My business mentor developed a QuickBooks plug-in for his own business, and since he works on that as his main cash generator, he asked if I wanted to handle marketing and selling the plug-in to generate us both some extra cash. One main strategy we have is to create an affiliate program that we will market to QuickBooks consultants. Then, since each consultant has multiple customers, they would do the selling for us and get our product to their clients who need it most.
As I was thinking about this, I realized how easy it would be for a consultant just to buy our product, and then just share the .exe file with all their clients or even resell it, only paying for it once. Our product is priced at $250 and can easily save an hour or two each week, so it pays off pretty quickly and I believe it is good value for the price (we are going to test different prices and see what is best, but that is further down the road).
One thought I had would be selling packages where we give them access to download the product 5 or 10 times, but just reduce the price from $250 to $200 a unit. Then, consultants could either be affiliates, or just buy a package and then give their clients the download links.
Do you think that I should lock down our product with a registration key?
Also, we were thinking about an affiliate commission of $50. Since our affiliate strategy is to enroll consultants, they already get paid to help solve their customer's problems, so the $50 would be a bonus on top of finding the right solution for the end user. Is this faulty thinking? What would you recommend?
As I was thinking about this, I realized how easy it would be for a consultant just to buy our product, and then just share the .exe file with all their clients or even resell it, only paying for it once. Our product is priced at $250 and can easily save an hour or two each week, so it pays off pretty quickly and I believe it is good value for the price (we are going to test different prices and see what is best, but that is further down the road).
One thought I had would be selling packages where we give them access to download the product 5 or 10 times, but just reduce the price from $250 to $200 a unit. Then, consultants could either be affiliates, or just buy a package and then give their clients the download links.
Do you think that I should lock down our product with a registration key?
Also, we were thinking about an affiliate commission of $50. Since our affiliate strategy is to enroll consultants, they already get paid to help solve their customer's problems, so the $50 would be a bonus on top of finding the right solution for the end user. Is this faulty thinking? What would you recommend?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
