help with visualization and make it feel more real and attainable, especially if you struggle with owning your vision). The money will is implicit so, what else do you desire?
  • A product or service of value you're trading for money: what are some problems you see that you can help solve? Are they scalable and useful to many people?
  • The skills to produce/provide your service.
    • If you do not have those skills, start your education there. Udemy's got some high-quality paid content but I'd even start with YouTube or your local library for specific stuff on the skills you need to work with. Of course, you can leverage the wealth of knowledge to be found here, asking questions and reaching out to others.
  • A vehicle to get you to your destination: it's not just about doing something, but creating a system or process that can eventually be automated, whether through technology or delegating tasks to other people who work for you.
So back to my (rephrased) first question: how do you answer these four points?

In the meantime, I hope you're super stoked for this new chapter. The process can be a pain in the a$$ but soooo much more fulfilling imo. But I'm clearly biased so do with this what you will.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I started out 4 years ago and I know how you feel right now.

What do I do? Where do I start?

All I can say is just keep improving, keep learning, keep hanging around with people who think like an entrepreneur and just take action on your first business idea.

D

Deleted85763

Hi everyone. My name is Joey, I'm 37 and up to May of this year I was a Police Officer with the city of Chicago. I was with the department for just about 2 years. However one tour at around 3am as I'm sitting in the squad car overlooking the beautiful skyline it occurred to me...this was it. This was all my life will ever amount to. I literally could see myself slowly withering away into just another statistic. Just another person who never claimed life. I was overwhelmed with this feeling, maybe it was my FTE moment. I think it was.

So, I left. I went on a leave of absence. I didn't know what my next move would be. I was scared, sad disappointed but I also felt FREE. For the first time in my life, I felt absolutely unshackled from this idea that the script was already written before me. And it made me happy internally. It's such a weird dynamic to feel scared of the unknown however empowered by freedom simultaneously. Anyways, it's not ideal and I landed back at my parents place for now however I have some savings as well. I started reading TMF and it rocked my world. I truly do believe it is POSSIBLE, with all my heart. I have no debt, I don't party, so I'm grounded in this regard and would dedicate every waking hour and moment to growing a business. However I'm struggling with what may be the biggest hurdle, how to start. I spend a lot of time trying to think of solutions to problems which from what I'm learning is a solid approach.

How do I claim my roadmap and forge a path? The desire, fire and passion is there I just have to find my direction. My goal is to become financially free by 43 (I know I'm old)

Any advice or feedback anyone can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
You're not old at all! Your best days are ahead. Plus you have experience of simply living where things can happen a lot faster than someone who is in their 20's.

I don't know what you could sell that would "fit" you but if you were a police office then you probably care about people and their welfare. Maybe sell something along those lines. There are infinite possibilities. As a random example, you could study the best policing methods world wide and create a course and/or write a book that could be sold to departments around the world. Or sell something very basic, like flashlights, but have professional specifications so they will never let people down in times of emergency.

Like I said the possibilities are endless. I don't know what's best for you but I definitely know you are not too old. In 10 to 15 years from now you should be in the best years of your life, years that you never knew how good it could be.

ji1029

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jul 8, 2021
Thank you to all who responded, it is appreciated greatly. I don't personally know any entrepreneurs in my personal life that I can hang out with and learn from so having this forum is invaluable.

If I can ask another question now. I can either try to get the ball rolling based off my savings which will last me a decent amount of time, or I can get a job to fund my vision which will require me to have knowledge of computer science. Do I go back to school and finish my CS degree which would cost me $30,000 is my estimate and be done by next December. OR try to get a job making $40-50k and try to teach myself what I'd need and build after work hours?

I apologize if this does seem like a dumb question but again, I'm trying to gain as much perspective from you all here as I can.

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...