The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software Developers: AI shouldn't be scaring you (yet, anyway...)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
I keep saying over and over that ChatGPT (or LLM AI in general) as it is currently isn't a concern for software developers and I finally found a good example:

View: https://twitter.com/charlierward/status/1638303596595892224

Here's a twitter thread of a startup founder who used ChatGPT to make a chrome extension in 45 minutes, with no development experience.

"Oh Skroob, you brilliant yet vexing raconteur," you may say. "That's scary! He's never coded in his life, and now look at him! Shipping bits like a CodeAcademy valedictorian (a thing that I assume exists)!"

While this may be true, my sad hypothetical strawman, take a look at what he built. It's a chrome extension that "displays new marketing quotes with each new tab" on his startup's website. From a developer's standpoint, this is effectively trivial. A pre-written database of quotes, and the code to pick one at random and spit it out.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that he's able to do this. It puts the basic concepts in the hands of anyone, so they don't have to pay guys like me obscene amounts of money to do it for them. But if you're building your business on the back of writing trivial apps... you don't really have a business, you have a house of cards. Business of cards? Anyway.

I use AI tools a LOT. ChatGPT helped me write this post ("what's the word for a pretend person who has intentionally bad arguments you can easily refute"), and it's been super valuable in helping me flesh out business concepts. Github Copilot is a great example too: it helps me write the boilerplate kind of code that I can write but would rather not, because my actual job is solving complex problems.

Developers should be using this stuff as a tool. If it takes your job, you weren't good at it anyway. If it takes your business, you weren't really bringing enough value to the table.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.