The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Side Hustle - renting out my cargo trailer - any tips?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
Side hustle TLDR:
I have a 6x14 ft enclosed cargo trailer with an air conditioner and microwave in it that I am no longer using. I am going to start renting it, at first advertising it to my existing customers.

Questions:
  • Does anyone have experienced doing rentals not on a marketplace?
  • What did you do for a rental contract?
  • Insurance?
  • Or, should I go ahead and just list it on rvshare or outdoorsy?
  • What haven't I thought of?
  • Any huge liabilities I'm opening myself up to here? (would/could be rented under my business LLC)
  • I would like ~$200 per rental, so would structure as a 3 or 4 day rental period at $50-65/day. Does that seem reasonable?
Is there a need for this?
I see tons of folks at the track with rented u-haul motorcycle trailers (open, not enclosed) and lots of folks camping in RVs, and some even sleeping in their cargo van, pick up truck's bed or tents on the ground. So, I believe there is a demand for an enclosed trailer rental that can transport their motorcycle(s), locked and covered, and potentially, can sleep in the trailer. BYOB, bring your own bed.

The why?
Obviously side income and testing the waters for expansion with other cargo type trailers. For the renter: if you've ever rented a U-haul from around Los Angeles, it sucks, it takes forever to pick up and drop off and you feel like just another sale. For the extra money vs renting u-haul, they would get to have the trailer for a lot longer, which means no need for them to stress about picking it up and returning it in a 24-48 hour rental period. It gives them more time to get the trailer loaded for the event, stress free.

More Info...
My main gig is running a motorsports photography company in Southern California at road race courses. This is the existing customer base I would be advertising to.

The trailer is small enough to be towed by a minivan/small SUVs and it's like a no frills toy hauler / camper. Although there is no emergency exit window, so in theory they could get locked inside if someone closed all the bars on the doors while they were inside. If you put a padlock on the bottom of the bar that goes over the side door, it won't shut, maybe that's good enough? Or maybe I should either say "no sleeping in it" to CYA or install an emergency exit window.

I have a website that attracts hundreds of potential renters per week that want to view their photos online from the motorsport event they were just at -- so could promote this right on the site and send out an email blast. Also promote on our instagram (6300 followers).

20210430_161537 (1000px).jpg

inside bike (1000px).jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.