The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stumped on a brand/business/domain name idea

Idea threads

Liz Be

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
May 23, 2015
Santa Monica, CA
Hi all!

Maybe I'm not wired this way, but I'm trying to generate a name for my new blog business. It's not a unique topic but it is years worth of knowledge I've gained on passive income. Any name ideas? Been pulling my hair out for days now!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
proceedpilot.com / passivepilot.com
repeatedrevenue.com / revenuerelapse.com

everything else I am thinking of is registered or premium

Last edited:

Liz Be

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
May 23, 2015
Santa Monica, CA
While I'm at it.. I also have another area. It's a blog about personal advancement. In all areas finance personal relationships. Any name ideas would be appreciated

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Have you tried namemesh.com? You put in a couple keywords and it gives you a bunch of suggestions that are available. It helped me last time I struggled with finding an available domain.

Also, have you considered the new gTLDs? I.e. passiveincome.tips instead of .com.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Any of these do it for ya?

allpassive.com
sopassive.com
passivu.com
pillowincome.com (as in, while you sleep)
asleepcash.com
cashasleep.com
incomeap.com (income auto pilot)
passiveup.com (Come on everyone, passive up!)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
lizbepassive.com
passiveliz.com
livepassive.com

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
Can't believe I didn't mention this yesterday.
There are a few sites if you would like, however there is a cost involved.
They have freelancers come up with names for you. The prices vary, I haven't looked much into it but you will get many more suggestions than you will on here.

squadhelp.com
namingforce.com
sloganslingers.com
getaslogan.com
freelancer.com (go to the slogan part)

I know at least with namingforce.com you can put requirements in such as must not be a registered website and the like.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd just get the blog up and running and ready to go, you are always toss in a logo later and change URLs. It's easy to get stuck on the simple stuff.

Bossopolis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jan 13, 2015
Getting a good domain name is definitely one of the first biggest challenges for a new online business. I hope I can assist, since I own over 30 domains (some being used, some parked for sale and some for future development) here is the system that I use:

My 4 critical rules in creating a business / domain name are :

1) They are easy to remember. Generally two words max and the shorter the better !
2) They are unique.
Should tie into your branding and image.
3) Easy to spell. People should not have to keep asking you how to spell it when you say it.
4) Get the .com domain extension. Unless your business is local, only settle for .com (better for google rankings, remembering it, etc...)

Of course most good domain names are taken, but with creativity and various tactics I still find great domains even to this day...

Lets get started...

Write down a list of words that tie into your business to start the process. Use a thesaurus to come up with list of synonyms, I like to use www.visualthesaurus.com

A few of my favorite tactics to get a good domain website are:

1) If you already have a domain name in mind but it is taken and not being used, then you may have a good chance to buy it. I have purchased a couple sites using this method: First I do a WHOIS search if the website is not up, or there is no contact info. Using the http://whois.domaintools.com get their email and send them an offer to buy it. (Sometimes their info will protected / private though and not available) If you manage to contact them and they agree on your price, then use a site like www.Escrow.com to pay them so that you do not get scammed and they are also protected as well.

How to come up with good key words for a potential domain name:

2) Find 2 words that start with same letter and have good relationship to each other. ie: www.GreenGeeks.com www.MegaMobile.com

- Using your first key word, grab a dictionary and go through the alphabet on the first letter of that word to find your potential 2nd word. Hopefully
you will find a word that makes sense and is in harmony with it. So if first word is "Mom", look up words that start with M for 2nd word. ie: MoneyMom.com (again, many of these will be taken), but you get the idea...

3) A "portmanteau" is partial combination of two or more words into one new word. Pinterest (Pin + Interest)

4) Joining two complete words into one. Facebook (Face + book), Paypal (Pay + Pal)

5) Using a descriptor for 2nd word: ie: www.FatCow.com

6) Use name generating websites: www.bustaname.com/word_maker or www.dotomator.com

I have about 15 more tactics that I use with more name generating websites, but I am including those in our Entrepreneur eGladiator Guide I am developing... will gladly give it to you guys for free once I am done. Just send me a message if you are interested..

The Entrepreneur eGladiator Guide will cover things like how to create a domain / business name, creating logo / brand name, how to find suppliers from China and not get scammed, adding value, marketing tactics, how to sell on eBay, etc...

Hope this helps. Good luck !

Andy,

Bossopolis

Last edited:

Liz Be

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
May 23, 2015
Santa Monica, CA
All amazing ideas. I'm overwhelmed with the help you've all provided. Can't thank you enough. Will look at these more closely!

Bossopolis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jan 13, 2015
I spent a few minutes on one of the websites I mentioned above and came up with these domains below, just using the word "income". If you can include a key word in your domain name that pertains to your business it also helps with the google rankings...

I have one business that got rated on first page of google in under 2 months ONLY because I used specific keywords in the domain name. That was without spending a penny other then the domain registration fee. But it was a VERY vertical niche that has very little competition, so that will not happen in your case (or in most cases), but it will still help overall... All these are available at the time of this post.

incomefish.com

incomebud.com

incomeamigo.com

incomecore.com

incomekeep.com

incomememo.com

incomemodule.com

incomevine.com

incomendo.com

incomemill.com

Good luck !

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Why are you still thinking? Pick one and move. It's much less important than you think.

JUST_DO_IT._%28NIKE%29.gif

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.