The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slowlaners & FastLaners. Can They Peacefully Coexist?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
If you ever have tried talking to a slowlaner then you are sure to have encountered that slowlaners just don't understand fastlane nor will they ever. I have learned that it is impossible to convince anyone that does not have the same mindset nor should you try.

Do you guys think its possible to form relationships with people who don't understand and who are against fastlane techniques (obviously not family).

I am learning just to surround yourself around those who think, act and feel the same as I do. Similar beliefs mean a lot and i think the slowlane belief and the fastlane belief are a very very different mindset.

For Example - Joe A. wants to be the president and Joe B. sits around and plays starwars. Can Joe A. and Joe B. have a really meaningful relationship?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I think they can both enjoy the same basic necessities in life but other than that, psychologically their paths go seperate ways, conversation is going to be going over each others heads and they are going to make each other yawn.

i.e Joe A talks about his big visions and plans whilst Joe B doesn't care or understand

Joe B talks about the The Voice that he watched last night whilst Joe A doesn't care or understand

So if we look at it like that, all in all, a pretty meaningless conversations happening, one doesn't get the other.

When we are starting out we find ourselves in these situations all the time because the vast majority of people are slowlaners, which is surely a good thing for the rest of us. Fastlane wannabes and apprentices (like me) and real fastlaners are much fewer and further between so it is more diffucult for us to encounter one and other in the beginning due to the numbers in the favour of slowlaners. Therefore we have to co exist peacefully with one and other.

Fastlaners need consumers, consumers need producers. One cannot exist without the other.

In terms of relationship I think we just have to bear with it and accept each other for who we are and that is what happens and our social groups reflect this as we grow older. I am alligning myself with fastlaners as much as possible because they are the people that are going to point me in the right direction to help me get what I want, but slowlaners are going to benefit from the things I do (which in turn will benfit me). To me that is what relationships are founded on, mutual give and take.

So, despite the different perspectives, I think that the relationship between Joe A and Joe B could be meaningful, although, not natural in terms of social enjoyment.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
As stated, both Slowlaners and Fastlaners need each other; so yes, they can certainly coexist peacefully.

As far having meaningful one-on-one relationships with each other, anything is possible. I'm sure many Fastlaners have family members--probably even parents--with the Slowlane mentality. If one has good relationships with other people, conflicting philosophical viewpoints shouldn't necessarily destroy those relationships.

However, the dynamics among them will be undoubtedly different, and the ability to relate on business and financial terms will only go so far. This is unless, of course, the Slowlaner decides to go Fastlane... which is hardly guaranteed, but always a possibility (at least, much more likely than a true Fastlaner deciding to go Slowlane).

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
As stated, both Slowlaners and Fastlaners need each other; so yes, they can certainly coexist peacefully.

Absolutely!

I had to ditch a friend in the past year. She was a poisonous Sidewalker. Calling her a Slowlaner is being too generous. I have another good friend who is a definite Slowlaner, but she understands me. She doesn't "get" me, but she understands me. I think we'll be able to stay friends.

As far as family goes, I just don't talk to them anymore about anything related to business.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think I should've mentioned that Sidewalkers are too dangerous to have close relationships with, if you really want to be successful. If you have Sidewalker family, keep them at arms length.

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011
If you ever have tried talking to a slowlaner then you are sure to have encountered that slowlaners just don't understand fastlane nor will they ever. I have learned that it is impossible to convince anyone that does not have the same mindset nor should you try.

Do you guys think its possible to form relationships with people who don't understand and who are against fastlane techniques (obviously not family).

I am learning just to surround yourself around those who think, act and feel the same as I do. Similar beliefs mean a lot and i think the slowlane belief and the fastlane belief are a very very different mindset.

For Example - Joe A. wants to be the president and Joe B. sits around and plays starwars. Can Joe A. and Joe B. have a really meaningful relationship?

Never talk to a sidewalker or a slowlaner about your project, he'll give you a lot of reasons why your fastlane project is going to fail. It's cool to hang out with sidewalkers but if you've been sorrounded with fastlaners, you'll immediately notice the difference in how they think and act and you will feel like you're just wasting your time with them. At least that's my experience.

I hung out with my corporate friends last night for a couple of beers and I really pity them that they don't value their time like my fastlane friends do. Their conversation was about their boss being unfair, their co-workers' personal lives and the same old stories at work. Damn I was so bored that I was browsing this site on my Iphone while they were whining about things. At the same time I really feel sad for them that they don't know what their wasting- TIME and the opportunity to make things happen, they could've used their time last night researching for a need or finding a product to sell.

Always sorround yourself with winners because you're likely to adapt their habits and mindset. But of course, if possible always be a mentor to someone and share what you learn, that way it'll motivate you to work even harder and smarter because you know someone is watching you. And i've read somewhere that one of the best ways to learn is to teach others what you've learn AKA repetition :) And it's also a good feeling that you're making someone else's life better....

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Sure, don't be a dick. It's that easy. Stop acting like 'Fastlane' is some special club, and thinking you need to seek the approval of others.

I'm sure you have friends of different religions\political views\backgrounds\etc and you can be happy with them, right? This whole 'fastlane' thing is like that, only a lot less personal.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
It depends on how enlightened each person is. Thankfully money can't buy enlightenment, tolerance, compassion and understanding.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
I'm sure many Fastlaners have family members--probably even parents--with the Slowlane mentality. If one has good relationships with other people, conflicting philosophical viewpoints shouldn't necessarily destroy those relationships.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! I have slowlaners and sidewalkers in my family. I'm not in the fastlane yet (I'm still studying and learning), but I've already started to notice the difference in mentality between the three groups (sidewalkers, slowlaners, fastlaners). Lately, it's been kind of hard to talk with my family because of some of the things they say. I can't wait for elections to be over with because all they talk about is the economy (and how terrible it is), how there are no jobs, how expensive gas is, etc. I bite my tongue, but sometimes I really just want to tell them that they could go start businesses, which will help with all of those "problems." Some of them, even have enough money that they could start a business without loans! As you probably can tell, I'm still in the process of trying to figure out to remain close with my family because I do believe family is important without letting their beliefs and mindsets get to me.

Joehenny

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 31, 2012
Sunny Cali
Yes they can can but the real question is. Why would you want to?

I work with a large amount of males between the ages of 18-50. The good majority of the ones I socialize with mostly are early to mid 20's.

Most these people are losers. They're not even side walk, hell they're drive way. Most don't have any plans for their life, don't think further than a week out, and spend more than they make constantly.

Most of the guys used to frown when I would discuss saving money or investing, they would tell me it's stupid to save money because you'll always make more and you could also die at any moment. That's when I realized I was surrounded by morons. Oh and don't let me start talking about a business I got into a heated argument with one of my co-workers and since then stopped talking about any of that stuff.

Most people I realize now are not only pessimistic towards life, but also lacking in critical thinking and planning skills. They'll whine about their situation but never change it. Some of these guys were in tough spots too where they had kids (kids more than one) and only making not enough to pay bills and not think to get a second job or side income? Or maybe go back to school?

The sad thing is a good majority of people are like this. They live lives they hate, never change them and then go out on the weekends and digest toxins to alter their brain chemistry and give them an escape from their dull realities. I have learned to peacefully coexist with these people but only out of necessity. Why waste time around negative energy? Why waste time talking about chasing women an what show is out? Why? When you could be investing your time into being around positive people who focus on the same thing as you and want to help you reach your goals.

I value my time and my thoughts so I am now more careful what I expose them too. I dropped about 95 percent of my old friends and even stopped using Facebook as it's the same thing. I can say one thing has been a major benefit: TIME once you eliminate all the unnecessary people/distractions you have even more time to focus on your goals and desire and you have time to think about what you really want.

So again I say you can but why would you really want to if you don't have to...

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011
Yes they can can but the real question is. Why would you want to?

I work with a large amount of males between the ages of 18-50. The good majority of the ones I socialize with mostly are early to mid 20's.

Most these people are losers. They're not even side walk, hell they're drive way. Most don't have any plans for their life, don't think further than a week out, and spend more than they make constantly.

Most of the guys used to frown when I would discuss saving money or investing, they would tell me it's stupid to save money because you'll always make more and you could also die at any moment. That's when I realized I was surrounded by morons. Oh and don't let me start talking about a business I got into a heated argument with one of my co-workers and since then stopped talking about any of that stuff.

Most people I realize now are not only pessimistic towards life, but also lacking in critical thinking and planning skills. They'll whine about their situation but never change it. Some of these guys were in tough spots too where they had kids (kids more than one) and only making not enough to pay bills and not think to get a second job or side income? Or maybe go back to school?

The sad thing is a good majority of people are like this. They live lives they hate, never change them and then go out on the weekends and digest toxins to alter their brain chemistry and give them an escape from their dull realities. I have learned to peacefully coexist with these people but only out of necessity. Why waste time around negative energy? Why waste time talking about chasing women an what show is out? Why? When you could be investing your time into being around positive people who focus on the same thing as you and want to help you reach your goals.

I value my time and my thoughts so I am now more careful what I expose them too. I dropped about 95 percent of my old friends and even stopped using Facebook as it's the same thing. I can say one thing has been a major benefit: TIME once you eliminate all the unnecessary people/distractions you have even more time to focus on your goals and desire and you have time to think about what you really want.

So again I say you can but why would you really want to if you don't have to...

+1 my friend

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
For my wife(slow to no laner) and myself we co-exist perfectly. Ok well maybe not perfectly but pretty darn good.

So how do we do it? I love to work and she does not. So I work and she doesn't even though she is a long long way from retirement age. lol

Actually if she had a career I am sure she would have kept working but it was just a job to make money.

Sort of funny, almost every woman I lived with for more than a year ended up quitting their job and not working by THEIR choice. I just really like working even if it was at a convenience store as a cashier and another full time job at minimum wage doing factory work.

For me I am old fashioned and think IF the woman doesn't want to work and would rather take care of the house etc, the man should make the money.

BUT if a woman wants a career, business of their own etc hey more power to them for sure.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This is like the old "is college worth it?" question. It depends on the person.

I think the important thing here is to build relationships with people who empower you, and are generally, happy. I am friends with "Slowlaners" and from what I can tell, they are happy. Like politics/religion, I don't impose my "beliefs" on them. It is not for me to say, nor define, what makes one person happy. A lot of people are perfectly happy with a 9-5 and the "normal" path.

I am learning just to surround yourself around those who think, act and feel the same as I do.

This will limit your experience. Sidewalkers and Slowlaners will open your eyes to many opportunities, and also, help reinforce your road. Additionally, Fastlaners ultimately need to hire Slowlaners/Sidewalkers.

She was a poisonous Sidewalker.

Perfect example of when it's time to cut-the-cord of a relationship.

And it's also a good feeling that you're making someone else's life better....

A simple, innocuous statement that's likely to be overlooked. I challenge anyone who is "on the fence" about entrepreneurship (Fastlane or not) to create something that adds value to another's life, and THEN observe how it makes you feel. The feelings are multitudinous; self-reliance and self worth to name just two.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Obviously sidewalkers and fastlaners can't co-exist. Its the anti-thesis. Guess who is going to be the first person a sidewalker goes to for a "bail out", thats right, you!

As for a slowlaner and a fastlaner, its totally possible. As long as there is this mutual understanding, respect, compassion and tolerance.

A healthy slowlaner-fastlaner relationship would probably look like this: "Joe Blow I understand you are an entrepreneur and not an employee, you are a leader and a visionary, and it takes months or even years to get a worth while product or service into the hands of consumers, I am here to fully support you and cheer you on during those years/months."

A toxic slowlaner-fastlaner relationship: "Joe Blow you big dummy, why don't you get a job and go to grad school instead of reading those stupid books and messing around with those stupid programming languages and dumb businesses."

The same goes for a fastlaner to a slowlaner; we need to show the same traits towards them as we want them to show us fastlaners in our relationships.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.