The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting 5 years early, looking for some help on startup

Of my two ideas which augmented reality app do you love more?

• Augmentor : Ingredient and Chemical Compound Information App

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Studious Nomad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 11, 2016
Portland, Oregon
Hey all, this is actually my first large post here.

First, I'm Matt from Knoxville, TN. I've been to war, started a business, got a chemical engineering degree, and still have no F*cking clue what I enjoy doing. My interests currently align with the virtual reality technologies that are emerging and I find myself drawn to them more and more as I write about them. I got super excited when I discovered the startup known as Magic Leap, I actually have had so many ideas running through my head since then that I feel insane. So knowing that I am putting together a five year plan to create my own startup company. I've never thought that far ahead about anything so this all seems pretty foreign to me at the moment.

So, the first thing that I want to take a look at are the technologies.

Magic Leap: This company is using a untethered wearable technology that utilizes a dynamic lightfield emitter to produce images inside of your retina. Their main focus is on augmented reality and the he entire thing has me bugged out (in a good way). Basically, with normal virtual reality you have the whole tracking and sensing mechanisms that monitor where you are, they also use pixels which require high frame per second processing to provide a really clear image. The whole point of virtual reality is to trick your body into thinking that it is in a different environment. Any sort of glitch whether that be tripping on a cord that you are tethered to, seeing pixels blur as you move close to an object, or smelling your cat use the litter box are all stimuli that will bring you back to reality and take away from the experience.

What Magic Leap has done is create a pixel free image producing technology that uses spatial sensing to provide the image relative to the outside environment. This basically gives you the ability to walk completely around the hologram and it will react to you as you move about the room, their are no pixels because the technology uses fiber-optic projection to send the image to your retina... It's truly amazing

Microsoft Hololens: Microsoft has also recently released a similar device that lets you create amazing holograms, these two companies are competing at the moment so I won't say as much about Microsoft. The difference between Microsoft is that they will be releasing their tech earlier for companies to get started developing with. Microsoft recently put their Hololens on sale for developers at the tiny price of $3000.00 and estimate that it will be 5 years before the product makes it to the public sector. They have also made their software developer friendly and have an app market like the google playstore, as well as a holographic storytelling app that anyone can use known as Actiongram

This time-lag of 5 years and the fact that developers are creating apps prior to the public sector having access to the technology really has me interested.

I am highly interested in putting together a successful 5 year plan and I have so many ideas to get started that I can't focus.

I would be highly interested in connecting with anyone interested in pursuing this type of startup, I also invite you to post your own ideas here about apps that would be great for this augmented/mixed reality technology

you can learn more at:
http://www.magicleap.com
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us
http://www.govrhero.com

So, here are a couple of my ideas that I am really contemplating

Augmented Reality App Ideas:

Augmentor
Using a sophisticated camera to identify color changes (white on black) (yellow on black) (black on white) the software will scan the environment. When the software algorithm has recognized a pattern matching a cross referenced dictionary/ scientific journal check it will then compare that word to a database containing all of the information about that word pulled from the internet. This information would then be accessible through the augmented reality application using gaze targeting or simple gestures. Predefined searches could be assigned such as ingredients, chemicals, brand names.

GoDojo
By hiring several martial arts experts from around the world this application could be used to train anyone in any type of martial art for a monthly price. These experts could be choreographed performing martial arts style attacks that you have to defend against, meanwhile an algorithm will randomize and constantly learn from your successes to create an even tougher opponent on the next round. This is probably my favorite idea so far as I am experienced with martial arts and see the benefit of self defense for women and men.

and...

I will leave the rest of my ideas in the dark for now. Please don't hesitate to post here, I'd really love to see what you guys can come up with.

Thanks, and I look forward to connecting with you in the future.

-Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'm also following the AR developments closely and I really hope it will once become an important medium in our life.

Your apps are nice, although I think there's still space for better, more useful apps that fill bigger needs. Examples: GPS, travel and museum guides, face recognition, drones ...

Anyway, I hope there are lots of people thinking like you. It's still a risk, you don't know if Magic Leap/Hololens will be the new "Google Glasses" (unlikely though). I think it's because of that we lack decent content and software for VR right now.

Studious Nomad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 11, 2016
Portland, Oregon
All of the app ideas that you have mentioned are going to be cornered by large companies with huge R&D budgets, I am looking to sneak into the backdoor somehow. I might just invest in these startup companies and scrap the whole start up idea, it seems just as profitable with considerably less risk. Thanks for your input Longinus, I hope that these techs become widely used.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
I am not going to pursue this so I will share this idea for devs in VR. The NLP and other techniques suggest visualization as a way to reaching goals. If one would be able to make an app or whatever that helps visualization (VR is the best visualization tool in existence) or even become the leader of the niche or whatever, there is a lot of money in it.

Studious Nomad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 11, 2016
Portland, Oregon
I am not going to pursue this so I will share this idea for devs in VR. The NLP and other techniques suggest visualization as a way to reaching goals. If one would be able to make an app or whatever that helps visualization (VR is the best visualization tool in existence) or even become the leader of the niche or whatever, there is a lot of money in it.
I would say that the best way of producing a visualization type app such as this would be to create an avatar MMORPG. Here people could connect with each other, interact with the way people visualize their goals, and influence or network with like minded goal seekers. This would essentially be a new type of crowdfunding, that would kick a$$. Thanks for the contribution Germandude.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
I would say that the best way of producing a visualization type app such as this would be to create an avatar MMORPG. Here people could connect with each other, interact with the way people visualize their goals, and influence or network with like minded goal seekers. This would essentially be a new type of crowdfunding, that would kick a$$. Thanks for the contribution Germandude.
That's even better. Whoever makes the VR counterpart of http://secondlife.com/ will enable people who want to spend some time away from their regular slowlane lives and live in an actual fantasy world. Let's face it, a big part of the population would love to escape their reality and fantasize about being rich and famous. Whoever enables them will be actually rich and famous.

Studious Nomad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 11, 2016
Portland, Oregon
That's even better. Whoever makes the VR counterpart of http://secondlife.com/ will enable people who want to spend some time away from their regular slowlane lives and live in an actual fantasy world. Let's face it, a big part of the population would love to escape their reality and fantasize about being rich and famous. Whoever enables them will be actually rich and famous.
I would love to create a company around this, I need to go find some VR programmers that can make it happen. Are you sure you wouldn't want to pursue something like this Germandude? I would be interested in speaking more about it with you as the technology becomes better.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
I would love to create a company around this, I need to go find some VR programmers that can make it happen. Are you sure you wouldn't want to pursue something like this Germandude? I would be interested in speaking more about it with you as the technology becomes better.
I live in Europe and don't have the capital for something like this right now. If you have a way around that feel free to email me: amarhasik@gmail.com

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I've had this idea to create a 3d (web)shop. Things like those are already in the making, but I'd like to 3D scan EVERYTHING.
Also being able to create you own 3d webshop, and 3d scanning won't be that expensive in a few years, it already is quite cheap btw.

This way you don't have to go to the store anymore, but VR or AR you can come up close, and maybe even try clothes on etc.

But that's a few years away, but if you'd start with that now, you'll be a pioneer!

If someone gets rich due to my idea, please give me a humble 10%.

I'm a programmer myself, but programming for VR and AR seems quite hard. Both with algorithms and the visual aspects... But I'll definitely try it.

Studious Nomad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Apr 11, 2016
Portland, Oregon
I've had this idea to create a 3d (web)shop. Things like those are already in the making, but I'd like to 3D scan EVERYTHING.
Also being able to create you own 3d webshop, and 3d scanning won't be that expensive in a few years, it already is quite cheap btw.

This way you don't have to go to the store anymore, but VR or AR you can come up close, and maybe even try clothes on etc.

But that's a few years away, but if you'd start with that now, you'll be a pioneer!

If someone gets rich due to my idea, please give me a humble 10%.

I'm a programmer myself, but programming for VR and AR seems quite hard. Both with algorithms and the visual aspects... But I'll definitely try it.
I originally wanted to create a platform where you would take an image from a photograph and be able to render it in a 3D environment using some sort of algorithm, this seemed redundant as microsoft has already created a scanning tool that does just this. What sort of programming do you do? Do you work on web applications or more on the C++ / network security side of things?

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I originally wanted to create a platform where you would take an image from a photograph and be able to render it in a 3D environment using some sort of algorithm, this seemed redundant as microsoft has already created a scanning tool that does just this. What sort of programming do you do? Do you work on web applications or more on the C++ / network security side of things?

Mainly (web) apps. I have knowledge in C#, so in Unity I would be able to create VR apps. Just have no knowledge in games/complex algorithms yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.