The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smoking is HORRIBLE, kill it before it kills you!

Are you a smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I am quitting it

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I'm working right now on my laptop while hearing my dad on the other computer desk puffin hard from the nose every few seconds. Having difficulty on breathing. It's so annoying, HORRIBLE, makes me feel sorry for him. He smokes since about 25-30 years ago and while a few years back he used to neglect it, by throwing an excuse to justify smoking, today he can't say "oh boy, it doesn't do much harm to me".
For some reason I never had any desire to start smoking, and I never will, ever. I always used to think that drinking, smoking or eating anything other than natural elements destroys your brain gradually, creates bad habits and puts you off the track of any noticeable success. I notice most smoking people gradually become too sloppy, lazy, create bad unconscious and unhealthy habits and you can smell mediocrity from a mile away.
Most people start smoking either to escape a bad situation they were in, or to look cool but either way they get off the narrow road of self growth.

If you smoke, make yourself a long term favor and kill this killer habit. It's a myth that you can't do it. I know a few people who stopped smoking long ago and still don't!

If you can't quit smoking, then you're WEAK, you're a wussy complainer, an unconscious creature, admit it.

If you could just hear my dad puffing right now from being a regular smoker, you would never ever smoke again. I'm actually going to record him shortly and post it online!

An entrepreneur is not a smoker or drinker, it's a man living for a greater purpose and living consciously every day!

Putting my earphones on now and the sound loud, too annoying listening to the puff...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

bgladecki

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 26, 2013
Yes sir, that is true. I smoked for 6 years. It's hard to quit while you think ciggarettes gives you something (relax, concentration etc.). Truth is different - smoking gives you nothing. There is great book about smoking - Easy way to quit smoking by Alan Carr. This guy encourages to smoke all the time while reading his book. And at the end you just don't want to. Great one. It made me stop long time ago. Greetings and thanks for sharing.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
This guy encourages to smoke all the time while reading his book. And at the end you just don't want to. Great one. It made me stop long time ago. Greetings and thanks for sharing.
Seems like a smart method for those who want to at least make an effort. I personally think there's no habit that you can't change over time but like most worthy things in life, it is a process, not an event. Just like building a stable fastlane business. If you persist to achieving something long enough in a proactive approach, the universe has no other way but to obey. We have to learn to be process driven, small after small progress.

buwatcha

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 12, 2013
I quit cold turkey over ten years ago. Never had a drag since.

The one thing I tell people who are trying to quit is this -

Unlike dieting or trying to quit drinking once you get past a certain amount of time with quitting smoking you no longer crave it. It goes away completely. So, it's not going to be a lifelong struggle feeling deprived forever. Just get past the beginning which is hard but then you are home free.

D

DeletedUser2

If you can't quit smoking, then you're WEAK, you're a wussy complainer, an unconscious creature, admit it.

yep great way to motivate someone.... not

so I was doing some hypnotic work with my father several years ago. and this is what I found.

1. it was not about the nicotine. or the habit.

he had a "secondary gain" which is to say, his reason for smoking was more about an unconscious behavior, and emotional need he was trying to fill.
When I worked with him, peeling back the layers of "why" and "what" i began to notice the pattern was not about the nicotine, or the habit of smoking. it was about an emotional connection that he was trying to recreate.

here is the basis.

my father started smoking when he was 11. the reason, was he was there were 3 other boys in the neighborhood that smoked as well. they were 14. to a young man, at 11, looking up to these 14 yr olds, and wanting to "belong'" to that group, was a really powerful desire.

I mean, who didn't want to hang with the cool kids, who were older?

Ultimately they moved, he moved. and he kept smoking. and 99% of his habit was focused around the unconscious desire to "belong" to a group. to be a part of that cool kid situation. it was what drove him to do his habit, and spend money, and ignore all the pleas of his family to stop.

the sense of belonging is a CORE belief, its amazingly strong, and can push people to do amazing things (good or bad) in an attempt to create that sense, or emotional connection. the behavior was cemented in place when he smoked, with the other kids. he "belonged" and his smoking for the next 50 yrs, was an attempt by his brain, to recreate that emotional feeling. when I suggested that he "belonged" to a family, it changed how he viewed smoking. 50+ years of smoking fell away, and the habit was just starting to change and drop away. now it was the process of letting go of nicotine, and some withdrawals, to get him to quit.

he passed away in 2012. 50+ yrs of smoking took their toll.

the lessons i learned from it was pretty powerful.

if you can make your business have a behavior that aims at one of those core emotional states, you can have customers for life.

the real reason people do things are often times not what they say they are.

uncovering your own unconscious behavior patterns early, and modifying them, can lead to a better more well thought out, and self directed life.
Good luck on your journey.

and sometimes headphones are the only answer...

Z

although I agree with the original post, of dropping the smoking habit, I do disagree with the HOW to do it.

on another note, I have known several people who are super sucessfull entrepreneurs who, Smoke to much, drink to much, do drugs to much, have way to many bad habits. its not the bad habits that define you as a slowlaner or not.

its finding and connecting the right things to those core emotional states, that helps you become one. they will help drive you past all obstacles, and barriers.

'

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

From time to time someone here feels the need to express their opinion like this. Yes, smokers know this. AND, WE DON"T NEED TO BE REMINDED OF OUR WEAKNESSES BY YOU! For myself, I've been able to switch to E-cigs and feel real good about the change. Not a cigarette in about 9 months. My wife has not and I don't get in her face about it. When the time is right she'll change. We also stopped drinking almost 4 years ago. Most of our friends and family don't even realize it.

I think most folks that meet us think we're an okay couple.

Are you going to try and help your dad or treat him with disdain?

sethnejame

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I used to smoke cigarettes. It went hand and hand with my drinking. Then it carried over into my normal, sober life. I had tried to quit a few times and I'd last for 3 or 4 months and then crack again.

Eventually what kept me off was (and still is) thinking about how shitty I feel when I do smoke, and how amazing I feel when I don't. It's like night and day. Different things work for different people.

If you watch that video of Peter Sage that someone else posted on the front page, he says that people have problems forming new habits because the approach them with the wrong frame of mind. If you think of quitting smoking as "I used to smoke, but I quit" chances are, that mindset will enable a relapse. If you make a staunch decision and just believe in the fact that "I am a non-smoker" or "I am not a smoker" the terminology sets you up for success. It doesn't even allow the possibility.

Hopefully I explained that in a comprehensible way. . .but anyhow, I agree with the concept. I'm not a smoker.

Another thing that helps is building healthy habits to replace the shitty ones. Who wants to have a cigarette after a 5 mile hike? I sure the hell don't. :D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved.

Damian2015

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yes sir, that is true. I smoked for 6 years. It's hard to quit while you think ciggarettes gives you something (relax, concentration etc.). Truth is different - smoking gives you nothing. There is great book about smoking - Easy way to quit smoking by Alan Carr. This guy encourages to smoke all the time while reading his book. And at the end you just don't want to. Great one. It made me stop long time ago. Greetings and thanks for sharing.
thank you sir for posting the title and author of the book i will have to get it for my mother, she is also smoking and then at 3 am i get woken up by her coughing it's not bothering me to be woken up all i do is turn over and i fall asleep again but it's the fact that she is destroying her life with smoking, and smarty i agree with you 100% man, if you observe smokers more closely they do have a tendency to sit down and have a short "break" from work to light one up which is in fact just an excuse to smoke, after they do they need half an hour to get back to work

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.