The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sup bro's? What do you all need help with?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yeh, my idea was to create a blog that offered great content that would keep people coming back. I know attracting large amounts of people isnt going to happen overnight, but I thought through connecting with people via related forums, guest blogging, guest article writing for someones related subscriber list, etc could start generating traffic back to blog + word of mouth through this.

My thought was to create a blog, attract people to it, have them love the content, get the to subscribe by offering a free video, establish a relationship with them, then offer product/s. The blog with be, in your words, 'a place for them to find advice and perhaps discuss it'.

Ok. I guess I was asking should I go and get a domain url with the best 'keyword' match, or a domain url that is my 'brand name'?

A website that is very similar to what I want to do (blog, subscriber lists, sells products, etc) is marksdailyapple.com , which a Paleo or Primal diet website. Obviously his url isnt keyword focused e.g 'primaleating.com , the url is his brand name.

If you are doing something similar, then replicate what works. Either way it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to build a list up but no one ever sad it was easy.

As far as brand vs keyword, I would build a brand if you are really serious about it. Primaleating.com would have been great but if you can get a brandable keyword domain then just create a brand you can get behind. It will take longer to establish but that is fine because you can expand on it down the road. There is no de-facto decision to be had here, just pick something short and/or easy and go with it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hey Lighthouse, could you share some of your best tips on increasing conversions?

Maybe something like the top 5 things you tend to look for, or things that you've found that make the biggest improvements?

Thanks man.

I don't have a set of tips really, i just sort of use common sense when going over a form. Unless you have a ton of traffic, you most likley wont get enough data to do correct split, multi variate testing. So i step back and look at my forms, are they easy to fill out. Do they only get the absolute bare bones info i need. if i step back from the computer can i still decern what it is im looking at and what i need to do on that page.

Think about your 60-70 year old grandparents, if they went on the site, is it simple enough for them to know exactley what they need to do without getting frustrated? To me it is all about simplifying the page/form/funnel to get what the user needs to know across, and the data i need from them in.

If you ever get the chance to read the landing page handbook, it has a lot of great info to follow as well. I have read it end-to-end a few times.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Lighthouse - Sorry for the following stupid question... If I had a free iPhone app that generated a LOT of traffic, how can I make money off it?

I believe that millions would use it and enjoy it, but they wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, much the same way as youtube is extremely popular but if people were charged to use it, I think a lot of their users would disappear.

DO you have an iphone app that gets a lot of traffic? what is it?

kawasakirider

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 17, 2012
DO you have an iphone app that gets a lot of traffic? what is it?

I don't, but I am planning on outsourcing an IDEA and seeing what happens. I can't give away too much, but it's a very simple idea. YGPM for a bit more detail.

keza

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 29, 2012
I am trying to open my first website, I got some suppliers from WWB and contacted one for dropshipping he asked me to give the url of my website, I do not have one, how I am going to get accepted by suppliers before I have a website and how I can get it without products to expose on it?
I have been told to put some images from the web; but I can not find free relevant images. Do you know some websites where I can find free images. Do you think I should insist to get the suppliers accept to work with me before I work on my website or there is another way to do things ?
Thanks for your time dedicated to our problems.

In spirit of "Today you, Tomorrow me" for today i figured I would open up a thread for help/advice. Some of you already know me, some dont.

I may not be able to answer all the questions proposed here but that's what a community is for. Let's get your shit rolling today...

What are you struggling with?
What concepts don't make sense?
What can't you find?

What tid bit of info is going to push you up a step putting you one higher than you were yesterday?

Don't be scared to ask questions if you are new or lurking... just hit the submit button... we won't judge you :coolgleamA:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I am trying to open my first website, I got some suppliers from WWB and contacted one for dropshipping he asked me to give the url of my website, I do not have one, how I am going to get accepted by suppliers before I have a website and how I can get it without products to expose on it?
I have been told to put some images from the web; but I can not find free relevant images. Do you know some websites where I can find free images. Do you think I should insist to get the suppliers accept to work with me before I work on my website or there is another way to do things ?
Thanks for your time dedicated to our problems.

You could scrape together images and create a false site, but honestly that's a lot of avoidable work.

My best advice to anyone getting into e-commerce, is call the suppliers and talk to someone. They are asking for a website and everything because they get hundreds of requests a day, rather that give everyone and their brother access to supplier pricing they weed most of it out this way. I would do the same if I were in their position. Call a rep for the company and explain you are working on getting a site together. Maybe even have a domain and framework ready or even a domain and site with the future store logo and coming soon on it.

Calling them will not only establish rapport with the supplier, but in creating that relationship, you can get a lot more valuble info from them. Like the best moving products, products with good margins, future support etc.

mikejacobs

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 18, 2012
Anyone have any success with crowd funding or raising extra money for a commerical movie production?

We have some money already but more investment would really make a better product.

Moderator has Removed Link -- Please read Forum Rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Responded in that thread for ya!

Ozzieflyer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2012
Hong Kong and UK
Hi,

I am helping my wife with her business to launch in the uk she has done very well in Hong Kong but so far I suck in trying to get any real response in a different market
I pushed her to localize her website for the uk and then started some response testing on google, on two marketing tests we had over 100,000 ad views 1 % click through giving 1000 page views

Bad news only had 10 conversions?

So in this thread can I post the website to look at need to pm it the issue is why does it suck so bad ?

The other question is how do you build quality leads that do not cost the earth( average sale is $100) profit $65

Thanks

Ozzieflyer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2012
Hong Kong and UK
Hi,

I am helping my wife with her business to launch in the uk she has done very well in Hong Kong but so far I suck in trying to get any real response in a different market
I pushed her to localize her website for the uk and then started some response testing on google, on two marketing tests we had over 100,000 ad views 1 % click through giving 1000 page views

So in this thread can I post the website to look at or do I need to pm it ?
the issue is why does it suck so bad ?

The other question is how do you build quality leads that do not cost the earth( average sale is $100) profit $65

Thanks

D

Deleted5250X

Hey Lighthouse not sure if this is still an active thread but my question is should I build my website from scratch or should I use Wordpress or another content management system. I've already built a local real estate website and done SEO to rank on the first page of Google for local real estate searches and I built this using WordPress. I want to be able to expand into different markets and develop new capabilities not currently available on my site and also develop my own home search and listings tools instead of using the ones I've subscribed to, this involves taking content from a database which is updated daily and displaying it on my site.

Should I start from scratch or implement the word press first or another CMS first?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hi,

So in this thread can I post the website to look at or do I need to pm it ?
the issue is why does it suck so bad ?

Thanks

Feel free to just post it, its a legitimate reason, just remember that these are public forums so anyone and everyone can see.

Really though depending on the type of conversion 1% is well within the standard. But lets see some more info, and maybe there are some things you can do to turn that up.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hey Lighthouse not sure if this is still an active thread but my question is should I build my website from scratch or should I use Wordpress or another content management system. I've already built a local real estate website and done SEO to rank on the first page of Google for local real estate searches and I built this using WordPress. I want to be able to expand into different markets and develop new capabilities not currently available on my site and also develop my own home search and listings tools instead of using the ones I've subscribed to, this involves taking content from a database which is updated daily and displaying it on my site.

Should I start from scratch or implement the word press first or another CMS first?

Can wordpress do what you need to do on the front end of the website efficiently? Will you be making sacrifices by using it? if not they by all means start with something built. Don't forget there are tons of CMS's out there that could be a better option. Your job is to find the best fit and roll from there. The reasons to use a CMS if it works for what you need over building from scratch is endless.

The best is probably speed, you can have something up in a weekend and start working it to do what you need in no time. There is likely custom code already developed to do similar things, and if there is not, plenty of skilled workers waiting to be hired.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Do you happen to know where could I download a good Help Desk software package..?

Like WHMCS - The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support Solution

or just a ticket system? If you have hosting with fantastico or other one click install software running, there are a few free options that you can install in no time to get one running.

Ozzieflyer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2012
Hong Kong and UK
Here is the website Partybear - Home , target is 25 to 45 year old mums with 2 children under the age of 10 yrs old looking to save some money but still giving a fantastic birthday party for their loved ones? Average party is for 10 children with a spend of 11 pounds each? This includes the normal discounts given
The main drive of this stage is to get enough parties going to sustain excellent feedback, testimonials and referells . The marketing is good at this point as every child at each party sends back to us their name address age etc so we can then send them a personalized birth certificate for the stuffed toy they have just made? In hong kong it took 2 years and this time looking for a much faster uptake and thus self sustaining marketing new lead generation level. The idea for the fast lane is to then franchise the model and make money from selling the product to the franchise and also charging a nominal monthly fee for advertising , head office support etc. in the uk there would be at least 500 avail with each one being able to generate an income of $1000 to $10000 per month.
I am lost on setting up good landing pages to give the push for an email address, the one done so far is to detailed and does not give IMHO the why or call to action for the potential customer

One landing page www.partybearuk.com/discount

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Brett

SeekingValue

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 21, 2012
Not to hijack LightHouse's thread, but here are some recommendations :

1. No CTA above the fold. Your bottom CTA is OK (even though I don't particularly like it, would be worth split-testing design if you have enough visitors) but, do yourself a favor and add a CTA under that video! (I'd choose blue over green, but split-test it).

2. Need a better headline. Even though 20% discount is good, your headline needs to speak to your visitors. Put that discount near the CTA with some scarcity (deadline to get the discount?) and find a more appealing headline that will touch your visitors' emotions!

I like your landing page, you're definitely on the right path and 1% conversion rate isn't too bad, but I'm sure you can improve that number if you do your homework! You already know your customers, now my recommendation would be to get a copy of Ca$hvertising and start making small changes to your landing pages and see the effect on your stats!

Here is the website Partybear - Home , target is 25 to 45 year old mums with 2 children under the age of 10 yrs old looking to save some money but still giving a fantastic birthday party for their loved ones? Average party is for 10 children with a spend of 11 pounds each? This includes the normal discounts given
The main drive of this stage is to get enough parties going to sustain excellent feedback, testimonials and referells . The marketing is good at this point as every child at each party sends back to us their name address age etc so we can then send them a personalized birth certificate for the stuffed toy they have just made? In hong kong it took 2 years and this time looking for a much faster uptake and thus self sustaining marketing new lead generation level. The idea for the fast lane is to then franchise the model and make money from selling the product to the franchise and also charging a nominal monthly fee for advertising , head office support etc. in the uk there would be at least 500 avail with each one being able to generate an income of $1000 to $10000 per month.
I am lost on setting up good landing pages to give the push for an email address, the one done so far is to detailed and does not give IMHO the why or call to action for the potential customer

One landing page 20% Discount with Party Bear UK

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Brett

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I am asking this question because the internet gives you alot of opportunities to make money seo,internet marketing, eccomerce is all on the internet.

A other good question i got is:do you have to learn much about Seo,Internet marketin,Eccomerce when you can develop websites already?

Oh and another question in what order shall i learn:Seo,Internet marketin,Eccomerce,Webdeveloping.
A good friend of mine is a Boss at developing websites he can teach me if i want html javascript etc.

Greetz,
Roy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.