The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Steve Jobs on why passion is important to your success

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Even when you find a need, it won't be an easy road in 99% of cases. Passion helps you persevere.

[video=youtube;KuNQgln6TL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNQgln6TL0&feature=related[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
I will love to know the opinion of MJ and others great biz people in this forum about this....

because lately I been confronting this is my own head about the fact that my net biz based work is to boring and I dont really love to spend hours and hours in the pc :)

I will love to :

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
― Confucius

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I will love to know the opinion of MJ and others great biz people in this forum about this....

because lately I been confronting this is my own head about the fact that my net biz based work is to boring and I dont really love to spend hours and hours in the pc

Do you enjoy helping people? Do you enjoy improving the world? Do you enjoy making money?etc, etc.

You are not going to love everything about what you do, it's frankly impossible. There is always garbage to just drudge through regardless of what you do.

No one is insane enough to say do stuff you hate all the time, but at the same time anyone who has done anything will also tell you every minute of every day is not just having fun.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
You are not going to love everything about what you do, it's frankly impossible.

Well thats pretty obvious, but what really is smart :

is to manage the fine line between working in stuff that actually can be fun

or just pass your life working in stuff you hate but makes you money (i.e. day trading...)

thanks

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
is to manage the fine line between working in stuff that actually can be fun

or just pass your life working in stuff you hate but makes you money (i.e. day trading...)

I don't believe there is a fine line between the two.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Do you think I enjoy answering the same question, over and over, every single day on this forum? And then have to read a post from an ungrateful bastard (referring to another thread) about why he doesn't get his questions answered? (Because gee, you know, my time is free, and his is not). Probably not.

My passion is a higher-purpose which fuels the motivation to do what others won't, or in this case, what might seem boring or unenjoyable. On whole, I love my days, my freedom, and my ability to help others fire a dream.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
― Confucius

While this is true, it's simply unobtainable for most of the population. I'd love to play baseball or basketball for money but I'm not good enough. You have to be good at what you love, AND, there has to be a market for it. (A job opening where there is a need for your superior talent.)

I agree with the video, but the missing detail is the specificity of the passion.

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
Dont wanne step on any toes her MJ.

But do you wanne see a guy that's passionate about picking up dogshit from a park, who loves it. That`s the
guy that gets paid 2mill a day to do it. He maybe wont do it for 50 years but he will be passionate about picking up dog shit until he can retire. Not saying everyone is like me, but i would eat dog shit for 2mill a day :)

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
thank you MJ for your answer :)

This topic is something I struggle with since is referring to my lifestyle and the way I will live the rest of my life.

I thought was a good question that could bring some light to me and other people in this forum.

I look up to the more experienced people in the forum to share some insight and I honestly didn't know this question was ask before, it was my mistake.

I did put " I will love to know the opinion of MJ and others great biz people in this forum about this...." as it was a introduction not it other intent.

And then have to read a post from an ungrateful bastard (referring to another thread) about why he doesn't get his questions answered? (Because gee, you know, my time is free, and his is not). Probably not.

I agree with the video, but the missing detail is the specificity of the passion.

I dont know what you are refering to, but if I did something inappropriate please know that I didnt to that with with any propose.

Im looking foward to learn as much as I can from great people around this forum and I do respect everyone's opinion, like I will like to have mine opinion respected.

I think that in this matter that must be found a equilibrium between what the market demands and what you are willing to do . maybe im wrong. But I do tend to be optimistic. The key is finding that sweet spot between making real money and having a good life, not overstressed and hating your life.

thanks

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Passion or lack thereof is unpredictable happenstance. It impossible to 'plan' for having passion. Your brain will either be struck with it, or not; today, tomorrow or never.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
My passion is a higher-purpose which fuels the motivation to do what others won't, or in this case, what might seem boring or unenjoyable. On whole, I love my days, my freedom, and my ability to help others fire a dream.

While this is true, it's simply unobtainable for most of the population. I'd love to play baseball or basketball for money but I'm not good enough. You have to be good at what you love, AND, there has to be a market for it. (A job opening where there is a need for your superior talent.)

I agree with you.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Dont wanne step on any toes her MJ.

But do you wanne see a guy that's passionate about picking up dogshit from a park, who loves it. That`s the
guy that gets paid 2mill a day to do it. He maybe wont do it for 50 years but he will be passionate about picking up dog shit until he can retire. Not saying everyone is like me, but i would eat dog shit for 2mill a day :)

2 mil a day? I'd just breed the dogs because they must be shitting out gold!

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
In the context of the Confucius quote, I took Steve's talk of passion more generally. Passionate about WHAT? Designing devices? Or about having a vision of creating a huge technology company? About iPods, and iPads, and iPhones, and iTunes? Or passionate about changing the music industry, the phone industry, computers, and so on?

What you're doing could have plenty of aspects that aren't enjoyable, but maybe you're passionate about the big picture and that's what keeps your a$$ going.

Maybe that isn't what he meant, but it's how I digested it and it made sense to me.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
I agree with everything that my master says!!! :)

how dare poor people to quote Confucius ???

I dont care to read other people stuff I just troll and flame every topic

and have the nervs to say its to generic

whats the point off creating a topic if I can just eat dog.... poop ???

genius thinking around this topic no doubt around that ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump. =)

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Nice post. Thanks. I like Steve's video about passion with perseverance to the goal. Obviously that is going through the process. I agree with passion only to be driven to a need as MJ already stated. I think that is the key why some succeed and a lot are still working 40hr jobs. Unless, you know the difference between Steve's passion, forbes billionaires/millionaires, against the rest of the planet who work 40hr jobs?? I think it is obvious how far your passion will take you; either in the slowlane or fastlane.

MJ your the best, I finished reading your book for the second time and making so much sense. I will read it one more time to concrete everything and to get an A+ ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.