• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Show me where I am wrong -- Growing and monetizing a new website

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Zest, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    Here I'll post what my general ideas are when it comes to growing and monetizing a brand new website. I am absolutely green when it comes to this so for those who have been there and done that, please do tell me where I am mistaken or flat out wrong about any of what I am about to post.

I have purchased a domain through SiteGround and installed WordPress on it. It will be a blog with a specific business slant.

As I see things currently, my focus is to post as much quality content as possible. That is the easy part for me. Content comes naturally. And I can write virtually non-stop because that's what I've been doing privately since 06.
    That is my number one priority.

My second priority is to improve the look and functionality of the website. I will learn what I can when it comes to coding, but I'm not opposed to hiring someone to do it for me either.
    After the website's look is more presentable, I'll focus on driving traffic through it by any means that I can.
    As I get more traffic, I'll get more feedback on what topics people want to learn more about and I'll tailor the content to that.

With time and effort, I may create a product or e-course and sell it through the website.

So roughly the idea is:
    Post content
    Polish website
    Scale website
    Determine interest level
    Sales

There will clearly be overlap between all of these. However, for anyone that has been there and done that, I'd appreciate your advice (brutal or not)!

2. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,210
    What is the content of your website?

ClaverCasley and Zest like this.
  3. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    The blog will focus on specific lifestyle choices and outcomes. Many of the examples will be from my own life since I have an interesting background (at least that's what I hear some people say when they meet me). The content will be from my own life but may also include examples from other entrepreneurs that I know, have met, and have worked with.

I never considered going in this direction. It was only when I spent years around different people from entrepreneurial/creative backgrounds that I thought what I have to offer is of value, or comes from a different point of view.

Already having said this I can tell that it could be very broad, probably too broad, and probably to a fault. At this point I don't care because as the articles get written I will try as hard as possible to tie them in to a few main themes.

At any rate luckily the actual production of the content is not an issue right now.

sparechange likes this.
  4. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    Oh and by the way, this is without a doubt a multi-year project. I am under no illusion that it will be quick or easy. I am not primarily doing it for the potential financial freedom. I just love the creative output, and what comes of it will be what comes of it.

However having said that, it would be foolish on my part to not have a rough estimate or time-frame for the different phases of this endeavor.

5. 404profound

404profound Platinum Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,912
    The only thing I see "wrong" with what you've shared is it's not too focused on the needs of your audience. Having an interesting / useful perspective from life experience is a good thing, but knowing how that solves a problem or adds value for others is going to be your key.

6. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    You are absolutely correct about that. I'm considering meeting with a lawyer so he can explain what I can and cannot write about because I have a noncompete with my current company that I am a contractor with, which happens to be extremely vague and has not been enforced well when others have left.

If that ends up being less of an issue than I think, I can target a much more specific message with much more considerate message as far as the audience is concerned.

Tommo likes this.
  7. DVU

DVU In Progress Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,785
    If you are going to go down that route you need to blast social media with snippets of content to drive traffic.

This will help: The GaryVee Content Model

Zest likes this.
  8. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,210
    So you do not plan on making any money for the next few years?

Not sure if I'm to much of a fan for having a blog/life choice site. The people that choose to have unhealthy life styles would be near impossible to switch imo, also I imagine there are already millions of similar sites out there.

Zest likes this.
  9. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    I think I have a lot of learning to do so I'm unsure how rapidly I can monetize something like this. Nothing against making money very soon. Instead of first building up a blog and blasting out free content (the easy part), I could work directly on creating a product and marketing it.

sparechange likes this.
  10. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $4,210
    There ya go now were talking

Zest likes this.
  11. Zest

Zest Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $152
    And to address the comment about millions of other sites out there - I'm not too worried about that. I'm aware of the top sites and businesses and how they operate and what they share. Lots of it great actually. But this will be different.

My only real weak point at the moment is being able to create a simple, solid, functional website... even a couple or a few eventually.

sparechange likes this.
  12. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,525
    Zest likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.