The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting work on the front end of my social networking website

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
I've sorted the back end of my social networking website now, it's not complete but I know how it will be completed. This means that I need to get the front end stuff completed within the next few weeks. What do you think the best way of created something of high quality is? Should I use a WYSIWYG editor or should I just brush up on my html and css and code it by hand? Are there any social networking html templates which I can work from? Also, are there any faults that you have found with existing social networking website which I can make sure I avoid while working on mine?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Re: Starting work on the front end of my social networking websit

If you can optimize your site in a way that is distinctive from the mainstream sites, then you should be in good shape to code the site, yourself. Otherwise, I'd go with a designer (possibly someone who is a social networker him/herself). Based purely on my observation, people are attracted to social networking sites not to meet people so much as they want to connect with those they already know at a place convenient for all of them. The games and apps available now--people are making a fortune on apps for social networking sites to the point where it has become its own industry--play a considerable role in site traffic retention. These apps give people something "to do" when they are on the site. It is an exquisite marketing technique.

Yes, there are social networking templates, believe it or not. You will have to google them.

What are your plans with this site? Are you looking to compete with the top dog that starts with an "F" or just something to build a nice lil' income or are you doing it just for the heck of it?

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009

To be honest I'm doing it because I want to do it and because I haven't got any other ideas at the moment and I want to do something. There are 2 main features which I am incorporating which could help it compete with the big names in the industry although I'm not doing it to compete with Facebook. If I manage to create exactly what I want to create then it will definitely bring in an income. Also there is a feature which I want to incorporate into the search function which my Dad (who has coded for over 20 years) thinks he could code. I'm not a very good coder and its not something I enjoy doing so I'm partnering up with my Dad, he's covering all the back-end coding and I'm supplying the ideas and he wants me to sort the interface/front end stuff although I'm struggling even with that.

songwriter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 25, 2010

A social networking website is quite a beast. It seems like you don't have the technical skills needed to do this. But lucky for you, you have your dad. And actually, I'm quite envious you have such a great resource that will help you for free. With you youthfull intuitiveness and your dad's tech skills you guys should be able to create something pretty awesome. Keep us updated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.