The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Social Medias Effect On The Human Brain

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Someone posted recently about how you should get off social media because it decreases your attention span. I cannot remember who posted it but I wanted everyone to watch this video.

It actually has a pretty deep message. The first time I watched this two years ago I couldn't take it. I watch it now without a problem. What about you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I don't know about attention span, I think all of the internet and technology plays into that, but I have noticed an improvement in my quality of relationships, and a greater appreciation and enjoyment of my day-to-day life once I got off facebook. I deleted my account 2.5 years ago, and after 2-weeks of withdrawl, I haven't missed it.

My wife asked me to block hers after the election, she's already telling me how nice it is to have it shut off.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I watched this video with my roommate and he said it was torture. This is a dude that watches YouTube videos while playing video games because alone they are too boring.

As a 21 year old I hate cell phones and social media. When you go hang out with people everyone is just on their phones. It's even worse with teenagers that I have hung out with.

Take a look around a cafeteria and groups of people just stare at their phones and might talk about what they shared on Facebook or liked on Instagram. I have been to parties that were lame but the pictures the next day make it seem like it was the best party of all time. I've been in shitty relationships that the pictures and captions underneath make it look perfect. I've had a girl almost break up with me because I didn't post anything about us online.

You mindlessly scroll through Instagram for an hour and you cannot even remember what you looked at because you saw 1,000 images over 60 minutes. I know because I've done it and afterwords I feel like I'm not doing anything with my life.

Sometimes I wish I was born in the 70s. Maybe then friends would want to do things for fun and not just to look cool online.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
My wife asked me to block hers after the election, she's already telling me how nice it is to have it shut off.

The election has created so much shit on social media it's ridiculous.

Fredrik B.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 8, 2016
Norway
I made it through the video without opening any tabs, in full screen mode.

This whole Facebook/YouTube/Instagram thing has been getting out of hand for me lately. I noticed that I started to pay more attention to it and neglected focusing on what I really should be focused on.

Today, after reading the thread "No news for a week" challenge, I decided enough is enough and installed the Safari Script that blocks out my Facebook newsfeed, I unsubscribed from all the junk news on YouTube. It's been 12 hours since I did this.

Here's what I accomplished between 08.00 and 14.00

1. Finished a case study I'm working on for my exam (1 hour of uninterrupted focus)
2. Read through my Economics notes on consumer theory and completed 3 comprehensive problems (2 hours of uninterrupted focus)

I hade lunch and a brisk walk in between here (1 hour)

3. I solved 3 more comprehensive problems on consumer theory (another 2 hours)

By batching my time into blocks, cutting out social media and time wasting YouTube videos with no real value to me, I got more done in one day than I usually would get done in 2 days.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It actually has a pretty deep message. The first time I watched this two years ago I couldn't take it. I watch it now without a problem. What about you?
I would say it has some merit. I believe I get bored with Social Media, because it doesn't stimulate my brain period. I'm so used to reading books, blogs, articles, courses, workshops, that my attention diverts to more important content, I skip over the things for the most part in Social Media. As I look through the feed and post, but get bored, because I know it's wasting my time and unproductive.
I can sit an watch an hour or two hour video with no problem if I know it's important content.
I believe it depends on the person. And if you're an Entrepreneur, it probably doesn't matter to us much to be on Social Media in the first place.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
As a 21 year old I hate cell phones and social media. When you go hang out with people everyone is just on their phones. It's even worse with teenagers that I have hung out with.

Ironically, my best friends only respond to my texts 50% of the time. And when I was on Facebook, we never ever talked or commented on each others shit. They are just never on their phones. Too busy living life, for real.

I have been to parties that were lame but the pictures the next day make it seem like it was the best party of all time. I've been in shitty relationships that the pictures and captions underneath make it look perfect.
When you see this every day, everyone having a perfect life, it can make you start to feel jealous. On some level you start to think that everyone is wildly happy and successful and that your life is bleak and uninteresting. It's not healthy.

I've had a girl almost break up with me because I didn't post anything about us online.

2.5 years ago, I got rid of my Facebook account, and then made another and added 5 friends: my dad, mom, brother, sister, and wife. I look at their pictures once every few months. My Mother-In-Law is STILL upset that I'm not her friend on Facebook. She literally made a frustrated comment about it to my wife this weekend while they were talking.

"But we're his family too!", she said. Give me a break.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Proud to say I have no form of social media. And haven't since 2011.

Besides this forum and one other I don't do any socializing on the internet. I only try and keep it productive.

But I'm not perfect and I often watch videos on YouTube, look at cars and read about stuff that isn't directly related to my improvement.

AGS

Knock Knock ...
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 14, 2016
Eveywhere
Someone posted recently about how you should get off social media because it decreases your attention span. I cannot remember who posted it but I wanted everyone to watch this video.

Wasting time on social media is a lot worst than watching soap operas on tv ;)

My policy is, I only use it for business..Had a 'professional' profile in Linkedin with thousands of contacts, after two years I realized the only one benefiting from it was guess who?, yup, LinkedIn so I said F*ck it and deleted the account. I re-open a new one but only to grow my business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.