The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spitballing Ideas -- How To Benefit From The "Grexit"

Idea threads

Adam Secada

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jan 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
Assuming it happens, of course.

Off the top of my head --

1. Targetted microloans for Greek citizens -- they are limited to 60 euro atm withdrawals at the moment.
2. AirBNB to Greece for an extended staycation. Prices for everything will plummet. (Not even joking. GF is on AirBNB right now contacting property owners who are desperately trying to rent out their place. Get in on this now.)
3. According to Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs, a collapse of Greece would threaten the very basest needs of Greek citizens. We would get to look forward to mass firings, riots, a potential exodus from Greece (The general consensus from the Greek friends I have is "If you have money, GTFO of the country now."). Any venture which addresses these base needs will see increases in sales (Assuming Greece has, you know, a viable currency.).

Citigroup (C) analysts think that a Grexit is imminent.
Guy V. has gone viral, slamming Greece in European Parliment --

Any other cool stuff we get to look forward to?
GO!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I work as a glorified Travel Agent in the UK and I can honestly say that the hotels are literally giving away the room nights, similar to Tunisia

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I see another option here. I'm hesitant to say it because it seems kind of scummy. Like taking advantage of desperate people. If you have access to decent financing, some great deals on prime property and businesses might be coming up soon. Think seaside resorts to be scooped up for pennies on the dollar.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago...ideas about how to help but capitalize at the same time.
Almost wanted to pack my bags and head to Santorini for an extended stay :)

But now that Greece has reached a deal, do you guys think these type of ideas are still viable?

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/eurozon...-agreement-on-greece-says-eus-tusk-1436771076

I've been to Greece and loved it. Its a beautiful place with great weather. The people are industrious and passionate but can be also be laid back. I have no doubt they will eventually come out of this, though it may take a while.

It sucks to be such a small country and be taking that kind of heat from the entire Eurozone. The population of Greece is only about 11 million people total....about the size of Ohio or Georgia.

9Days-Gems-Of-Greece-SantoriniPhoto1.jpg

Khalid Grant

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 9, 2015
Tourist: What is the hotel price?
Hotel owner: 150 Euros
Tourist: Wait, is the per night or for the whole hotel?

Okay, okay, that wasn't nice. I think they're in a desperate situation but not sure how to add value/help them at the same time benefiting. There would need to be serious safeguards in place to get money back out of the country. It's very tricky. I suppose you could snatch up property and hope that the price doesn't fall further and that the government doesn't jack up taxes later to make up the shortfall.

Adam Secada

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jan 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
But now that Greece has reached a deal, do you guys think these type of ideas are still viable?
I'm going to rant for a second.

Jesus God in heaven, why is it when I want politicians to get off their asses and fix a problem (I don't even care what it is -- FIX SOMETHING.), they just sit around and bicker, filibuster, and just sort of make me hate their guts. AND THEN when I want them to do nothing -- you know, business as usual, THAT is when they realize "Oh shit, thats right, we have these fat paychecks, we should make it look like we actually do something." and then they reach a deal.

It's the elementary case of Parkinson's Law. Politicians never get anything accomplished, UNTIL someone tells them that the sky is falling and the world as they know it will come to an end unless they do something. Then, like a pixie fart from Tinkerbell's a$$, they magically fly across the aisle, cooperate and come up with a deal. It happened with Grexit, it happened with the 2008 Crash, and it happened with the Federal Shutdown of 2013. These guys all suck.

Phew. OK. Rant over.

Not to skew the topic at all, but if distressed properties are what you are after, though, wouldn't Detroit still be an extremely viable option?

If Greece is what you have targeted, you would definitely make sure it is an investment property, and not something you plan on flipping. The Greek real estate market is going to be extremely volatile moving forward, so you would need to be OK with fluxuations in the valuation over the next several years (If I recall correctly, the austerity deal is a 5 year plan, right?). While I am no authority on real estate, if it is something anyone in this thread wants to get up to speed on, head over to biggerpockets.com, they exlusively deal with REIs.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
I don't think this is a good idea at all. In my opinion, it violates the Commandment of Control big time.

How can we know that a Grexit will go down in a calm way? It's very complicated and if any mistakes are made, then chaos will be insured. One of the popular political parties in Golden Dawn. I don't think they are in favor of foreign "opportunists" who e.g., buy real estate for pennies on the dollar.

I think it's too great of a risk (as long as your surname isn't Soros).

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
I took advantage of the mass hysteria that caused equity indexes to sell off but going forward I don't really see anything else to jump on.

Greece is a small part of the EU. Germany, France, Italy aren't going to pull out of the EU just because Greece screwed up.

G

GuestUser140

Over here (Europe) we've been hearing the following for months now:

"Next Tuesday/Thursday we will know the final verdict on Greece."

Every. week. the same.

You could help and have some fun by traveling there and spending cash. Give locals some disposable income that way.

REI? Your choice, but it would only make sense for politicians to raise money from one of the few sources it's still coming: foreign investors. It's different from the States or other places in Europe, where you know in advance how much tax you're going to have to pay.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.