The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Studying Java

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
I've been studying Java for sometime now. When I started searching for information, I searched websites and ebooks. A lot of websites were really confusing and a lot of ebooks were really difficult to read. I kept searching until I stumbled on a YouTube video. The video was too long to watch so I visited the website under the video link and I downloaded this book.

This book is the best Java material I've ever stumbled on. It's very self explanatory. The book is 268 pages. I've been reading this book for 2 months now and I'm understanding some things like classes, methods, comments, tests, etc. I am currently in page 45 now. I'm taking my time to read it so I don't forget most things. After I finish reading this book, I intend to read it 3 more times and look for other materials.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to get started on Java. If u need the website to download the PDF, ask me for the link in the comment section

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BreakAlive

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2018
I also recommend Effective Java 3rd edition by Joshua Bloch. This is one of the most recommended and best Java book in the industry.

• Banned

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
I also recommend Effective Java 3rd edition by Joshua Bloch. This is one of the most recommended and best Java book in the industry.
Thanks BreakAlive, when I'm done reading that book, I will take a look at this book u recommended. But have u started building any app yet? And also, how long have u been studying programming? I started learning 2 months ago

BreakAlive

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2018
Thanks BreakAlive, when I'm done reading that book, I will take a look at this book u recommended. But have u started building any app yet? And also, how long have u been studying programming? I started learning 2 months ago

Yes, I've released an app to the Play Store a year ago and been building that out ever since. I was working on it part-time along side my full-time job. But I've quit my job recently to focus on the app. Still trying to validate if it is a sustainable business idea.

I studied programming in university and have 5+ years of professional Android Engineering experience. I self-taught myself Android from just Googling and reading books.

If you haven't already, try to build mini projects with the knowledge you're gaining. It'll help solidify the concepts.

Good luck and keep going. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• Banned

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Yes, I've released an app to the Play Store a year ago and been building that out ever since. I was working on it part-time along side my full-time job. But I've quit my job recently to focus on the app. Still trying to validate if it is a sustainable business idea.

I studied programming in university and have 5+ years of professional Android Engineering experience. I self-taught myself Android from just Googling and reading books.

If you haven't already, try to build mini projects with the knowledge you're gaining. It'll help solidify the concepts.

Good luck and keep going. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

5 years + experience, wow. Thanks for the encouragement

Blu H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 24, 2018
Venice Beach
Good to hear OP about deciding to go all out with Java. However be careful not to get stuck in tutorial hell, and to actually build real projects with what you learn. Reading & studying code are ALMOST USELESS in my book.

The real learning comes from doing a project, and ideally doing it without copying someone else's code.

Copying code is especially a danger when learning from UdeMy. Be aware of these pitfalls!

• Banned

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Tnx a lot
Good to hear OP about deciding to go all out with Java. However be careful not to get stuck in tutorial hell, and to actually build real projects with what you learn. Reading & studying code are ALMOST USELESS in my book.

The real learning comes from doing a project, and ideally doing it without copying someone else's code.

Copying code is especially a danger when learning from UdeMy. Be aware of these pitfalls!
Tnx a lot Blu H, I'll take note of that

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
Awesome dude! I bought this udemy course on java by the legendary Tim Buchalka. Only $10 and has a whopping 90.4k reviews with a result of 4.6 stars. Nearly 80 hours of video content and 36 practice exercises.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Oracle actually has a decent set of articles on their website for an intro. It does presume knowledge of some basic coding concepts but otherwise they provide a great overview of Java specifics.

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Awesome dude! I bought this udemy course on java by the legendary Tim Buchalka. Only $10 and has a whopping 90.4k reviews with a result of 4.6 stars. Nearly 80 hours of video content and 36 practice exercises.
Wow, when I'm done reading mine, i'll buy it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Oracle actually has a decent set of articles on their website for an intro. It does presume knowledge of some basic coding concepts but otherwise they provide a great overview of Java specifics.
I'll look into this too. Thanks

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Wow, so many recommendations. Thanks guys for all ur support. I'm almost done with mine, so when I'm done I'll look into all those u've said.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for the info. Are you coding a project as you read it?

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for the info. Are you coding a project as you read it?
Roli, no i'm not. I'm a beginner. I'm still learning the basic stuff and I don't have a laptop yet to implement the stuff I'm learning. When I'm done reading all the stuff and I get a laptop, I'll start coding.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Roli, no i'm not. I'm a beginner. I'm still learning the basic stuff and I don't have a laptop yet to implement the stuff I'm learning. When I'm done reading all the stuff and I get a laptop, I'll start coding.

Ah okay. In that case think of something you want to code, and do it on paper. That way you'll truly know how much of the info is sinking in. Of course you'll still need to test it, but at least it'll give you an idea.

There are various online IDEs you can try out, just use that search term and see how you get on.

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Ah okay. In that case think of something you want to code, and do it on paper. That way you'll truly know how much of the info is sinking in. Of course you'll still need to test it, but at least it'll give you an idea.

There are various online IDEs you can try out, just use that search term and see how you get on.
Tnx, I'll do that

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
I can also recommend the courses of Tim Buchalka, they’re really solid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.