The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slumdog Millionaire Here

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
I picked this title for the thread because of where I was born: Mumbai, India.

I was a misfit and a rebel growing up. I dropped out of 8th grade and never looked back. Getting an education in India doesn't pay well unless you have numerical intelligence.

I started out flipping cellphones in the offline world, and selling contraband online. I dealt with a lot of contraband online and offline- but I do not advise this and wouldn't do it if I were in the same situation again. To give you an idea of the scale of contraband, I use to send out hollowed-out cricket bats with several kilos of contraband in them by regular air mail and they all made it to their destinations. I was 14 years old.

Then without knowing much about *nix, networking or server administration, I started a web hosting business. I sold it a year later for about $20,000. This is about the point in my life when I started drinking too much and doing drugs- which would cause a lot of problems for me down the line and still does to an extent.

Because of the excessive drinking- I contracted tuberculosis of the bone and lost a lot of weight. I weighed 32KG in late 2006, it was that bad. But there was a silver lining to this. The booze and drugs were out- because of the medications I had to be completely sober for a year. I started a leather exports business and made $100,000+ profit within a year from one forum thread selling directory submissions. A natural progression of this was the formation of an SEO and Social Media services company that I'm still involved with to this day. In my 1 year sober, I made money (well over a million dollars), started working out (literally doubled my weight) and could have made a lot more money if I were level headed and cared about customer retention. As you can see on the Digital Point thread, I blew that gig/got complacent, and it coincided with Google Updates that made links from directories less effective (quality over quantity).

I spent the next several years in a daze, getting black out drunk on a near-daily basis and doing the bare minimum work required to keep coasting. I was making $3500-5000/mo which is a pittance and should have been my daily income if I were working at full capacity, but it was sufficient to live well as a teenager in Mumbai.

I went to "rehab" in 2013 for 6 months- which did a lot more harm than it helped. After I got out, I spent the next couple of years living illegally in Thailand- which was a positive experience on the whole although I did not make much progress financially.

I am now in Sihanoukville, Cambodia and this is the story of my life so far. I am almost 26 years old.

I am tired of trying to work up the next big scam and want to improve my personal integrity and build real businesses that last (still with a fast-lane approach though). Basically, make my life more like Tetris. Consistency over short lived thrills and wins.

I like this forum.

Ravi a.k.a "Jay"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I spent the next couple of years living illegally in Thailand
Coincidentally ThaiVisa sent out an email today about the Champions of Overstaying. People are getting rounded up, deported, and banned from the country

Any issues getting back in or did the fine take care of all that? Guessing you're in the clear

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Hey Jay,

Welcome man - you got me curious, what's next for you?

What made you choose Cambodia by the way? I have seen quite a few 'digital nomads' choose Cambodia as a living place lately.

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
Coincidentally ThaiVisa sent out an email today about the Champions of Overstaying. People are getting rounded up, deported, and banned from the country

Any issues getting back in or did the fine take care of all that? Guessing you're in the clear

No problem, I got out a little over a week before the March 20 deadline. The immigration website still has the warning, haha. Been back twice already. My brown skin and toilet paper passport + non Indian accent always confounds them. I use "Bangkok Flight Services" fast track and and always wear a tie and go thru the "Elite visa" lane for $40. The Thai are more about looks and presentation than substance. If you look and act important, they don't F*ck with you.

@HoneyBadger I picked Cambodia because of a combination of (relative) poverty, inertia and easy visa. I was wrong about the visa though, even this country doesn't want Indians. People from the Indian subcontinent and Africa can't just buy a business visa as "westerners" can. So I had to pay more money for the paperwork and go to the consulate in Saigon for a visa. China + Central America are next for me.

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It's the proverbial end of the line for white people "expats".

Gavinmac has written a great article:

http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/07/7-reasons-why-you-really-shouldnt-move-to-cambodia/
haha Thanks.

"the “Cambodia Parent Network,” where they exchange tips on how to raise their doomed offspring in a country where no responsible Western parent would ever voluntarily raise a child. Cambodia Parent Network? Good grief. That’s like starting the Chernobyl Gardening Club." :woot:

I met a guy on a flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok once and ask him about the local hospitals. He said something along the lines of "The local hospital is great! It's located in Bangkok though"

PP is fun for a few days but a bit depressing after that. Everyone is dirt poor or in a Range Rover

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
PP is fun for a few days but a bit depressing after that. Everyone is dirt poor or in a Range Rover

I'd rather go back to India than live in PP, and that's saying something. It's disgusting. Sihanoukville is okay though. Barely, but livable.

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
I hated Vietnam too. Not lived there/long enough but been several times and the only towns that I really liked were Dalat and Hoi An. The rest of it is a savage 3rd world shithole just like India, mostly because of the traffic and aggressive/scam everyone you can mentality that everyone has.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I hated Vietnam too. Not lived there/long enough but been several times and the only towns that I really liked were Dalat and Hoi An. The rest of it is a savage 3rd world shithole just like India, mostly because of the traffic and aggressive/scam everyone you can mentality that everyone has.​
I loved Saigon and Mui ne. Hard to get beneath the skin of a place in a week though.

Well..time to get some work done. Best of luck in sorting everything and I wish you the best on your journey. Cheers

sravi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 1, 2012
I loved Saigon and Mui ne. Hard to get beneath the skin of a place in a week though.

Well..time to get some work done. Best of luck in sorting everything and I wish you the best on your journey. Cheers

No one speaks English in Vietnam. Why in the world would anyone want to learn VIetnamese (or Khmer for that matter). It just doesn't make sense. This whole national identity shit has to go. It's counter-productive for everyone. They're part of the Sinosphere so it would be more acceptable for them to speak Chinese/Mandarin at the very least than an obscure language that nobody else does. Because numbers.

I make an exception for Thailand having lived there, I can say that they are a civilized peoples. People from all over the world come to retire in Thailand, so there must be something to their culture (and language is the prism of culture). Indochina on the other hand, is basically a shithole. Sure they might have fantastic history, but I don't care much for that. Today, their culture is weak and poor. Same as India.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...