The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I try to change what my parents think?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
When you see this title, it's not what you think. You're first thoughts will be something about my parents not agreeing with what I'm doing or go to college/uni etc. Infact, it's the complete opposite.

My parents have been serious sidewalkers for most of there life. They buy a house they can't afford. Spend money they don't have. Complain about there job all the time. You know, the usual sidewalker...

As of recent, we've had a few problems around the house. The TV broke. We need a new water tank for the bathroom. Basically, theres a few other things around the house that needs to be done here and there that cost money. Nothing too expensive though.

The problem is, they don't really have much interest in working towards something or sorting any of the problems and it really irritates me. My dad comes home and watches tv until he goes to bed or plays games on his ipad. My mum sits around pretty much doing nothing. Outside of work, they do nothing productive and never aim to improve there lives.

I don't really know how to address the situation. Part of me feels disrespectful when I address the problem to them because, well, they're my parents. I feel like I don't have the right to say anything. Nevertheless, the other half of me gets really annoyed with the way they look at life, because I'm totally opposite to them.

I've challenged them before to there actions but they don't really respond to what I say. My dad has a very negative outlook on life. When I ask him "when you we buying x" or "when are you sorting y" his responses are something along the lines of "I'm 53 Luke", "You have yet to enter the real world", "Everything costs money". Essentially saying "Feel sorry for me".

I don't want to challenge them or question there decisions. I'd happily help them all I can, but I don't see how I can help them when they never seem to help themselves.

I have thought about sorting the things that need to be sorted. But in the long run, I don't really see how this will change anything. They wont change there ways and there mentality will be the same

That being said, I'm currently working on a project/app. While I can make cash quickly and easily, it will take time away from my project so I have to weigh up the opportunity costs and I don't know what's right decision.

In no way do I mean to be disrespectful towards them. I just want them to live better lives and do better things, making better decisions. I don't really get how they can live doing the same boring shit everyday and wonder why they don't want more life.

Am I being selfish/disrespectful?
Should I just leave them to it and for me to just get on with what I'm doing?
What can I do to possibly change things, if anything?

I'm very thankful for my upbringing. I don't mean to be judgemental. It's just I hate seeing things how they are.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
You'll never change someone who can't admit there is something wrong and doesn't want to change.

On the flip side, not everyone wants to change. They might be happy as is.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Change yourself, and when they see grow, maybe they will get inspired too.

You can only have the power to change yourself, focus on that.

And dont give them any money if they ask for that lel

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
You'll never change someone who can't admit there is something wrong and doesn't want to change.

On the flip side, not everyone wants to change. They might be happy as is.

I can definitely say they are not happy. Infact, i've seen my mum break down over work and often be depressed. I feel my dad also has some sort of depression.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Show them by doing. Earn their respect.

My best friend got no respect for his crazy business ideas. Until he used extra money from his ventures to buy a bass boat his Dad had always wanted and could 'never afford'. After that, his Dad was his largest investor.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're 21, why are you hanging around worrying about your parents lifestyle?

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
Show them by doing. Earn their respect.

My best friend got no respect for his crazy business ideas. Until he used extra money from his ventures to buy a bass boat his Dad had always wanted and could 'never afford'. After that, his Dad was his largest investor.

This is what I'm aiming for. My dad wants a Range Rover and my Mum wants a new kitchen/conservatory. I will no doubt give them what they want in the future.

You're 21, why are you hanging around worrying about your parents lifestyle?

Because I want to see my parents live a better life?

G

GuestUserX09

This is exactly my experience and yes, it is very annoying to be hustling nearly all awaking hours and they come home and watch tv until they fall asleep. Everyday. With no voiced ambition to do otherwise. Yet.... I'm the irrational one? The one who doesn't have it figured out yet?.... Yeah, its annoying.

I agree with @sWALK90 - I started putting my head down and hustling, and I hear the tone in their voice change. When I'm hustling on the computer, they always assume I'm playing games, even if I clearly say explain that I'm not. But, they do have viewing rights on my bank accounts and there's this silent wave of belief coming over them as they start to see the results. They're wondering maybe... just maybe.. I wasn't bs'ing them and I'm actually hustling.

I wouldn't dare try to teach them verbally. I've been there and it sucks.

Some quotes from my notes when it comes to helping people that I've found to be true through experience:

"Don't share your knowledge with those who are innocently ignorant. They will squander it and cause you pain. It's not judgmental, it's just reality" - Tai Lopez (Through synthesis of classic philosophy), I've done this with too many people. They suck you in and then crush you with their ignorance. Stay back and mind your business until you are certain that their mindset can at least meet you half way.

"God help the man who has to teach someone who is not ready" - Voltaire, Explanatory. It's a lose-lose situation.

"Teach on the 'others' timeline. Cause a bit of pain and discomfort. Persuade the change" - Joel Salatin, i.e. hustle until you make more money than your parents. They will most likely feel pretty confused and uncomfortable and will want to hear what you have to say then.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I agree with the others , older adults are the hardest to convince of new concepts . Specially the kind that has to change their way of thinking. I have tried many times to show older people that there is more to life then just a 9 -5 but usually they are to stubborn and stuck in their ways to even entertain the thought . You will just have to show and prove . It's much easier and alot less stressful that way.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Everyone is right.
You can only help them by leading by example.
You are their baby. You will always be their baby. Why should they listen to you?
You have to show them.

By the time my father really respected me, he was dying.

Be a good son, by being a good son.

Buying them shit ain't it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.